NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
CooInTheZoo

Broadband Questions

I've just installed BT business broadband in the restaurant where I work, and I'll shortly be moving upstairs to the empty flat as my neighbours where I am now like to slap each other with vodka bottles in their hands.

I've got permission to use the broadband instead of paying for my own connection, which is great, but what is the best way to get a connection upstairs? If there is an ethernet cable that long (my guess is a good 15-25 metres at least) will it really lag? OR if I got another hub and connected it up (the phone number is the same as the one downstairs) will that work? Any other suggestions?

Also, untill BT deliver the new Hub we are using a spare oldish Belkin one, and the 'data' light seems to go out and stop an active connection every few hours. When this happens, I have to type in a series of numbers in the address bar of internet explorer (can't remember the technical name...) and reconnect it manually. Any ideas why this is happening?

EDIT: Just looked into buying a Powerline. Would that be the best thing to do?

EDIT 2: Fixed the latter question, still wondering if a Powerline would be more reliable than a very long ethernet cable or not.

I think ethernet cables can go 200m before losing signal quality (don't quote me on this). Anyway, I'm pretty sure an ethernet cable would work but "homeplug" would still be a more elegant solution.

Sign in to follow this