NEurope
flameboy

The Reviews Thread

Yes, he's quite an outspoken blogger.. tends to get drunk before he plays games and generally makes bold statements that few people agree with.

I think he's got a point with Wii Sports.. he'll probably have the lowest scores on the Meta Critics.

He used to blog for Joystiq but got forced to resign because of his fanboy attitude.

Yes, he's quite an outspoken blogger.. tends to get drunk before he plays games and generally makes bold statements that few people agree with.

I think he's got a point with Wii Sports.. he'll probably have the lowest scores on the Meta Critics.

He used to blog for Joystiq but got forced to resign because of his fanboy attitude.

Ohhhhhh that dumbass guy from here? I think his names nintendork?

:hehe: I think you will change your mind when you actually play Wii Sports. I can't wait to go Wii bowling :D

I personally think you've got it spot on with WiiSports, but only if replay value is a major factor in your review scoring.

But I have to ask, are those 100% actual confirmed review scores?

Maybe my initial comments were right, Red Steel looks to be the FLOP GAME (Flop as in having serious potential but failing to deliver due to issues with the game ruining the experience) of Wii launch after all.

Exactly, I'm expecting Red Steel to be the FLOP GAME just like Perfect Dark X360 (and we remember the good review scores that got). 70-75% "good production values but poorly implemented, dull in places, sword fighting mechanics need work"

Marvel Ultimate Alliance is my bet for a hidden gem. The gameplay has matured being based on two x-men legends prequels (with v.high review scores approx 80%).... just adding great controls so maybe we will see a 85-90%. Then they have added spiderman to it which drags it to the magical 92% area! Obviously, the ceiling is set relative to the zelda TP score which in this case I have approximated to 96%.

"FLOP GAME"? NGamer gave it 90%. I've read their mag since the birth of the GC, and they haven't let me down yet.

(They gave Banana Blitz 84%, if anyone's interested.)

"FLOP GAME"? NGamer gave it 90%. I've read their mag since the birth of the GC, and they haven't let me down yet.

(They gave Banana Blitz 84%- another must have.)

A sniff of BIAS perhaps the reason behind the over inflated score? It'll be a miracle if Red Steel gets over 7/10 seriously and the only reason it will get that sort of score is due to EFFORT with respect to originality, story and production values. The fact that a mini game and a simple one at that controls better than an entire game is not very encouraging...

I'm always suspicious of how impartial any magazine is when they bag the exclusive first review scoop. Its not like a publisher will give a magazine a privilage and the have its hand bitten. Equally, the later reviews sometimes get wrapped up in hysteria.

I do think there's something to be said for the good reputation of high journalistic standards that NGamer has. If game publishers didn't want to get "their hands bitten" because of a bad game, why would they let anyone review their game ever?

Interesting quotes from two separate reviews

"The controls are easy to wrap your mind around, but they never feel very responsive. That leads to the game’s over-the-top, out-of-control feel, which is exciting at times, but the stunt controls feel positively dead, and the handling for mid-air turns doesn’t feel consistent from jump to jump."

"There are occasions when the Wii's motion sensing faculties have trouble interpreting the movements of the Wii remote, but these occasions were found to be few and far between."

(Gameinformer also has a 2nd opinion reviewer that gives 8/10)

So far score wise, they've been around what i've been expecting, i'm just awaiting the BIG GUYS [higher profile publications] for Twilight Princess.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/746/746145p1.html

Call Of Duty 3 Review. --^

So far score wise, they've been around what i've been expecting, i'm just awaiting the BIG GUYS [higher profile publications] for Twilight Princess.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/746/746145p1.html

Call Of Duty 3 Review. --^

Read the review. That's another bad tease sign that Red Steel is gonna get OWNED in the review. They basically say that Call Of Duty FPS controls are the best on Wii thus far only being second to Metroid.

(They gave Banana Blitz 84%, if anyone's interested.)

I have to say the review isn't great, they don't even comment on the control issues, which for me is a must especially when it is known by everyone that it did intially have control issues, every preview commented on them. They seem to just cast it away with "No longer burdened by dragging a sluggish crosshair."

I've been read ngamer since the n64 days, and their launch reviews aren't great, they gave turok 90% (i think or very close) and it was not a 90% game even then, i enjoyed doom (ok not an N64 launch title) more than turok, they just got hyped at launch. doom to some degree has stood the test of time, whereas turok hasn't

I feel the same may happen with red steel.

solitanze thanks for the heads on the COD3 review, looks like could be re-inacting world war 2 on 8th December rather than sword fighting in tokyo.

Well I don't agree there solitanze. Call of Duty 3 seems more of a hectic game whereas the controls needs to be more fast, responsive and ccurate. I certainly didn't expect such a good score as 7.7 for this and have pretty high hopes of that Red Steel will break around 7.5 - 8.

6.8 for Excitetruck? I'm going to get the game anyway, but I still think the score is sorta dissapointing.........hopefully it won't put too many people off getting the game::shrug:

Lance

hmmm more reading of the CO3 review:

Actually, the visuals seems to fall somewhere between the Xbox and GCN versions of the title. Sure you'll still see planes flying overhead, lightning cracking during a storm and muzzle flashes in the dead of night, but everything has a generally low-res look to it, and it just isn't up to snuff visually.

bit disappointing i'm expecting graphics better than the xbox (GRRR) guess it is a launch title things will get better. did like:

When it comes to a few of the other battle actions though, the game has a few issues. Fighting a Nazi for his gun, for example, can be amazingly frustrating, as it isn't always the most responsive motion control. When going hand-to-hand with an enemy, players will have to hold both controllers horizontally - as if you're actually gripping a gun sideways - and jab forward and backward with the controllers. The sheer amount of energy that has to go into the wresting is far too much though, and countless times we'd shake the controllers and feel like it was some kind of cruel joke as the Nazi pulled the gun away and smashed us with it. Once the initial wrestle is completed, players have to make a two-handed slash with both controllers, and again the controllers aren't too responsive.

tho, the idea of acutally holding the remote and nunchuck like you were trying to wrestle a gun off a nazi sounds incredible, even if they do say it doesn't work all the time.

sounds like call of duty has tried to include as many gesture based motions as they can, which can only be a good thing surely? and means they can only get better.

I'm not sure whether I'd buy any FPS's on the Wii at the mo, of course I will be able to give an answer once I've played them but I can certainly say I don't think I'll be getting any at launch!

I had hoped that these control issues would've been sorted out by now! Roll on Metroid eh?!

I'll still probably end up buying Red Steel even though all signs are pointing to absolute sledging in reviews for "poor controls" as I acknowledge the effort Ubisoft has put into the game and its these EXPERIMENTATION games that we need to buy and ensure sufficient copies are sold if these third parties are to remain with Nintendo and continue to support the Wii...