NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hogge

Nintendos reprint policies?

Hey guys.

Lately I got the urge to buy Tekken Tag Tournament 2 for the Wii U. However, when I checked with Swedish online stores, the game is now more expensive than when it was new. Heck, used copies seem to cost more than a new copy did when the console launched. And this seems to be the case for a few other games as well.

This got me thinking: one reason I've heard for Nintendo's sour relationship with third parties was their reprint policy. That publishers had to plan their print runs months in advance, making it impossible to print a few thousand discs on a whim.

Are Nintendo still doing that very same thing? Or is there some other reason that publishers don't want to meet demand?

I've not heard anything negative about Nintendo's reprint policies, but I've never really looked into it.

My guess with something like Tekkan Tag Tournament is that the sales on Wii U were poor to begin with, so Namco weren't really keen to invest in another run when it looked like the Wii U was going to flop. If the Wii U hardware sales had improved, we might have seen more copies come out but obviously Namco must just think that there are enough copies out there for everyone who wants to play it on Wii U.

Just checked...

For some reason TANK TANK TANK and Mario 3D World have spiked in price as well.

I think there's less and less need for reprints; eShop provides the perfect place to pick up an older game (and for Nintendo theres's certainly far less risk invovled).

Sign in to follow this