N-Europe

Home Audio - Surround Sound

T-Bird

Hello. I wonder if anyone could help me. I already have a nice TV, DVD player, Wii, PC all hooked up in my room and am looking to put some surround sound in.

Now, the problem I'm having is most/all surround sound systems I look at come with a DVD player which I do not want! I started looking around some more and found AV Receivers. Is this what I need? I'm assuming that I plug all my inputs into the AV Receiver then have an video cable leading out into my TV and an audio cable leading out into my surround speakers. Speaking of which...

Where can I get the speakers from? Do I just look for seperate surround sound speakers and make sure they're not PC ones or do I have to buy a full surround sound system then flog the freebie DVD player?

Thanks for your help.

You get the speakers by buying them separately. To get the best sound you'd need to buy 5 speakers of the same model. The subwoofer is optional (if the main speakers are big enough)but it does give a nice punch to explosions and such. And remember, there's three stages of bass ;)

1st: too little

2nd: there could be more...

3rd: a shitload of it on reserve

(^ taken from a humoristic faq of which url I can't remember right now...)But this solutions requires a lot of money.

The easy way: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/GB/EN,CRID=2177,CONTENTID=9486

Thanks dude. That looks pretty nice. I may well look into getting that. One on eBay for £240.00 at the moment. There any others like that that are nice and discreet rather than a big DVD player like stack?

Also - LCD Wallbrackets. How easy are they to put up? Is it a case of drilling into the wall and then putting in those plastic things to screw into or what?