NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
stev2604

Hard Drive Failure?

About 6 months ago my Asus EEE PC stopped working, starts up but won't boot up windows, and makes a beeping noise.

I got bored today and took it apart to see if I could do anything. I know now that the problem is the hard drive- connect another one and the computer works fine. It's also what was making the beeping noise.

I'm guessing its a complete goner? Would there be any chance that I could recover the data held on it?

I'm not too hopeful but there is some stuff (not backed up) that I would really like to get back.

Any thoughts or info would be really appreciated!

Could you connect the dodgy hard drive as a secondary one to another device? You might be able to get the data off that way, but it does sound like it is dead though.

As long as you didn't take a blowtorch to it, or grind the platters into a fine powder, it will be possible to recover some if not all of the data. The question is more, how much are you willing to pay to get the data off of it? If the data is worth something to you, look for a local data recovery business and get them to take a look at it.

Sign in to follow this