NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
CooInTheZoo

Laptop attacking PC, IP Problems

The last few days, my laptop hasnt been letting me online. Its recieving signal from the router through wifi and when i plug the ethernet cable into it (which i usually use to acess the internet its faster) it can tell its there connecting to a high speed broadband... so why cant i go on msn or my web browser? i think there might be some conflicting IP problems with the main PC of the house, but it works fine untill i try to connect to the net on the laptop.

anyone have any light to shed on the subject? x

If the condition is that the desktop internet always works regardless of when you are attempting to connect to the web with the laptop, I recommend the following.

Open "Run", and type in "cmd" and hit "enter".

If you are running windows XP SP2 at least, of which I am going to assume, the following command will work.

in the black command window, type: "netsh winsock reset" then hit "enter". If it asks you any question about proceeding, tell it "y" for yes. It will eventually ask you to restart your system, of which "y" will do it for you.

You can also jump into internet explorer's settings by navigating in an IE window to tools->internet Options->connection tab->Lan settings button-> then make sure that "auto detect settings" is checked, then click "apply" then "ok".

These two should take care of it from the symptoms as I am interpreting them.

:)

If the condition is that the desktop internet always works regardless of when you are attempting to connect to the web with the laptop, I recommend the following.

Open "Run", and type in "cmd" and hit "enter".

If you are running windows XP SP2 at least, of which I am going to assume, the following command will work.

in the black command window, type: "netsh winsock reset" then hit "enter". If it asks you any question about proceeding, tell it "y" for yes. It will eventually ask you to restart your system, of which "y" will do it for you.

You can also jump into internet explorer's settings by navigating in an IE window to tools->internet Options->connection tab->Lan settings button-> then make sure that "auto detect settings" is checked, then click "apply" then "ok".

These two should take care of it from the symptoms as I am interpreting them.

:)

you beautiful genious

:love:

EDIT:

problems happening again. i reset the winsock or whatever and within an hour or two im disconected from everything again, wtf!

Eh>? Not sure why it crapped out again.

Give it another go. Addition info is to make sure you run a viral and spy ware scans as infections can screw up the winsock file.

Run at least spybot and adaware after you update them, in full scan mode and your antiviral. I recommend Kaspersky or Nod32 if you are looking for one.

If it finds anything , flush the winsock after it cleans it out. In adttion I reccomend not using internet explorer in favor of Firefox or Opera.

Sign in to follow this