NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
elitemario

Hands-on with the Wiimote!

The comparison to a mouse is good, yes. And it just shows how much better the Wii Remote is, as it's 3D while a mouse is just 2D.

A Wii Remote that would point at the screen would be the same as a mouse that you'd literally put on the screen and move around. However, you do not. You move the mouse around on your desk and the cursor on the screen acts accordingly. Even though you are not actually moving the mouse where the cursor is, it still feels like you are. That's what it'll be like with the Wii as well, except as I said in 3D rather than 2D.

I'm no motion sensing expert (far from it) and I probably suck at explaining, but I really think this is a good thing.

(As in having to point at the screen at all times would distract from the fun somewhat)

0.jpg

The second picture really illustrates that you can point at the screen!!!

elitemario, what you have to understand is that there will be exactly zero interaction between your television and your Wii controller. The controller interacts solely with the sensor bar and the console. The TV just translates that interaction. A light gun actually interacts with the TV screen, registering which pixels were lit or not when you press the trigger (you can read more about light gun technology on Wikipedia), and that's why it has to be pointing there.

The way to move the controller is to look at the screen and see what happens when you make certain gestures. Exactly like a mouse. You don't drag your mouse on the computer screen, you watch the result of your actions on it. It will be exactly the same with the Wii.

EDIT: Yoshiking beat me to it and said exactly the same thing. Now believe it or not, I've been explaining this to people, both on and offline, for quite some time. I thought everyone on this board knew it. :p

If there were four additional sensors (one for each corner of tv screen). Then that would solve the problem as the wii would be aware of the screen size and position.

I bet the prototype had this but they probably found consumers would not adopt such a cumbersome fittings. So their compromise of relative movements and I guess this will probably suffice.

When they enable the (MEGATON) 3D PROJECTOR, this will solve difficulties of not knowing your tv screen size

You know, until this thread I thought the only people who thought it was to be pointed directly at the screen were mostly Nintendo haters who always say the new controller is "just a light gun". I am baffled by the amount of people who assumed this here. Motion sensing technology means a HELL of a lot more than simply pointing at the screen. I think most people still haven't fully realized the concept (including me also) and it will literally take experiencing it first-hand to "get it".

Yes, offcause.. I did not mean that people thought the wiimote would ONLY use pointing-control... thats only sonyboys who think that... Im not stupid... I was only talking about the point-controll..

It's just when you look at etc. the demonstration of Zelda and Red Steel that was shown at E3, the guys where pointing at the screen... and so many game-jurnalists and Nintendo representative have used terms like "point at the screen" and "aim at the screen" and "like a lightgun"...

And apparently most of the EB Games Store managers, atending the vendorshow, thought that they could acturaly point AT the screen...

And please dont get me wrong... I dont think there is any problem in not pointing directly at the screen.... I even prefer not to...

But read a few older previews (etc.: http://wii.ign.com/articles/707/707152p1.html ) and search for the word POINT and you see that it really is being described as POINTING and the wii-mote is even called the wii-pointer... and I would define a POINTER as something you acturally point with... not like a mouse, but like a laserpointer etc...

Still.... I don't have any problems with not being able to point directly... It's just that I think its been quite clearly described, by media and Nintendo itself, as pointing directly at the screen... and it really shocked me when I "found out" that it wasn't so...

Sign in to follow this