NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
gaggle64

Is Sony making the same mistakes as Nintendo did?

Sony's Playstation devsion has really been acting strangely recently - sueing importers left, right and centre, not willing to accept threats from new and revitalised rivals, even ripping off other peoples franchises now. Didn't Nintendo make some similar mistakes when it was in control of the market some years ago? It's like watching history repeat itself. In ten years, will Sony Playstation become the big market innovator after a metioric fall from power? It would sure be a weird world to live in.

Ha ha, we need that "whatif" machine talked about in one of the other threads!

I think I read something about this on GCA called "the third console itch" or something. It was about how companies tend to fuck up with their third consoles after the first two were a big hit. It was really interesting and brought up many valid points.

I remember that, that was a good read, very interesting! Oh well, time will tell!!!

To be honest I'd prefer to see Microsoft's fall from power. Not only would it hobble their monopoly considerably (they have their hands in everything but with 4 billion lost on XBox, you cant say that this isnt a big investment, even for them) it would also bring the console race back to the state I always liked: Playstation VS Nintendo. I could argue PS VS Ninty all day, having Microsoft in the mix only makes it boring.

Plus, one of these big babies toppling would open a place for a third player, someone with fresh ideas and fresh games.

Microsoft's got loads of new/not overdone franchises coming while Sony's got DMC4, MGS4, GT5, etc. It's just sequel after sequel with them. If I didn't know any better I'd think they were Nintendo.

Oh come on - do you know what new franchises will be released on the PS3? As a matter of fact, do you know what a diverse range of franchises there were on the PSone or the PStwo? Im assuming from the generic list of games that all Nintendo fans reel off that you dont; please correct me if Im wrong.

________

Buy Digital Scale

Edited by Johelian

There were a number of new and original franchises for the N64 - Glover, Blast Corps, etc. Still didn't help the fact that the machine was over powered, over priced, supported an unusual format and was expensive and difficult to develop for. Totally unlike the PS3 obviously.

P.S. -I'm not trying to dis Sony or anything - just drawing some intresting parralels.

I would say Sony are acting very strangely at the moment. Especially the guy in charge (I forget his name) He's come out with some very strange comments recently. Things like with the PSP that there was no problem with the sticking buttons, when there obviously was and that if you don't like it, tough! And there refusal to accept dead pixels as a fault. Then about the PS3 he's said things like he wants people to have to get loans to afford to buy it so that they feel they've got a high quality product.

As for sequels of the same old franchises, it's the same on every console really, but I though it was funny at E3 when nearly every game they showed was a sequel: Tekken, MGS, DMC, FF, Killzone, GT.

I think Sony is making an ass of them selfs this next generation.

Maybe they will have the console with best graphics, but it will be too expensive and the games are also expensive. And Developing games are also too expenseve. Some developers have already said they want to pul their suport.

I think I read something about this on GCA called "the third console itch" or something. It was about how companies tend to fuck up with their third consoles after the first two were a big hit. It was really interesting and brought up many valid points.

Here's the link: http://gc.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=5196 An extremly good article if a little dated.

Well like with most monopolies, complacency is always a dirty shadow that looms over, X inefficiency or some shit if my economic theory serves me correct (been 4 months since i last looked at the crap). Still though, with the number of sony fanboys out there, who are just as bad as the nintendo ones, only greater in number it'll be a while til they fall...not that i'm complaining as long as i keep getting my metal gears, kingdom hearts, onimushas and the sorts that will unfortunately never grace a nintendo console (well not that i can tell the future or anything - and yeah yeah Twin Snakes was on the GC but hardly a new chapter in the story or anything now was it - still great though!)

That was a very good article, with some fair points and criticisms about all the companies. The Revos controller certainly would've added to the mix - he should really do an updated version.

In that case wouldn't it be better if Sony fell? Microsoft's got loads of new/not overdone franchises coming while Sony's got DMC4, MGS4, GT5, etc. It's just sequel after sequel with them. If I didn't know any better I'd think they were Nintendo.

Only GT5 belongs to Sony out of them games. It's up to the 3rd party devs what they develope for the system, they know that DMC and so on will sell, so they make them first and bring the new franchises in later. I know for a fact I want Makai Wars though, damn Nippon Ichi goodness.

I believe that it is likely ALL 3 next gen consoles will do well and be extremely successful, but if one fails, I have a feeling it will be PS3.

I believe that it is likely ALL 3 next gen consoles will do well and be extremely successful, but if one fails, I have a feeling it will be PS3.

You have a very good point, remember, Sony does have a massive fanbase and there are more video game players than ever, So its likely not every one will leave PS3 to rot.

But this is Nintendo's big chance to make it big again, so lets keep fingers crossed.

And also, that 3rd console itch is very true. Atari, Nintendo and Sega all suffered against it, but Nintendo is still alive in console hardware and Atari and Sega arent, Was there something that Nintendo had different to still carry on?

Also, Im very suspicious about the 2nd step to the 3rd console itch, Which is arrogance. As mentioned in the revolution discussion board, J allard has already displayed arrogance, and this is their 2nd console. Could Xbox's 3rd helping have this fate? Because it seems sony is having a few problems, plus I swear I heard a delay for PS3. I dont know whether this was for more information, or the actual console.

Thanks for the link to that article it was an amazing read. It would be interesting to see that guys comments on the Revo Controller and the DS Dongle ( i love that word )

And also, that 3rd console itch is very true. Atari, Nintendo and Sega all suffered against it, but Nintendo is still alive in console hardware and Atari and Sega arent, Was there something that Nintendo had different to still carry on?

It would seem that aari and sega didnt want to take their chances and gave in. Nintendo on the other hand, saw that their console wasnt doing as well as the rest but still decided that they wouldn't just bow down and give in but they would continue to fight, but not as the better console anymore but one possibly as a second console to people or the kid's choice maybe. Just waiting for their moment until they coul see that the leading competitor wasnt going to do well at all and get in at least in second place. Then they canw ait for the next leading competitor (in this case it will probably be microsoft) and wait for them to get the 3rd console itch.

The PS2 is KIDDIER than the Cube!!...All kids have 1 :P

Lmao thats true, but who buys it? Their parents.

But its just the fact about the games that makes it kiddy i think. Yeah sure we got some great games, but we dnt get the mass violence rip ya to shreds games do we? And when you dont get that, the gaming population who play those games think any thing below is kids stuff.

i see a balance come next generation Market wise. However i see Nintendo making uber-profits and a bigger ratio of critically aclaimed games.

Nintendo had the hand-held market, more importantly they had the Gameboy, at the moment Nintendo's success in the Hand-Held market is what is funding them enough to keep going. If Nintendo didn't have the Gameboy they would have steped down like SEGA and Atari, hopefully the PSP will fail, horribly.

dont forget pokemon! that + gameboy = lots of cash and the reason nintendo can probably carry on in the console market. Cube has done well, better than the N64 and the DS seems to be doing very well.

nintendo know's best.

Where did you hear the Cube had done better than the N64?! The Gamecube was Slaughtered, it has sold under 20 million units compared to Xbox's over 20 million units and PS2's 90 million. The N64 sold around 35 million i believe. Cold someone please lend me some proof, i think i am telling the truth anyway.

Total sales figures as of 29/01/05:

NES: 61,780,000

Sega Master System: 13,000,000

Nintendo Gameboy: 118,420,000 (possibly includes color?)

Sega Game Gear: 8,650,000

Atari Lynx: ?

NEC Turbografx 16: 2,500,000 (est.)

NEC Turbografx CD: ?

Sega Mega Drive (Genesis): 30,750,000

(Sega CD): 2,500,000 (North America)

(Sega 32X): 50,000-200,000 (est.)

NEC Supergrafx: ?

SNK Neo Geo: ?

Nintendo SNES: 49,020,000

Philips CDi: ?

NEC TurboDuo: ?