NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Gentleben

Component picture

Query on the screen image with component cables:

TV im running it off is a new 43 Samsung Plasma (HD 720p), the Wii has got the latest update and I have changed the screen options to EDTV/HDTV 480p.

The first thing I noticed on a plus note is that on the main Wii home menu screen, it looks crisper and I can actually now notice the channels have the TV look to them with the black/white lines in them.

However, when it comes to games, im not very happy, the characters and crowd look more blurred or not as smooth and so does the text.

Boom Street looks horrid, is there something I'm missing or shouldn't component cables make the gameplay picture a load better.

I've seen some people say the component cables make a big difference and others who say it's not that noticeable.

What were you running in before - 576i or 480i?

If 576i, you would be giving up those extra horizontal lines - 480i to 480p should be nothing but an improvement. The swap to progressive would give a smoother looking refresh since you get all the frame on each screen refresh as oppose to half with the interlaced but the fact remains that you have less pixels on your screen at any one time even if the number of updated pixels is higher. So unless your TV is sporting black borders, it must be stretching the image and things could well appear blurrier even if the updating is smoother.

It's an unfortunate trade off that is more noticeable in some games more than others - if only the Wii supported 576p...

Someone feel free to come and tell me I've got it wrong though if I have - I'm all for learning me :p

Sign in to follow this