N-Europe

Potential Wireless Headache Remedy

=NukeBlaze=

If you want the best possible connection, it is a no-brainer to go hardwired. But sometimes you need wireless.

Recently, I have been experimenting with my wireless connection in order to see if i could "prevent" lag in certain online games. Latency would remain around a constant 65-92 ping, but would every so often rocket to 1000 for a mili second. Terrible for online play. There were also a few other issues of dropping connections when letting the connection idle or have under heavy use for long periods of time.

Today, I have a soulution..and again windows is partially at fault! If you naviagte to control pannel, then admin tools, then to services, and look for "wireless zero configuration", this service automatically scans for networks an will help set them up. The problem is that one : it is a generic wireless control program, and two : periodically it scans for networks can cause brief massive latency jumps...skype,games... whatever. This problem does not occour for all wireless adapter users, as it depends on the card, router, driver, and how the zero wireless config handles it. This is just a potential solution for those whom are at "witts end" trying to solve a latency "Hiccup" problem.

Problem was solved by disabling the "Wireless zero configuration" service, and to reinstall drivers for my linksys adpter so that the linksys wireless manger would be installed to take over the windows service.

There could be reason for many connection problems, but this is one that plagued me for the longest time. I believe it is a worthwhile place to look for you are having problems staying connected, and/or latency problems. It does not fix everyone, but at least I can say I am healed!

Also, if you are running a linksys WRT54G/GS/GL router, take a look at this wonderful 3rd party linux firmware.

The latest version of dd-wrt is quite amazing. In real time you can see all network conenctions and monitor them...from the router control pannel. Plus like options to set wireless singnal strengh. Mind you, don't go crazy on that option or you will burn the router out.

Unforenently it will not allow me to post a URL untill I get 15 posts.....so here it is in another form.

ww.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/index.php

Oh, and hello again.

Archived