NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
tyl3r_durd3n

EGM December Wii/PS3 Comparisons

from gaming-age forums (You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made 15 posts or more.)

crazybone12002 on GameFAQs found the next issue of EGM in the ProQuest database (those in universities/colleges might know about this). He has some reviews and comparisons from it.

PS3 vs Wii

Motorstorm vs Excite Truck

Resistance: Fall of Man vs Red Steel

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PS3) vs The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)

Call of Duty 3 (PS3) vs Call of Duty 3 (Wii)

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (PS3) vs Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (Wii)

PS3 Downloadable Games vs Wii Downloadable Games

PS3 Controller vs Wii Controller

Madden 07 (PS3) vs Madden 07 (Wii) :shock:

Tony Hawk's Project 8 (PS3) vs Tony Hawk: Downhill Jam (Wii) TIE

ps3 - 4

wii - 4

TIE!

hmmm would be interesting to see why they marked what they did and why. Seems abit of a cop out though having the two tony hawks games tie as a decider, unless they don't appeal in the order given.

I'm really not surprised about Madden Wii. I'm not even an American Football fan, but i've been reading up about this a fair bit. To me, i think it sounds fantastic, and there's some marvellous innovation going on at the moment.

Bit of a cop out with the tie, though.

Wow tie between both THPS. Didn't expect that. But I think there's a little mistake:

PS3 vs Wii

it should read: PS3 vs Wii

--> Wii 5

PS3 4

:D

I'm really not surprised about Madden Wii. I'm not even an American Football fan, but i've been reading up about this a fair bit. To me, i think it sounds fantastic, and there's some marvellous innovation going on at the moment.

yeah they do seem to have innovated here. if they get cracking cracking a new graphics engine, by the time next years is out, it will have even better a game with hopefully good graphics, i don't think the graphics for it are too hot at the mo. im just hoping they create something unique for fifa aswell.

I'm a bit shocked about Downhill tieing with project 8, especially as everyone was writing off downhill before we got any concrete info. Could this mean that project 8 is not what its cracked up to be, or does it mean that Downhill is a much better game than we anticipated? Maybe both?

Wow tie between both THPS. Didn't expect that. But I think there's a little mistake:

it should read: PS3 vs Wii

--> Wii 5

PS3 4

:D

Nuh uh. 5 - 4 to PS3. Project 8 looks better than Downhill Jam, surely?

I hate comparisons, they're not possible, especially not in this case.

Surely comparing COD3 and Marvel is completely valid, as long as they do it on each games merits. Not just on teh graphics!

Motorstorm > Excite Truck?? Get the fuck out.

Is Motorstorm a finished title? It would be a little unfair to make this comparison, especially as how i don't think Excite Truck is anywhere near finished yet. We've got to wait til January before we get it.

Envy of your friends (PS3) vs Envy of your friends (Wii)

Approval of mother (PS3) vs Approval of mother (Wii)

No one on this board has played all the games in the list

All opinions are invalid

Opinions made are pure Fanboyism.

All opinions are invalid

I don't know if you've read the whole thread, but as far as i see, there is only one post which fits in with yours. (the bards about motorstorm being better than excitetruck)

As far as i see, we've mostly been saying that comparisons themselves are not valid, that there is clearly some good innovation going on with Wii titles, such as Madden, and not much else.

Envy of your friends (PS3) vs Envy of your friends (Wii)

Approval of mother (PS3) vs Approval of mother (Wii)

????

maybe you should be called bender?

The Madden comparison is the most interesting one there. Madden has been around for centuries (ancient Greeks loved nothing more than to punt a 40-yarder) and the gameplay is obviously a little too familiar and stale now.

I think the Wii wins this one easily because it has breathed new life into it.

R:FOM versus Red Steel is a different kettle of fish. R:FOM is probably a breathtaking experience in full HD and will be more comfortable than Red Steel in the hands of players used to traditional controls.

All opinions are invalid

Yes, saying the Wii and the PS3 are as of now equal is fanboyism. Do you like that word? Fanboy? Make you feel secure with your opinion?

All opinions are invalid

That's your opinion...

Wait, that means it's invalid. So all opinions being invalid is invalid. But this is also invalid. So . . . *Head explodes*

I don't know if you've read the whole thread

Ofcourse Not

Yes, saying the Wii and the PS3 are as of now equal is fanboyism. Do you like that word? Fanboy? Make you feel secure with your opinion?

I just like to remind everyone what this forum is all about.

That's your opinion...

Wait, that means it's invalid. So all opinions being invalid is invalid. But this is also invalid. So . . . *Head explodes*

Nah, infact, i stated that as a fact.

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz (Wii)

James L: Wrapping your head - or should I say wrists? - around this puzzley game of monkey-stuffed balls takes some getting used to. Holding the Wii-mote horizontally, you carefully maneuver the course to keep your precious ball from rolling off the edge. But since my motor skills are about as skilled as those of a thumb-sucking primate, it was hard to get a grip on all the monkey s*** going on. Halfway through the story mode, the stages get insanely difficult, and I had a tough time making myself continue the balancing act with the controller. It doesn't help that when you clear a level, you're awarded with repetitive boss fights. For me, boredom in the story mode set in quicker than my average time of death: about 30 seconds. Thankfully, dozens of minigames keep the arm-flailing party going, covering events like boxing (which has you literally punching the air) and Frisbee golf (be sure to release the A button, not the controller, after making your toss motion - like I nearly did).

Michael: Frustration - that's the feeling that kept me from squealing like a poo-throwing banana eater. Like Jimmy says, Banana Blitz's levels range from somewhat simple to dumbfoundingly difficult. Mastering the tricky Wii controls doesn't help, either - performing simple actions (like turning around) is a chore using the Wii Remote. But while the main stages slipped, the 50 multiplayer minigames held it steady. Not only are the games fun (well, most of them, at least), but they also make good use of the wacky Wii controls. So long as you stick with the multiplayer, this game is a decent monkey-filled ball.

Jeremy: I think young James missed the point. Sure, you've got a single-player mode here (and it's pretty good, if unreasonably hard in the latter half), but the meat of this ballgame is multiplayer. Wii, like the DS before it, will be glutted by minigames until developers come to terms with the unique controller - and Monkey Ball has 50 of the bad boys, making it the Wii's 800-pound minigame gorilla. Sure, they're not all winners, but some of them (like monkey bowling) are addictive, creative, and fun.

The Verdicts (Out of 10)

James L: 6.0

Michael: 6.5

Jeremy: 7.0

The Good: Some innovative mini-games, mostly simple controls

The Bad: Single-player difficulty, not all minigames a ball

The Story: Bizarre but amusing Publisher: Sega Developer: Sega Players: 1-4 ESRB: Everyone

DBZ Tenkaichi 2 review:

Quote: Richard: Virtual On's dual sticks taught me the wonders of being ambidextrous. EyeToy: Play's Boxing Chump gave me a Tae Bo workout. And now, Tenkaichi 2's Wii Remote setup has turned me into a Kamehameha-acting roleplayer. At first, it was funny - and embarrassing - to mirror the same attack moves performed by Goku, sending my arms through air with the controller as though unleashing a powerful beam attack in real life. But this overzealousness offers a refreshing take on the seldom-deviated fighting formula. And it doesn't seem too ridiculous when you're fighting in memorable environments. Hide behind a rock to avoid fireballs, execute your ultimate superattack to unleash the apocalypse on Earth - these immersive qualities fit the fidelity of the show.

Too bad blocking is a pain. Sure, the motion sounds simple (move the remote upward), but it wasn't reliable. Otherwise, my childhood fantasies of sending a spirit ball from my hands are finally fulfilled. Cosplaying is out of the question, though.

Shane: Tenkaichi 2 isn't one of those immediately instinctive Wii games poised to redefine the genre with its simple, motion-based gameplay. Nope, this 3D fighter forces you to wrap your head (and hands) around a shockingly deep control system utilizing nearly every button on the Wii-mote and Nunchuk. Once you ascend this steep learning curve, the input system works rather well - spastic fireball free-for-alls feel newly visceral and three-dimensional. Plus, dedicated DBZ fans will surely dig the 100-plus unlockable characters.

Michael: Richard is right - this game slaps away your self-esteem as you goofily pantomime devastating fireball attacks with a...uh...plastic remote. But while you'll look like a frazzled fanboy at first, by the time you master the motions, it becomes surprisingly fun in an I-swear-I-won't-ever-do-this-in-public way. Richard didn't mention the robust story mode: Chronicling the entire DBZ saga, it's essentially the however-many-million TV episodes condensed into a bunch of drama-dripping fights.

The Verdicts (Out of 10)

Richard: 7.0

Shane: 6.5

Michael: 7.0

The Good: New fighting-game feel, environments

The Bad: Steep learning curve

Supple Wrists: Long bouts may cause carpal tunnel syndrome Publisher: Atari Developer: Spike Players: 1-2 ESRB: Teen

I just played Yoshi's Island and its awesome, so those guys suck major ass. Also, I read on GAF that TH DJ won.

Motorstorm > Excite Truck?? Get the fuck out.

Similar applies to Resistance > Red Steel.

Anyone else read Edge's hands-on? "Shallow", "overly-buoyant controls", "repetitive", "predictable" and "poor-quality weapons" are a few choice quotes.

Sign in to follow this