Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Ok, getting the internet on the laptop

rizz

She (my sister) is immesnsely pissing me off, always trying to chuck me off the PC so she can talk to her retard friends who are never online anyway. And when I say no because she was on 4 hours this morning, she gets dad on her side and he be's a retard too.

I have NTL broadband from my set top box, ethernet to my PC. Both systems have Windows XP. Wireless would be nice, but even with wires would do.

So, how can I go about getting the internet on the laptop so we can use it at the same time? I have tried before with no luck, so rather than just suggesting what to buy, suggestions with wtf to do with it would be nice also please :P

How many ethernet ports does your PC have? If it has a second, I believe you can use 'Internet Connection Sharing'. It would involve another ethernet cable.

I'm not really qualified to answer your question, but hopefully someone can build on this.

If you want wireless, you'll need a kit for it. They aren't that expensive and Windows XP SP2 has a really good wizard that sorts half of it out for you. I'd recommend D-Link for all your WiFi networking problems.

How many ethernet ports does your PC have? If it has a second, I believe you can use 'Internet Connection Sharing'. It would involve another ethernet cable.

If you use this method, you'll need a crossover cable, not a regular patch cable.

Guest Offerman

Yea, the cheapest option is to get a long cross-over cable. And plug it into the ethernet port on your computer, and then on your laptop. Then enable ICS on the desktop, then do Network Wizard on the laptop. Job done.

However if your laptop and\or desktop fails to have a free ethernet port then you will have to get an Ethernet card or USB Ethernet dongle for the the computers.

EDIT - So how did you try it before Rizz?

Yup, go D-Link. I'm wireless, and although there's a few teething problems, it generally works great and at lightning fast speed only restricted by your internet connections speed. Mines was only £25 from ebuyer.com

Yeah, before we got some router thing, wasnt right for our connection or something like that, blah.

Seems I only have the 1 eternet port, I think my dad is wanting wireless now. Wish he would make up his mind :P