NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
m_fergy

Wii Games

Couldnt find any info on this, so illl ask here

Do you have to use the Wii controller for the Wii games or can you use the Wii Classic Controller ?

thx

Depends on the game. Some will require one, some another, and in some cases maybe you'll be able to use both. SSBB, for instance, has been said to use the classic controller rather than the remote, but games like Zelda and Wario Ware won't.

Yeah, as yoshiking explains, most games will likely use the Wii Remote, with an attachment (such as the Nunchuk), while others may use the classic controller. It depends on the game developers.

There are notable rumours and confirmations on Wii titles to use the Classic, such as Smash Bros. Brawl and Wii F-Zero, but in all honesty I'd wager that few Wii titles will use the Classic.

If a game only uses the classic controller then it will seriously put me off. I don't see the point in developing a game for the Wii if you're jsut gonna sue the classic contoller.

GameCube games will not work with the classic controller. (ruling out Melee)

That's why the Smash developper said hold onto your GameCube controllers.

If they're on the same control scheme logic suggests that they are planning not to support the Wii Classic controller in favour of another solution. (free/bundled GameCube controller/WaveBird)

I seriously doubt that Smash will work with the classic controller.

If a game only uses the classic controller then it will seriously put me off. I don't see the point in developing a game for the Wii if you're jsut gonna sue the classic contoller.

I see where you're coming from, and while I agree with you somewhat, I still believe there's room for some traditional play with a traditional controller. For example, Mario Kart DS is, in my opinion, the best game available for DS but it makes very limited use of the touch screen and only uses the microphone for blowing up balloons which I think can also be done using the select button. Hell, it probably could have also been made on only one screen and opted for a display like we see in Mario Kart Super Circuit.

I'd like to make it clear that I do really love the idea behind the touch screen, microphone and the Wii Remote, but I still enjoy games which use the old style of control and I think that some games should at least give the option of maybe using the classic controller.

The Wii remote and Nunchuck attatchment are useful for different types of gameplay; Zelda, Metroid and other shoot 'em ups, and some sports titles. But there is a limitation to the games which can use this revolutionary controller. Racing games may find the remote challenging to use, or fighting games for example. However, this does not mean they won't find a way to somehow get these games on the console! The Classic controller will most likely be used for these sorts of games, like the already announced Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

In my view, I think the controllers look like fun, but also consider the classic controller more practical and easy to pick up and play.

We're not going to see every game on the system use the Wiimote and Nunchuk. Some games will just use the remote, and some games may not even use the remote at all, like Smash Bros.

I'm still not sure if fighting games are going to make good use of the 'mote. I think they made a wise move by keeping smash bros with the traditional control scheme.

Anyway, most games, whether it be on the back of the box, in previews/reviews, or just through some other means will let you know how it's controlled. If a game can use both classic and Wii controls, it will most likely tell you on the back of the box, or in previews. :)

Like Nintendork, I too doubt the functionality of playing Brawl on the classic controller. But I'm guessing Nintendo will work something out, so that those who can't find a Gamecube controller will just buy a classic one and play wirelessly.

You CAN use Gamecube controllers to play Super Smash Brothers Brawl, by the way.

If Brawl is just classic (which i would highly doubt) then i won't be getting it, simple.

If Brawl is just classic (which i would highly doubt) then i won't be getting it, simple.

Do you mean "if it's just classic and doesn't use Wiimote" or did you mean "if its just classic and doesnt use the GC controller"?

I mean, if brawl has NO wiimote option, then no. I'll jsut get melee off ebay

There will probably be some use of the wiimote in the game, whether it be in minigames or just navigating. But, i'm pretty sure they'll stick to the traditional control method. To be honest, it's probably best suited for fighters, unless someone comes up with a damn good control scheme for fighting games.

If it doesn't use the wiimote in the main game, then it's not worth it. Might aswell jsut get melee.

If it doesn't use the wiimote in the main game, then it's not worth it. Might aswell jsut get melee.

Not really, for two reasons.

1. You'll get the usual 'fighter upgrade' stuff, such as different characters, modes, levels, etc. In that respect alone, it'll be a worthy update.

2. This will be online, which adds a whole new dimension to the multiplayer. Sure, it may not have wiimote controls, but i think that this type of game is perhaps too frantic for smash bros. It's knackering stuff just playing with a normal control scheme, and i think the wiimote will just make you even more tired.

There will no doubt be a dozen or so other reasons to purchase this. I don't think it's one to miss out on just because it doesn't have wiimote controls in the main game. I think it's better having a game which works well, rather than a game with wiimote controls that may not suit it.

Seing as i don't have, and have never played melee, it would be a new experience. Not using the wiimote is just wasting the wii's capabilities. Sure it's online, but it's only an extension of multiplayer.

Seing as i don't have, and have never played melee, it would be a new experience. Not using the wiimote is just wasting the wii's capabilities. Sure it's online, but it's only an extension of multiplayer.

In that case, you better get melee now! You've got a lot of catching up to do, dude. :heh:

I wouldn't say it's wasting. After all, Mario Kart DS used very little of the touchscreen or dual screen features. The main selling point was that the game featured an online mode. I don't think every game needs to use the Wiimote. If they can implement it in a sensible way, then go for it. But, just incorporating it because "it would be pointless otherwise" is not the way to go. It should be about enhancing the experience further.

But, like i said, if they can come up with a suitable control scheme using the wiimote, that doesn't detract from the game, then awesome.

I will be dissapointed if brawl doesn't use the motion sensing, but remember there are those weird slots on the back of the retro controller so it might just be possible that the wiimote can be attached to the back of the retro controller and therefore create something like the controller for that thing sony have made, whats it called, the ps3?

Anyway yes, i would be suprised if Shiggsy oe someone else at Ninty can't think up a way to use the motion controlls in brawl, its another thing that we will just have to wait and see what the final outcome is!

Everyone > Retro-Lover in this topic. Quit acting so lame, come on. If you want them to come up with a new (probably shitty) control scheme to go with the Wiimote, then that's your problem. The rest of us will enjoy the classic control scheme.

Oh, and that being said, get Melee. Now.

Also, didn't they confirm Brawl to only be GC/Classic Controller? (Or at least GC)

They suggested that they may have to use the GC controller. With (probably) almost a year left in development, that could easily change. I think what whatshisname (Smash Bros producer) meant was "we can't think of any any way to ulilise the remote yet, so hold on to your GC controllers in case we don't think of anything." or something like that.

Online > AI anyday.

for me

split-screen multiplayer with friends >> online with friends >>>> online >>>>>>>>>> AI

anyday

as for Brawl: ill get any smash bros. game whatever controller. As long as the gameplay is similar, but improved upon.

so the wii version having : online, wii connect 24, better characters, better graphics is great.

Although :Nintendo is being very clever because they know gamers throw their money around at anything. So releasing the classic controller seperately will boost their profit enormously. I think its quite disgraceful for them to do this. We now have to pay for 3 types of controller, the nunchuk, the wii-mote, and classic controller. very sneaky. But i will not be dragged in and buy any classic controllers just for a couple of games. waste of cash

However, do you have to play Brawl with the classic controller or can you use gamecube pads? i know this is what youve been talking about for ages but im still confused.

However, do you have to play Brawl with the classic controller or can you use gamecube pads? i know this is what youve been talking about for ages but im still confused.

Basically: Nothing has been confirmed by Nintendo.

Sign in to follow this