NEurope

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mbnmac

i have today used a control system like the rev (longish read)

I have experienced the revolution style of control

don’t jump the gun, i’ve not handled the controller, or played any revo game, i’m not trying to pretend to be an industry insider.

but i have used a style of control that is very close.

I am attending University of central Lancashire (UCLAN) and one of my subjects is, introduction to immersive digital environments (a few people will know right away what is meant by this)

This is about using stereoscopic screens and systems, and eventually we will be making models for this environment.

Today we got a show of just what this is about (the lecturers are pretty cool, they let under grads use the system, whereas most uni’s won’t let students near the gear (it did cost £1/4million))

One of the lecturers is very into games, so for one of the demos of this 3D modelling he used Quake 3.

Now, i’m not talking a full on death match here, it was used to show control and the feel of a true 3D environment, and i was the one who got to have a go (lucky me :D)

As this was fully immersive, it was done using a head set (and if i got closer to the screen it changed perspective) that was used to determine where i was in the room (to give perspective on screen, so things ‘felt’ closer or further away as well as if i ducked down and looked up) but i had a hand control, which dictated how i moved (i point, press a button, that's where i go)

there was no shooting, it was just a walk about a fully 3D Quake arena (its cool walking towards a gun and being able to almost reach out and touch it)

but i can tell you, it felt right, a little clunky due to it being Quake and not made for this system (the coding was all done by the one lecturer) but the control was intuitive and just made sense.

on a side note, we have 3D monitors (without glasses etc) aswell, and they think that in the next 5 years you’ll see these become very common in peoples homes. The screens we were using however are about 8ft tall and about the same wide (not widescreen, but there were 3 screens in total so it had the effect)

if some thing needs explaining i’ll talk about it, just wanted to talk about somehting cool that had some relevance to the technology in the revo.