NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
tyl3r_durd3n

40 Million Milestone for PlayStation 2 in Europe

You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made 15 posts or more. --- stupid rule!

London, 9 November 2006 - Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) today announced a significant milestone for PlayStation®2 with 40 million units now in the hands of consumers throughout Europe and the PAL territories.

The 40 million mark establishes PlayStation 2 as the most popular computer entertainment system in Europe and surpasses its predecessor, PlayStation® (PS one®), which sold just over 39 million units. Now into its 6th year, PlayStation 2 has proved a worthy successor to the groundbreaking PS one, which at the same 6 year mark had sold just 33 million units.

They may have shipped 40 million but that's not how many are in the hands of consumers. At least 5 million of those would have broken.

And i'm happy to not be one of those 40 million

I thought you were an rpg fan?

Wouldn't it make sense to buy the machine with the most (and best) rpgs? :blank:

My bet, 38 million were bought by idiots who buy Fifa and GTA every time one comes out...

We kinda did know the ps2 shipped/sold a shitload. This is no surprise, afterall, Europe is sonyland is it not?

I thought you were an rpg fan?

Wouldn't it make sense to buy the machine with the most (and best) rpgs? :blank:

Well I am, but I hate Sony with passion.

Well I am, but I hate Sony with passion.

That seems a bit silly. To avoid countless hundreds of hours of entertainment because of a faceless company :P

I have to say that I avoid Sony with a passion too, but I can also only afford one console and Ninty will win every time. Plus I have loyalty issues.

Sony are so mainstream and commercial - like a dirty Britney

Ninty have been around much longer - like the rolling stones

I have to say that I avoid Sony with a passion too, but I can also only afford one console and Ninty will win every time. Plus I have loyalty issues.

Sony are so mainstream and commercial - like a dirty Britney

Ninty have been around much longer - like the rolling stones

Which would you rather take home eh?

...Stones. Every time.

That console well deserves to sell that many. It's so full of class games it just isn't funny anymore. I kind of expected the replies I see here. Unappreciating good games for fanboyism joys.

*Strokes his still FIRST PS2!"

That console well deserves to sell that many. It's so full of class games it just isn't funny anymore. I kind of expected the replies I see here. Unappreciating good games for fanboyism joys.

*Strokes his still FIRST PS2!"

I'm on my third :(

Wouldn't trade it for the world though. So many class games, as you said.

Best system i've ever owned.

I'm on my third :(

Wouldn't trade it for the world though. So many class games, as you said.

Best system i've ever owned.

Shouldn't that be systems, as technically you're on your third, therefore have owned three? :D

Anyway, i've never owned one, but they do have a stupid amount of RPGs. I've got friends who are into those sorta games, so they enjoy the console, naturally. But, for me, i'm happy with the other consoles that i've got.

Shouldn't that be systems, as technically you're on your third, therefore have owned three? :D

... You've won this round.

That seems a bit silly. To avoid countless hundreds of hours of entertainment because of a faceless company :P

I'm not denying there are tons of fantastic games on the PS2 and I know I'd love quite a few very much but I am happy as I am, and don't feel I need to splash out the money on it.

In all fairness I bought a Playstation 2 slimline when San Andreas came out and it broke shortly afterwards. My brother's Playstation also broke recently after it was knocked down from vertical to horizontal. It's almost as if they're designed to break so you have to buy another.

The Sony hatred isn't unfounded. It's a hatred born of fanboyism and then validated through the sheer power of truth.

In all fairness I bought a Playstation 2 slimline when San Andreas came out and it broke shortly afterwards. My brother's Playstation also broke recently after it was knocked down from vertical to horizontal. It's almost as if they're designed to break so you have to buy another.

The Sony hatred isn't unfounded. It's a hatred born of fanboyism and then validated through the sheer power of truth.

The only reason people still buy it is only due to the quality games on it.

If i had the money i would get one

I guess I must just look after my consoles better! :P I've yet to have any console die on me. I've got a lovely white PS2 and it's yet to go poof in any sort of way. Reads everything perfect.

I guess I must just look after my consoles better! :P I've yet to have any console die on me. I've got a lovely white PS2 and it's yet to go poof in any sort of way. Reads everything perfect.

How often do you move it? Because as far as i know, theres only one other person with a console that works properly, and he never moves it.

Well I never put it vertically. TBH no console should be no matter what any company says. Discs aren't suppose to be sideways! :P Also I don't move it that often. Move to clean up really. It just sits on the floor nicely.

I'm still on my first one, it's the orginal black one and it works perfectly. Though I admit I havn't played it in a while, it's probably the best console I've owned.

Well I never put it vertically. TBH no console should be no matter what any company says. Discs aren't suppose to be sideways! :P Also I don't move it that often. Move to clean up really. It just sits on the floor nicely.

See, thats probably why. I got my 360 recently, its in horizontal position, and its in a spot that will never be moved.

I think Nintendo consoles are the only ones that could handle being flung around.

well doesn't this thread show that many of the posters here are nothing but nintendo fanboys, biased as hell.

I bet if this was about nintendo wii reaching 40 million in europe all of you here would be saying it's a great accomplisment and postive posts galore.

If i had the money i would get one

I was under the impression that you just bought a 360? Money is of no object to you.

well doesn't this thread show that many of the posters here are nothing but nintendo fanboys, biased as hell.

I bet if this was about nintendo wii reaching 40 million in europe all of you here would be saying it's a great accomplisment and postive posts galore.

There's a bit of a flaw in that, as that's assuming that all Sony-haters are Nintendo fanboys. Last time i checked, there were plenty of xbox/360 fans on this forum, too. ;)

Whether there's something in the Playstations being breakable, i don't know. Personally, i've never known anyone (to my knowledge) who's had a broken PS2. A friend of mine has both the slimline and original versions, and they've never had any problems. Maybe its just the luck of the draw, as all consoles will probably have their fair share of faulty units, or something.

Sign in to follow this