NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
gj15987

To drink or not to drink?

At home I never really cared for going into town and getting drunk and dancing the night away. I prefered to just go to a local pub, get pissed and have a laugh with my friends, i'd leave the dancing to parties etc.

So now I'm at uni everyone seems to want to go out and get pissed in town. I'm fine with having a drink but I refuse to queue half an hour to get drinks and pay like £2 a drink in a club, its such a rip off and pointless.

I can't understand why people will pay such extortiant prices for alcohol and then have nothing to show for it. Last night I went out and spent nearly £20! And the next morning all I have to show for my £20 is a headache and a horrible taste in my mouth. I see much more sense in spending my money on surfing lessons and saving it for a Wii! At least then I have something to show for my hard earned money!

where the fuck do you go for 30 min bars? You either really, really such at getting served or...

oh, yeah! my original point! there it is!

You don't go out to drink for the after effects. that's stupid! saying that you spent £20 on getting a hangover means you're clearly missing the point- you should drink so that you have a great night out, feel awesome and dance like a sex beast. The Hangover is merely the trade of for your extravagance.

I love going out and getting drunk with my mates and the ladies and i dont mind spending my hard earned money on beer and nights out either.

The venue is the place to go... i always spend a lot of money in there ( it's £12 to get in anyway) but always have a good night out... and never wake up in the morning thinking i wish i hadnt spent so much cos i always have such a laugh.

http://www.thevenuelondon.com

so in conlusion to your question to drink or not to drink i say: Drink.

Saying that you spent £20 on getting a hangover means you're clearly missing the point- you should drink so that you think you're having a great night out, convince yourself you feel awesome and dance like an idiot that for some reason thinks he's king. The Hangover is merely your body trying to convince you to stop poisoning it.

I think that conveys my thoughts on the matter.

£12 in? crikey...and I consider £6 on the door steep in Sheffield.

You have never been to the venue my friend. Once you go there no other club compares.

If they charged £20 i would go.

In actual fact we are going there for new years eve... it's £35 and well worth it. They have 6 different rooms, catering for all music tastes, a tribute band every friday and saturday who are brilliant.... last time i went it was Queen and it open till 4am.

But i agree with you Dan Dare if you are waking up thinking that you spent that much just to get a hangover you are missing the point of a night out... getting drunk, having a dance however crap you may be, having a laugh with your mates and chatting up some ladies. :wink: and just simply having an awesome night out and lots of fun.

Meh, I do have an awesome night out, but the hang over after isn't nearly worth it.

I'd rather drink at home with friends and pay pennies for drinks than pay the price they charge at clubs.

You have never been to the venue my friend. Once you go there no other club compares.

If they charged £20 i would go.

In actual fact we are going there for new years eve... it's £35 and well worth it. They have 6 different rooms, catering for all music tastes, a tribute band every friday and saturday who are brilliant.... last time i went it was Queen and it open till 4am.

But i agree with you Dan Dare if you are waking up thinking that you spent that much just to get a hangover you are missing the point of a night out... getting drunk, having a dance however crap you may be, having a laugh with your mates and chatting up some ladies. :wink:

Strong words! Razor Stiletto begs to differ:

Pure trashy electro, new wave, disco and dance

Live bands (some of which have been ace beyond words)

Men dressed in bridal dress and bunny ears/ girls dressed as bears

gender bending door staff

the best DJ names ever: 'Ghandi Warhol' and 'Ralph and the Ralphettes.'

Phill Collins 'Easy Lover' is the signature last song of the night.

Do what you like, it is apparently possible to have fun without drinking, so give it a go and see. If I ever have a choice though, Im drinking. If you'd rather drink at home, why not buy a bottle of something or a box of beers and suggest it? As for the venue, despite my uni being right across the road from it, I've never actually been.

charged £20 i would go.

In actual fact we are going there for new years eve... it's £35 and well worth it.

35 beans?! :o Just to get in?! That's ridiculous. I recon if you're in somewhere that doesn't charge to get in, and you're with your friends and people who you care about you can have just as good a time!

35 beans?! :o Just to get in?! That's ridiculous. I recon if you're in somewhere that doesn't charge to get in, and you're with your friends and people who you care about you can have just as good a time!

for the past 5 years or so I have been to house parties on new years eve and had a really good time with my friends/family but this year just fancied a change, and where better to go than my favourite club :)

Consider yourself a lucky fucking bastard. A Pint over here in any pub costs an extortionate £2.50 or more. I've found myself spending £60 + in a drunken stupor. Anyway, like Dan said; you go out and drink because it loosens your inhibitions, it makes you do things you normally wouldn't, and mostly just cause it's damn fun.

As for me, I don't dance, so I usually go to pool bars like Rileys and spend the day drinking, putting on some metal (rileys have a good jukebox) and just playing pool and indulging in the company of my friends.

As for clubs, Jilly's rockhouse in Manchester kicks all ass. Obscure metal bands, awesome music, and booze. Can't ask for much else! Oh...and fit birds ;).

I prefer not to drink when I go out to clubs, i can dance without alcohol, being sober when you mates are drunk, is well worth it. Maybe have a few pints before you go out in the local bar, but i prefer to drink alcohol for the taste rather than the effects. plus getting drunk is just a waste, theres no need to drink more than feeling tispy and merry. but hey, each to their own, if they NEED to get drunk to have a good time, it says alot about them.

I dont NEED to I LIKE to.

Plus I never get totally wasted where I can't stand up and pass out like many people do. I always make it home ;) I would say I just get very merry and well basically just drunk, I know when ive had enough unlike some people who drink like a fish. Water is your friend at 4am not another snakebite.

Haha, I'm guessing you've never had to be trolleyed ...:heh:. I passed outside a saki bar and my mates stole a shopping trolley from Tecso to push me home in :heh: (they didn't have to, they did it for shits and giggles). Next afternoon I woke up and dan(imal) was asleep in my swivel chair, so I tied him to it with duct tape, drew cocks on his face and left the house...:heh:...He was still asleep when I got back :p.

Alcohol = Good Memories.

By the way, sorry for boring you with epithets of drunkenness.

I've said it a million times, but i'll say it again.

Underage drinking makes you AWEEEEEEEESOME.

Ha, yeah...

2 quid a drink aint bad, depends what your drinking though. lesson is not to go out every night and learn to say no. on a good night out i expect to pay 20 quid ish at least. on a good Saturday this can easily jump to 30 or 40. one place i love going to is 9 quid entry on a Saturday with membership but its worth it.

you money, drink it how you want to and don't just copy everyone else. you can have water you know and pass it off as vodka lemonade lmao

You need to get drunk beforehand. Grab a bottle of cider or something and enjoy a litre at home, job's a good 'un.

You need to get drunk beforehand. Grab a bottle of cider or something and enjoy a litre at home, job's a good 'un.

agree, the nights when i've drank a bottle of wine before going out have been some of the best (and drunkest) nights of my life :D

IN VINO VITALIS!

Agreed, I find downing a cheap bottle of wine is best. Also, surely you have student bars? The college bar here does £1.35 pints, and everything else is incredibly cheap too, so you can usually get yourself suitably drunk before you head off to a club, meaning you don't need to spend loads on drinks when you get there. As far as entry charges are concerned, find out when the free/cheap nights are at the various clubs.

Buying a coke at a bar is sometimes a bit of a job in itself.

Other person enters:

"a vodka and coke, please."

*bloke at bar nods and proceeds to give the person a drink*

I enter:

"a coke please, mate."

"a what?"

"a coke please"

"just a coke?"

"...yes please."

"JUST a coke?"

".....yeah"

"Is that what you really want? Just a coke?

"Gimme the fucking coke, alright!"

Alright, maybe that conversation didn't actually happen, but you see my point. And plus, a coke by itself ain't cheep. Oh no. So, bugger that, i want my money's worth. Screw coke, hello J20. ;)

But anyway, i don't drink, but i usually end up having a good time at clubs and stuff. Quite a few of my friends just drink moderately now, as it saves them money and they just get bored of getting drunk. It's not the most important thing in life, so why not just out to town, have a drink or two, then dance your arse off. You'll save yourself a lot of money, you'll remember more about the night before, and you'll be safe in the fact that you know you had a good time without acting like a nipple. ;)

I've said it a million times, but i'll say it again.

Underage drinking makes you AWEEEEEEEESOME.

Ha, yeah...

Hey, if you want to drink why the fuck should age be a boundary?

Depends which Cider though doesn't it, a lot of cider tastes like utter donkey balls, you need real cider, not pisswater like Strongbow or Gaymers (yes, thats what it's actually called)

Speaking of getting drunk, any rock club fans from Manchester here? Jillys is the single most awesome place ever.

But to answer your question gj15987, most clubs can be made fun with enough alcohol, just get drunk on something cheap beforehand. Failing that - stay in and watch 24 - far more fun than anything one can in the outside world.

Sign in to follow this