NEurope
The Bard

His Dark Materials Movie Update...(ish)...

Well, the movie is shaping up well, been following it since it was announced, and I just thought that some of you would like to know that Daniel Craig (Bond) is playing lord Asriel, and Eva Green, also in the latest bond will be playing Ruta Skadi.

It's a good way through filming right now.

Bridge To The Stars

A good website for further information.

;).

The problem (and it's a major one) with this film is that they have removed all the anti-religious connotations.

No, I don't think they have, we'll it's a bit sketchy on details, but they it's not been made plain what they're doing in terms of the anti religious themes. I hope they keep them in, because they affected me pretty strongly..

No, I don't think they have, we'll it's a bit sketchy on details, but they it's not been made plain what they're doing in terms of the anti religious themes. I hope they keep them in, because they affected me pretty strongly..

Well that's good. Just as long as they haven't changed the message of the film for the sake of a few idiots in America.

The problem (and it's a major one) with this film is that they have removed all the anti-religious connotations.

Didn't they say that was going to happen with the Da Vinci Code when that was announced? So, It probably won't happen, besides, theres a lot more fantasy in it anyway, so they can't even complain about it as much.

I haven't read the second and third books, yet. I WILL read them before this comes out, but i just can't find the motivation.

Once i start them, i will carry on reading them. It's just..taking that first step.

Anyway, dude, i could've told you that info. You sloooow. :heh:

Nicole Kidman as Mrs Coulter...yes please!

I knew that information the day it was announced, wierdly enough, I'm on that site and the forums more than I'm on here, I just thought I'd tell those who didn't know :).

Read the second and third books, they changed my life in a way. It doesn't require any motivation to read them, it requires a lot of effort to sleep or think about anything else while you're reading them though.

Will finish the second book (after a 2 year break from it) tomorrow.

Hopefully have the third one done by the time the film is out.

Heh, I finished all 3 books in 4 days...didn't move from my bed...

To use a stupid analogy, they are to books what Chrono Trigger is to games :heh:

What chapter are you on?

Didn't they say that was going to happen with the Da Vinci Code when that was announced? So, It probably won't happen, besides, theres a lot more fantasy in it anyway, so they can't even complain about it as much.

The difference being, of course, that the Da Vinci code is a truly awful book, which not that many people took seriously anyway due to all it's arguments against religion being totally fabricated. HDM's arguments against religion are purposeful and real, that, and the books are so completely endearing that if they did change anything, fans would be up in arms...

I'll go find my copy now, hopefully I'll have a bookmark in it. I loved these books so hard.

It made me feel like I was young again.

Chapter 6, Lighted Fliers. Still kinda exploring the 'other' world Lyra has just stepped into with that kid she finds if I'm not mistaken.

Might go back a few chapters if I am disorientated from the time lapse.

Are these those "Amber spyglass" books? What are they about...I dont really like religion.

The amber spyglass is the last book in the series. They books as a whole are about a lot of things.

If you don't like religion, you'll probably find them quite interesting.

fo sho. those are some good casting choices.

of course, the film will be a failure unless the bear is voiced by Brian Blessed.

To use a stupid analogy, they are to books what Chrono Trigger is to games :heh:

Ah yes, although they're quite good, they're pretty old and nobody really reads them any more... :heh:

Sorry, couldn't resist... At least they're available in England. :wink:

*explodes* lol. And "quite good" doesn't do either any amount of justice.

I'm working on this. It's budget is utterly rye-dick-you-louse.

In a good way? Well I heard it was 300 mil so I suppose it is...

*explodes* lol. And "quite good" doesn't do either any amount of justice.

In a good way? Well I heard it was 300 mil so I suppose it is...

Around 150million, but hey... I can't go into production details... I think its going to be like marmite :)

Read two and a half books of the trilogy. Loved the first two. I nearly cried during the bit with the hot air baloon guy :S and loved the characters.

But found the 3rd book very slow and the anti religious tones became boring. A gay angel Pullman? And Gods trying to take everyone down ahhh evil church! Even though im a christian its not that that offends me as its a make believe universe. Its jsut the way his own views began to detract from what was a classy bit of fiction. Doubt I will watch the movies I think the books will be better as I have imagned scenes in my mind and dont want to have them changed if you see what I mean.

Do you think he wrote the books because he had nothing else to do? He wrote them because there was something he wanted to say, not to write something utterly pointless along the lines of Lotr.

And as for the "gay angel" I think you're reading too much into it, it never actually says that they're gay, and even if they are, so what? I think it's your overbearing "faith" for lack of a better term that prevents you from appreciating the book.

I don't think it detracts from the final book at all, it's my favourite of the series...

Do you think he wrote the books because he had nothing else to do? He wrote them because there was something he wanted to say, not to write something utterly pointless along the lines of Lotr.

And as for the "gay angel" I think you're reading too much into it, it never actually says that they're gay, and even if they are, so what? I think it's your overbearing "faith" for lack of a better term that prevents you from appreciating the book.

I don't think it detracts from the final book at all, it's my favourite of the series...

Whoa man chill. He obviously has a message just like Tolkien had one but I dont think it detracted as much. I just think he shoehoned stuff in and made everything a bit to black and white as he got his agenda in while I prefered the characters etc. But hey you love it so it doesnt matter and who knows maybe I will lvoe the ending when I get round to reading it. : peace:

Fair enough, but honestly, Tolkien had no "message" he was interested in keys and maps and dungeons and all that bullshit, not the way real, tangible humans act...those books are the height of tedium...anyway, PEACE!

Fair enough, but honestly, Tolkien had no "message" he was interested in keys and maps and dungeons and all that bullshit, not the way real, tangible humans act...those books are the height of tedium...anyway, PEACE!

One of the many messages in LotR: "Even the smallest thing can make a massive difference"

Seriously, let's not get into an argument about His Dark Materials vs. Lord of the Rings... this thread is about the Dark Materials film.

Although personally, I found Lord of the Rings deadly boring.

Thats not a message, thats just a stupid proverb that someone attatched to it. And what the hell, he needed to write near a thousand pages of nonsense to point out that "Even the smallest thing can make a massive difference"...? Come one, get real, there's not much purpose to those books. In fact, they're a complete chore to read through.

Although personally, I found Lord of the Rings deadly boring.

The books were. The movies were half entertaining for a while though I suppose.