NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
phez_boy

will the revo be able 2 play dvds?

i know its a stupid question but I'm not exactly sure if it will b able 2 or not, can some1 clear this up 4 me?

Yes, but you'll have to buy an attachment. Nintendo are saying they want you to be able to play them on the Revolution if you want to, but you shouldn't have to pay extra if you don't want to. This seems to make sense, as everyone's already got a DVD player now, pretty much, although it still seems like a way for Nintendo to make a bit of extra money.

oh ok, that makes me feel better, coz i actually dont have a dvd player, i have an xbox (which i won, never bought) and the only reason i keep it is 4 the dvd feature. oh and ive got halo, thats it

As much as I would pick Nintendo over anyone else, I reckon your missing out on some good games with your xbox. Go out and buy Halo2 or Project Gotham or something - get-em cheap second-hand - they'll be tons of it once 360 is released. Credit's where credit's due.

As for the charging for the add-on, they do that because you have to pay royalities to "the DVD company" on each DVD-playing device you sell. But because the revo won't be DVD capable out the box, you won't need to pay for the DVD function unless you buy the add-on. Same deal with the Xbox remote.

Yes, but you'll have to buy an attachment. Nintendo are saying they want you to be able to play them on the Revolution if you want to, but you shouldn't have to pay extra if you don't want to. This seems to make sense, as everyone's already got a DVD player now, pretty much, although it still seems like a way for Nintendo to make a bit of extra money.

It never occured to me before, but that's a really good idea. The actual player would probably be really small since a lot of the necessary hardware would already be included in the Revolution. You could connect their power cables and then have them share data wirelessly. Voila, two thin black boxes capable of both gameplay and DVD playback. Much more attractive than my current DVD player.

As much as I hate to agree with gaggle, he's right. There's probably a fair few XBox games you should take for a spin, second-hand of-course.

You'll most likely find that the "attachment" is simply a remote control that activates the DVD playback capacity in the Revolution.

royalties to "the DVD company" What are you talking about!? Are you "utterley insane"?

Well i think Nintendo should have put DVD in Gamecube, was one of their many many problems with the GC lol....anyway dont matter with the REV....add on featue is kwl

royalties to "the DVD company" What are you talking about!? Are you "utterley insane"?

I'm not sure how it works exactly, but basically every time someone makes and sells a DVD player, they have to pay a small royalty fee to the guy(s) who invented/patented the DVD - that's why there's exactly the same DVD logo on every single DVD playing device - your PC, your DVD player, your games console, everything. Basically someone, somewhere is extraordinarly rich.

here is an idea the dvd attachment slots into the 'pointer' controller, no? anyone?

good idea u have there

how would they work this with a DVD player thou as it uses that platform so the rev can work on its side.

IF the rev has a idea for a DVD addon that can be attached to the rev ill love to see it hehe

I'm not sure how it works exactly, but basically every time someone makes and sells a DVD player, they have to pay a small royalty fee to the guy(s) who invented/patented the DVD - that's why there's exactly the same DVD logo on every single DVD playing device - your PC, your DVD player, your games console, everything. Basically someone, somewhere is extraordinarly rich.

I think it was Panasonic that invented the DVD. Like Phillips invented the CD. Or moreover patented it.

I think you're right Offerman, but I think it was a collaboration with Sony and Phillips, just as the CD was for Phillips and Sony before it.

And yes, there is some sort of DVD organisation, that's why the 'DVD Video' logo has a trademark 'TM' on it.

You pay royalties for blank storage media, media players and drives than can write on blank storage media.

So only the inventor does not have to pay royalites - Nintendo got a custom drive by Matsushita (currently developing Blu-Ray together with Sony) so I am sure there is some kind of agreement between both of them but for the Revolution it depends on the format and the producer.

If Nintendo would have a Blu-Ray drive they would support Sony with money. Because of the lack of DVD playback Nintendo could save some money and make the Cube cheaper and with the Revolution its the same. Nintendo offers a console without DVD playback for a lower price instead of a higher price with built-in DVD playback.

Even worse is that nowadays also fees for copyright from the music and movie industry are added to media recorders and blank media.

Sign in to follow this