NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Jav_NE

Xbox Live without cable modem

Hey guys,

I've recently moved house and used to connect to Xbox Live through my NTL modem. The area i've moved to however doesn't have cable available and so i've had to use a different provider, of which is now Tiscali 2mb broadband.

My question is, how on Earth do i connect to Xbox Live using it? When testing the connection on the 360, it recognises the wiring to network adapter but fails trying to recieve the IP address. I'm a real dumbass with this stuff, i believe i have everything connected in the right place.

How i've got it is as follows; the wire in the 360 goes into the back of my PC (it doesnt go into the new modem i have for tiscali, its a different connection on it, i belive because Tiscali uses the phone line. The modem is connected to a USB port on the computer and to the phone line.

It's got to have something to do with dialing up producing new IP addresses each time i think? Anyway, the network settings for the LAN connection to the 360 always says limited or no connectivity, and when trying to repair it it tries to renew the IP address but fails.

What have i got wrong? Is it not possible to connect this way? Do i need a router or something silly? Logically i'm thinking its because the 360 is only connected to the PC and not to any internet providing equipment, as it was before with my NTL modem. But then, it faisl also when trying to configure Windows Media COnnect, surely that has nothing to do with the internet yet it still cant recieve an IP address.

As i said, i'm a total ditz with this stuff. Any help would be appreciated. If anyone here does use Tiscali or similar dial-up broadbrand with Xbox Live, please let me know how you do it! Thanks.

Have you checked your firewall? That could be the problem. Also, when i was trying to connect my ds through my computer, it said that "limited or no connectivity" thing. What i did was went into network connections and clicked "set up a home or small office network". I followed the instructions and it worked. You have to click that the computer connects directly to the internet when given the option.

It worked for my DS, not sure about a 360 though!

Shit you're right, my DS doesnt even work now! What's going on?! Tried that small office network thing, doesnt seem to have helped. I use the nintendo dongle, says same thing about IP and stuff.

Oh man, i hate this, why does this stupid area not have NTL! I havnt changed any settings i used to have but now all of a sudden nothing can get online other than internet browser :(

Anyone have any ideas?

Is internet connection sharing enabled? You should enable that on the connection your computer uses to connect to the internet. The easiest way to do this is using the wizard that stev2604 mentioned.

What's your firewall?

AVG, though i had it turned off.

I think i figured it out. I went to the settings of the Tiscali Connection via the network connections page on XP and in one of the tabs there there was the option to share the connection. I had to play around with the options as it kept saying some file wasnt available and some other crap.

Anyway, i figured out that becuase i had 2 LAN connections, one for the 360 one for the DS, i had to choose one in which to enable the internet sharing with. In the options for the 360 connection, enabling DHCP and DNS check boxes made it work. God knows why.

I havnt yet tried to get the DS onto WiFi yet, but i presume i just select that LAN connection when setting up shared internet. Though does this then mean that you can only share an internet connection with one LAN device at a time? Seems a bit odd, but hey, i got Xbox Live up and running so im hoping the same techinique will work with the DS.

Well enabling the DNS and dhcp made the xbox360 get the ips from your PC. Then your PC acts as a gateway for the 360.

And do put the firewall back on, as it's very bad to not use one... In the settings there should be something like trusted zone or similar. Just set the Xbox360's IP there or make the interface (this is better as the DHCP assigned ip to the 360 can change) to which it's connected to trusted. This should allow the xbox360 to connect to live with the firewall on.

And you're probably right about the DS thing.

edit: Getting a router is not so bad a thing. It helps to protect your computer from attacks (if it has NAT) and you don't have to have the PC on if you want to connect to live. And if you get a WLAN router that is compatible with the DS you can connect that also without the PC. Still having software firewall is a good thing as if something actually gets in to your PC e.g a malicious program, the software firewall can prevent it from connecting to the outside internet. But you'd have to get one that has an ADSL modem in it also.

Yeah i might have to as i cant get the DS to work. The light on the dongle only temporaily flashes, then goes off. Like i'll try and connect and if the lights gone off it will say no access point on the DS, or when it is flashing and im trying to connect it doesnt say there isnt an access point but fails after a little while trying when it does.

Unless you know of any reason why this is happening? Thought it mightve been because the dongle was on a USB cable that extended round to the back of the PC, it wasnt a problem before though but i tried the dongle directly in the USB port and it was still the same.

Either somethings wrong with the dongle and a router is the alternative if i want DS, and Wii i guess, online, or i've messed some settings up. I've had enough trying to make things work today though!

Edit: I lie, the dongle flashes constantly now all of a sudden after an error came up randomly... weird. But, still cant connect, DS says connected to device but cant connect to server. The woes continue.

Sign in to follow this