NEurope
shade

New GC Freeloader works on PAL Wiis.

Hey, I tried it and it works!! Many thanks!!

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

All right, now that Nkarafo proved right what I excepted, I explain why some games don't work directly with new Freeloader.

As you probably know, PAL Wii's Cube bios is based on its latest version, the infamous Pearl White Cube bios. Pearl White's bios was custom-tailored to block certain ways to use homebrew and play backup games with Cube. Freeloader and Action Replay stopped also working, as both use unlicensed software with hacked libraries to work (in fact, Freeloader contains some boot code from Crazy Taxi, heh). USA and Japan did never got any console that would use new bios, as Nintendo didn't simply manufacture new cubes during console's last year.

Let's fast forward year ahead. Nintendo Wii was coming and Nintendo's engineers decided to use latest possible cube firmware to each region's Wii. This would ensure that everything would work way like it should. Unfortunately, this meant we got short straw once again. Our Wii's were fitted with Pearl White bios, and Freeloader didn't work.

To solve this problem, Datel printed new Freeloader discs that were made speficially for certain region. Now bios saw Freeloader as normal PAL-game and booted correctly. What Datel hadn't excepted, however, was that some games had rather fucked up code, that checked disc's region *again* after booting. Bios has Freeloader's (PAL) region on its memory and it represents it to game. Game naturally can't understand what it sees as situation like this should be impossible. Game inputs error message and crashes. When you boot your old Freeloader / Action Replay with new Freeloader, bios region is set again to value that works with all games.

The bad news is that, yes, you are forced to use your old Freeloader with some games. Good news is that Datel can fix this easily in new version. Unfortunately it doesn't help us who have already ordered new version.

Teppo you seem to be right. I checked Resident Evil 4 (USA) and it was playable with the new freeloader. So, some games are playable and some others require the old v.1.06b freeloader.

Teppo you seem to be right. I checked Resident Evil 4 (USA) and it was playable with the new freeloader. So, some games are playable and some others require the old v.1.06b freeloader.

Yup. It's somewhat ironic that it took me about 10 seconds to understand what made games crash, and yet Datel couldn't foresee it. :)

Well: Do forsee something is a bit more problematic than find out what the reason is :)

One question: This mentioned problem: Does it also exist for Baten Kaitos Origins (US Version)?

Could be wrong: But the only titles that didn't work for you were Japanese ones but US ones worked fine so far?

All right, now that Nkarafo proved right what I excepted, I explain why some games don't work directly with new Freeloader.

As you probably know, PAL Wii's Cube bios is based on its latest version, the infamous Pearl White Cube bios. Pearl White's bios was custom-tailored to block certain ways to use homebrew and play backup games with Cube. Freeloader and Action Replay stopped also working, as both use unlicensed software with hacked libraries to work (in fact, Freeloader contains some boot code from Crazy Taxi, heh). USA and Japan did never got any console that would use new bios, as Nintendo didn't simply manufacture new cubes during console's last year.

Let's fast forward year ahead. Nintendo Wii was coming and Nintendo's engineers decided to use latest possible cube firmware to each region's Wii. This would ensure that everything would work way like it should. Unfortunately, this meant we got short straw once again. Our Wii's were fitted with Pearl White bios, and Freeloader didn't work.

To solve this problem, Datel printed new Freeloader discs that were made speficially for certain region. Now bios saw Freeloader as normal PAL-game and booted correctly. What Datel hadn't excepted, however, was that some games had rather fucked up code, that checked disc's region *again* after booting. Bios has Freeloader's (PAL) region on its memory and it represents it to game. Game naturally can't understand what it sees as situation like this should be impossible. Game inputs error message and crashes. When you boot your old Freeloader / Action Replay with new Freeloader, bios region is set again to value that works with all games.

The bad news is that, yes, you are forced to use your old Freeloader with some games. Good news is that Datel can fix this easily in new version. Unfortunately it doesn't help us who have already ordered new version.

So we need an original Freeloader & Wii Freeloader??? :heh: HAHA....Crazy; though I can understand why that works and it's all just how the 'switches' work.

This means I'll probably have to get a new original Freeloader though, as my old one's F-ed.

I'm surprised Datel didn't pick up on this though.

Well: Do forsee something is a bit more problematic than find out what the reason is :)

One question: This mentioned problem: Does it also exist for Baten Kaitos Origins (US Version)?

Could be wrong: But the only titles that didn't work for you were Japanese ones but US ones worked fine so far?

No, some games are compatible and some others aren't.

I have 4 import GameCube games and I tested them.

1. Naruto GNT 3 (JPN): Doesn't work with the new european freeloader.

2. Naruto GNT 4 (JPN): Doesn't work with the new european freeloader.

3. Resident Evil 4 (USA): Does work with the new european freeloader.

4. Eternal Darkness (USA): Doesn't work with the new european freeloader.

so... does Baten Kaitos II/Origins work?

thanks.

I don't know. I don't own the game and I can't tell you for sure. By the way I have emailed Datel since yesterday about the errors and no reply so far...

I will start comprehensive testing with my own titles when my Freeloader arrives from PA.
Thanks that would help :)

No, some games are compatible and some others aren't.

I have 4 import GameCube games and I tested them.

1. Naruto GNT 3 (JPN): Doesn't work with the new european freeloader.

2. Naruto GNT 4 (JPN): Doesn't work with the new european freeloader.

3. Resident Evil 4 (USA): Does work with the new european freeloader.

4. Eternal Darkness (USA): Doesn't work with the new european freeloader.

There you have it: Your 2 JPN Games are not working but the two USA Games are working :)

Could be coincidence though but still... :)

There you have it: Your 2 JPN Games are not working but the two USA Games are working :)

Could be coincidence though but still... :)

No o_O it says there that the USA copy of ED does not work.

The only thing I really wanted the 1.0E for was Naruto GNT4, and if that means I have to boot the old freeloader first, then I'll just have to deal with that, even though it sounds like a lot of hassle :blank:

Has someone already informed Datel about this? So that there maybe be a v1.0F ? :)

No o_O it says there that the USA copy of ED does not work.

Ups... Thought I read that it works with that game from him... :)