NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
elitemario

Hands-on with the Wiimote!

I've just talked with a few of my ex-colleges from EB Games Denmark... They have just, together with every EB Games/GameStop Store manager, atended a "vendor-show", and played Wii (and PS3 :P)...

The guys I talked to both said that they were first shocked when getting to play with the wiimote... thay both asumed (as i did) that they would be able to point the Wiimote directly at the screen for aming... but it did'nt work that way... one of the guys said that he was first holding the controller, not pointing at the screen, and the on-screen-navigation-hand moved smoothly and precise, as he moved the wiimote around... but then he pointet the wiimote at the screen... and the "hand" just flew right out of the screenarea!!! The wiimote actually couldnt be pointet AT the screen, but only around in "free air" - navigation as you would do with a PC mouse... evervy game they played (wario ware, zelda, wii sports and a few other) it was the same... you couldnt point directly at the screen...

I, offcause, told the to EB Games store managers (former co-workers) that the Wiimote had to have been badly calibratet, and that it will be posible to point AT the screen... but they both said that the Nintendo-guy showning them the Wii and guiden them thouh the play-session, said that its not the idea that you point at the screen but that yuo just navigate as with a mouse...

And then I just though.... WTF...

The guys also talked a bit about the aim being a little slow, due to sesiblility... but that could be ajusted...

- They also played PS3... and they hated it... almost 400 EB Games Store Managers atended this event, and most of them didnt like the PS3 and the games playable at all... They said that Moterstorm was Slow, and without any speed-feeling... that Fall og Man was just a game coping stuff from other games, and doing nothinh new... no of the games impressed...

Short first impressions aren't valid in my books.. for either console.

A system has a learning curve.. as does the game.

Technical flaws such as frame rates then fair enough but saying Fall of Man just copies other games on what is potentially a 20 minute play session is ludicrous.

Yes... I agree... But how a console presents itself in the first few minuts is very importent...

they did say that after getting use to the wiimote-control it simply was brillient...

But what do you guys think about that they couldnt point directly at screen, and the ninntedo guy saing it was normal, and that its more like a mouse-control...?

I was glad to hear that there is no need to aim at the screen. Means you can play in a relaxed postion. (e.g. in bed)

All those zelda long play tests said much the same thing. The blue fairy on the screen is a pointer but not actually that relevant to the gameplay.

I'm not sure how feasible that zapper controller will be. Even people who played duckhunt in wii play said much the same thing. You basically don't aim but move like a mouse

yeah iv always known you dont point at the screen, the wiimote interacts with the sensor bar, not directly with the screen. alot of people have said this takes awhile to get used to but once you do its fine.

Most people think it's a laser pointer it's note, it moves like a mouse, once you get that in your head, you're ready to go.

I would like to be able to point at the screen though, though through my experience with Light guns,a fter hour sessions on Point Blank,/Time crisis in the past. Not having to have your arm raised will be a good thing, saving your arm from getting cramp.

I'm curious to understand how the pointer works. The sensor bar probably has 3 sensors (one in the middle, 2 on the sides) that measure the distance to the wiimote black tip by using wavelengths, or time differences.

If it was like a light gun all the selectable items would have to be giant for people with shakey hands or disabilities.

I'm curious to understand how the pointer works. The sensor bar probably has 3 sensors (one in the middle, 2 on the sides) that measure the distance to the wiimote black tip by using wavelengths, or time differences.

I guess it could work as a light gun with callibration. So before the game starts, you point to the 4 corners of the screen. Then it knows how big it is... then maps your interaction with the screen

But what do you guys think about that they couldnt point directly at screen, and the ninntedo guy saing it was normal, and that its more like a mouse-control...?

I know that for at least 6 months, that's what motion tracking is, you're not saying anything new.

I'm curious to understand how the pointer works

It works on a three-gremlin basis, one in the Wiimote and two in the sensor bar. The one in the Wiimote peers out the black bit in the front, using hand signals to indicate to the second in the sensor bar. The second one then shouts to the third who directs the action on screen. The two in the sensor bar are male and female. You know, to er . . . ensure continuation of the work after they expire.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, i cant wait for the Wii but i am nervous to think it wont be very good as well...

I already knew this, read it in a preview feature somewhere. I was relieved, to be honest. They said it took some time to get used to (as they too had thought you would be pointing at the screen), but after they did it was far better that way. And I think it will be too. I'm glad, really, don't see this as a problem.

Yeah... but then what about the gun-thing Nintendo have showed a few times... If you can't really point at the screen that thing will be crap...

Who actually got cramp from playing games like Time Crisis arcades and House of the Dead, either i didnt play long enough or I have good arm musces, but i never got cramp from playing these games.

So i have no fears about holding it too long.

That thing about not being able to point it baffled me, im not gonna start asking any questions. I'm oo baffled. The whole point is to aim it at the tv.....

I know that for at least 6 months, that's what motion tracking is, you're not saying anything new.

:bowdown:

But I really think most people, even most Nintendo fans, thought that you would be able to point at the screen, like a lightgun...

I'm not worried... It'll be awsome no matter what :awesome:

Yeah... but then what about the gun-thing Nintendo have showed a few times... If you can't really point at the screen that thing will be crap...

I think it was very clever marketing. They knew photos would be taken and poeple would jump to conclusions.

But I really think most people, even most Nintendo fans, thought that you would be able to point at the screen, like a lightgun...

You know, until this thread I thought the only people who thought it was to be pointed directly at the screen were mostly Nintendo haters who always say the new controller is "just a light gun". I am baffled by the amount of people who assumed this here. Motion sensing technology means a HELL of a lot more than simply pointing at the screen. I think most people still haven't fully realized the concept (including me also) and it will literally take experiencing it first-hand to "get it".

The second picture really illustrates that you can point at the screen!!!

yes it can point. But you are not aiming at the screen. Indeed, he seems to be aiming up!

The wii has no idea, what size your tv screen is. (could be a 15inch monitor or a 2meter projection) That is the problem. But it may be overcome with some sort of callibration that we have not seen yet. I really want some light gun style games. Until then the comparison to a mouse is well founded

Sign in to follow this