NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
demonmike04

What the... Sony and Nintendo could have been allies?

Ok, was supposed to post this the other night while I still had the source link, but I forgot to and thus, have the link no-longer (cant find it in history).

Here was the fact I came upon: Playstation was initially intended to be a CD add-on for SNES to rival the mega-cd. But after a while Sony wanted to make a single console with it.

This actually sounds believable to me, what about you guys?

Yep, known about this for a while, little more to it I believe though wasn't there?

Only had that fact, if any one could post the rest i'd be very greatful :)

This was quite new to me, i kinda found it hidden so i thought i'd share it.

i think that nintendo didnt think there was a market for a cd based device yet, so they dropped sony, and it became the playstation...

Nintendo asked Sony to develop a CD-ROM add-on called "PlayStation" for the SNES. However after Sony revealed that they were developing it, Nintendo instead went to Philips. This caused Sony to consider abandoning their research, however instead they used what they had developed so far and make it into a full blown console. This led to Nintendo filing a lawsuit claiming breach of contract and attempted, in U.S. federal court, to obtain an injunction against the release of the PlayStation, on the grounds that Nintendo owned the name. The federal Judge presiding over the case denied the injunction.

Im ashamed the grammar mistake in the title forced me to change it (from "could of" to "could have")

Anyway yeah heard this ages ago. Would be weird to think what happened if, maybe we need a "whatif" machine.

Would be weird to think what happened if, maybe we need a "whatif" machine.

I'd rather have a Finglonger!

Im ashamed the grammar mistake in the title forced me to change it (from "could of" to "could have")

Anyway yeah heard this ages ago. Would be weird to think what happened if, maybe we need a "whatif" machine.

Oh well, my mistake. This is the internet, I could of talked like some of those messed up game forums some times using numbers for some letters, but yeah, grammar in the title was a mistake, but realy, do you have to be ashamed? Its not the end of the world.

Hmm, if 'what if' machine had came out instead of Playstation, Nintendo wouldnt be able to take over the world of gaming. No Playstation = No PS2 to wipe out sega's dreamcast.

Alot of things would of been different, it just amazes me how much could have been different. But in a sort of way, im glad Playstation came out, as much as I hate to admit it, it was one of the first consoles to get hell loads of new game customers at once.

I've read some huge-ass article about this, and if Nintendo had gone with the Playstation, Nintendo would be part of Sony. Can't rememebr much of it as it's almost 2.. but if you have a search for a bit on GameFAQ's there's alot about it.

Oh well, my mistake. This is the internet, I could of talked like some of those messed up game forums some times using numbers for some letters, but yeah, grammar in the title was a mistake, but realy, do you have to be ashamed? Its not the end of the world.

Nah I wasn't complaining, if anything I was criticising myself really. Its a common mistake that even I wouldn't know about if I hadn't done English Language A-Level.

Yeah, I knew this too. The fact that Nintendo actualy helped "create" thier own enemy... kinda ironic don't ya think?

I've seen an interview with someone who worked with Sony when this happened (now he works for Gamespot) and he said that Ken Kutaragi was mad about it and exclaimed "We're gonna bury Nintendo". In a way he did it.

But the SNES playstation expention didn't go trough because sony and Nintendo couldn't agree on the money??

But just like the USA nintendo made it's own enemy.

Its all good, id rather have Nintendo as a stand-alone company in 3rd place than have some bastard Sony/Nintendo lovechild company. Poor Sega though.....

Sign in to follow this