NEurope
flameboy

The Reviews Thread

Another Tony Hawk - Downhill Jam Review:

http://gamespot.com/wii/sports/tonyhawksdownhilljam/review.html?sid=6162037&tag=recent_updates;title;3

On a side note here are some seriously concerning results from a Poll on Gamefaqs.com:

Got Wii?

Yes, I got my pre-order 8.49% 1532

Yes, I stood in line 5.73% 1033

Yes, I just found one on the shelf 4.33% 782

No, still waiting on my pre-order 6.83% 1233

No, even after standing in line 6.63% 1197

No, I'm not planning to get one now 67.98% 12264

TOTAL VOTES 18041

On a side note here are some seriously concerning results from a Poll on Gamefaqs.com:

Got Wii?

Yes, I got my pre-order 8.49% 1532

Yes, I stood in line 5.73% 1033

Yes, I just found one on the shelf 4.33% 782

No, still waiting on my pre-order 6.83% 1233

No, even after standing in line 6.63% 1197

No, I'm not planning to get one now 67.98% 12264

TOTAL VOTES 18041

That's probably because all the people who did get their Wii are either playing it or sleeping now rather than visiting Gamefaqs.

That's probably because all the people who did get their Wii are either playing it or sleeping now rather than visiting Gamefaqs.

You must also remember that Gamefaqs polls are always spammed by members that oppose certain game / console. PS3 buy poll was spammed by Nintendo fans and so on. Plus as you can notice, numbers are still very low in that poll if compared to "normal" Gamefaqs poll.

You must also remember that Gamefaqs polls are always spammed by members that oppose certain game / console. PS3 buy poll was spammed by Nintendo fans and so on. Plus as you can notice, numbers are still very low in that poll if compared to "normal" Gamefaqs poll.

True, but's good to see Link winning the greatest game character of all time every year :)

Really easy saying that 4 years after the game was launched. And still, its a great game.

This was exactly my point, the second hype dies down it becomes aceptable to critisize a games bad points. Wind Waker was good, but if the press were to re-review it now they would mark it down on all the back-tracking and for the low number of dungeons.

Twilight Princess may turn out near perfect, but we wont know until we play it. Why? Because reviewers cant give they're opinion without being flamed :nono:

This is what I'm talking about.. I hope this is a move that other scorers follow suit with:

The most exciting change is GFW's new scoring system. In a ballsy move, GamesForWindows has recalibrated their score system: a score of 5 out of 10 is "average." Anything above a five is "above average" and anything below five is "below average." Games that previously might have earned 8 or 9 might now be earning scores of 6 or 7! Let's see how long they'll stick to their guns on this one, as they're sure to catch a lot of heat from game publishers. Stay strong, guys! You're on the side of the gamer with this change.

Joystiq supports it (not that they bother doing reviews these days..)

Terribly sad and Justified are not compatible really.

The first suggests that mature Nintendo fans could have tolerated it.

The latter suggests otherwise.

Personally attacking Jeff was wrong.. I doubt he'll lose sleep over it, I'm sure it's an 'in' joke in the GameSpot office.

But he's gonna have a tough time getting a job should he ever want to leave GameSpot and work as a named journalist.

I wouldn't hire him after the shit storm it caused.

Even though I havent played Monkey Balls, I disagree with that review.

LMAO.

....... the world really has gone mad.

Reviews are old school now. Its all about blogs and forums - everyone gets an opinion now. Look at the flaming that happens everytime someone tries and writes an opinion-led feature for this site.

But he's gonna have a tough time getting a job should he ever want to leave GameSpot and work as a named journalist.

I wouldn't hire him after the shit storm it caused.

Um, giving an honest opinion is called good journalism so I fail to see how. What's more, he was brave to not sell out to the ridiculous hype of "OMG! NEW ZELDA GAME!!1" and instead review it as a stand alone game.

:red: OMG!

I'm SO not bothering with the Wii after the abysmal score TP received from GS!!1 I'm also done with the Zelda franchise for good! All future Zelda games are doomed

:red:

:laughing:

In all seriousness though, it's too bad for Jeff Geerstman that he doesn't get the same level of enjoyment out of the game that all of the other reviewers do eg. getting blown away by it. Giving it an 8.8 he clearly thinks it's a really good game but I think he may have become a bit of a cynic over the years when it comes to games.

I'm just sad I won't get to play it for a couple of weeks :weep:

Um, giving an honest opinion is called good journalism so I fail to see how. What's more, he was brave to not sell out to the ridiculous hype of "OMG! NEW ZELDA GAME!!1" and instead review it as a stand alone game.

But he didn't even do that.

"For the most part, that's a very good thing, because Twilight Princess is a lengthy adventure packed with many well-designed puzzles and some interesting characters. But once you get over the rush of excitement from a big, new Zelda game having finally arrived, it's hard not to feel a tinge of disappointment--there's a very noticeable lack of evolution here, which makes aspects of the game seem more dated than classic. Even so, there isn't much out there that compares to Twilight Princess, except for the Zelda games that have come before it."

He's fallen into the trap of directly comparing it to past Zelda titles. As i've said in a previous post, he's coming up with the idea that most gamers who plan to purchase Twilight Princess have already purchased ocarina of time, a link to the past, etc.

Has he reviewed it as a stand alone game. In my opinion, he has not.

A stand alone game? He makes several references to it being too much like Ocarina of Time.

His review is not what I have the problem with, it's the score mostly.

It really is inconsistent now i've seen all his history dug up and thrown around.

Problems with the control's sound, the lack of a modern orchestrated soundtrack and responsiveness of the controls would perhaps warrant 0.8 being knocked off the score from me.

I think the shadow world, the scale and the controls is evolution enough.

The reaction to the Gamespot score is so terribly sad.

I think what that fat **** did was sad. He's simply tried to knock the game to generate hits for Gamespot. They've basically been knocking the Wii and I think being anti-Nintendo.

I said before this game came out that there would be some reviewers who would try to make a name for themselves by knocking this game - Jeff is one of them.

If every score had come back in that region, then it would be fair, but for just one review to come back like that suggests they got it wrong, now that's fine. But when it is one of the two BIG internet gaming sites (IGN & GAMESPOT) that gets it wrong then you start to wonder.

Also, when a game like this comes along, a game surrounded by so much hype and part of one the most beloved series of games of all time, reviewers are supposed to choose their scores even more carefully - to really make sure they get it right. In this case I don't believe Jeff did get it right, and I believe he KNOWS he didn't score it right - he did it for attention.

For me, I think Gamespot have been very anti-Wii, overly so, and to the point of looking biased. This is just the latest in their long line of ridiculous review scores. I just sincerely hope they lose readers over this issue.

I'm quite shocked they only gave Shadow of the Colossus 8.7.

WHO THE HELL DID THAT? That's ridiculous!

Dear lord, they really have no credibility at all. Giving the best PS2 game 8.7 and the possibly best game ever 8.8... amazing.

Dear lord, they really have no credibility at all. Giving the best PS2 game 8.7 and the possibly best game ever 8.8... amazing.

And yet they give Perfect Dark Zero 9.0. Jeez.

Oh i've just noticed that they've reviewed some more Wii games since I last checked.

GT Pro Series - 5.1

Call of Duty 3 - 7.2

Rayman Raving Rabbids - 8.0

Wii Sports - 7.8

Madden 07 - 8.4