NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Konfucius

Megagames article about Next-Gen consoles

Two threads in one day, a new record for me on this forum :D

but anyways I came across an article on Megagames and I found it to be very interesting, so I thought I'd share it with you, the article can be found here

For anyone too lazy to read it:

It says that the X360 and the PS3 will both rely mainly on one processor that handles the thread and that the processors of both systems aren't really as powerful as they claim them to be. The biggest problem being some sort of technical stuff I quite understood but can't reproduce, but it's something similar to a bottleneck so that although there can be many calculations done they can't be transmitted as fast which slows down the whole thing.

Now you wonder what this article has to do with Nintendo? At the very end there's one sentence about the Nintendo. :D

And I think it's pretty save to assume that they will have a single core system and since these two system will also heavily rely on one core that could mean that the graphics of the Revo compared to the other two could be almost on par (on a standard TV of course).

Yeah, we already knew that the CPUs weren't THAT powerful, but to say that it's only twice a Celeron 733 is pushing it a bit. The CPUs seem to suck bad in single thread performance but when developers get the hang of multithreaded the power gain should be good.

The Revolution should do well if they use something like a conventional Apple G5 like in a PowerMac, like a dual-core 2.5 GHz one. Those seem pretty good in single threaded AND are more suited to games than the cores in the 360 and PS3. There's a pretty good chance the Rev GPU will be on par or better than the competitor's GPU so no worries there either.

Sign in to follow this