N-Europe

router

*Dalco*

hi dnno if there was a oficial thread for routers or not as i looked but couldn;t see one.

anyway i need a wireless router to use for my 360. wii and DS but dnno anything about routers. dnt want to spend to much just want one that will do the job alright so if anyone can reccomend one then cheers. btw will be getting one from pc world (as i generally dnt buy stuff online due to no debit card) so if you look on there site for me then i can collect it instore.

cheers

I have had good luck with the linksys wrt54GS line. Not the "G" line, the "GS" line. The GS line claims "speedbooster", but don;t worry about it, it is mostly junk. As a plain jane wireless G router it works quite well. The line comes equpit with 32MB of onbord memory, compared to the 8 MB "G" line, but linksys double antenna system gives a stronger connection than those whom only offer these tiny one stub antenna routers. The best part is you can load Linux firmware onto the router, like my favorite DD-WRT.

So, I have had good luck with Linksys-WRT54GS. Its pretty cheap, and does a good job. I have also had luck with higher tier netgear router.

If you are using wireless encryption to keep people off your network, the Nintendo Wii will require the router to be set to "mixed" wireless mode, and to use WPA encryption using the AES algorithm. This is a problem I had that may only be relevant later.