N-Europe

Blue Screen after launching a game

arab_freak

About a week ago, I was having troubles with my GeForce FX 5200. Any game I would launch would send me to a blue screen telling me that nv4_disp (my graphics driver) was stuck in an infinite loop. I tried updating the drivers, but it didn't work. I would get a blue screen whenever I try to open any game (Steam and non-Steam).

So later on I found out that it was short-circuitting, so I bought a GeForce 6800A and installed it. It runs games like GTA: SA and Doom 3 perfectly, but whenever I try to play a Steam game like HL2 or CS:S I get another blue screen. It doesn't say anything about nv4_disp getting stuck in an infinite loop, it just tells me that it has a problem and that I should either update my drivers or contact the manufacturer.

Please help me, all I want is to play a few rounds of CS:S. :(

Try checking the game fragmentation on the hard drive and rename/delete(make backup) the config.cfg file in Steam\SteamApps\'your steam login name'\counter-strike source\cstrike\cfg

edit: You have to set all the settings back after this. (nick, graphics settings, audio etc...)

You also might want to rename/delete your autoexec if you have one.

Ok so reinstalling everything won't affect the games you have on steam, If you want to be sure try to login to steam on a different PC and see if you can download the game off steam. (If everything's normal that should be possible.)

That's kind of the principle of steam. You can play your games on any computer anywhere on the world.

You could try a less dramatic option that is re-installing steam.