NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
markcullinane

PAL Wii: S-Video Compatible?

Anyone who's confused can check my stickied thread on Video displays explained - hopefully that will help clear up any jargon!

You dont need to be.

As soon as i saw your name i thought this was coming.

It looked like a VGA to me, and i need glasses anyway so we'll leave it at that :D

Modern stuff yes. Even C64DTV outputs S-Video. Atari ST has a composite out, and RF out, and RGB out. European Gamecubes output composite and S-video! Why shouldn't it??? My gamecube came with a composite cable, as all others! I have a gamecube S-video cable, and a RGB cable. Do you want me to connect all that to my osciloscope to confirm?

Go ahead and try to hook up your PAL cube to the TV with the S-video cable. You'll either get a black screen or a greyscale image. Nintendo decided to support RGB on the PAL cubes so they removed the S-video support from them. I don't know why though. NTSC cubes have S-video support. Maybe the RGB took too many of the pins in the connector so they had to leave the s-video out?

To get the s-video image one would have to split the composite into the grayscale and color components. Using the capacitor mod this way (composite source to s-video) lowers the image quality to be even worse than the original composite is. So it's basically useless that way. But there are devices that one can buy to do that conversion properly. And I'm sure there are schematics on how to build one on the internet also.

VGA can output at any resolution in theory. It can certainly handle 1080p.

Nope, VGA by definition is only capable of 480p. Its maximum resolution is 480 horizontal lines.

Once you start getting larger resolutions, you have xVGA or xGA. They are different.

RGB Can't even do 480p, RGB can only go up to 480i.

Coax<Composite<S-Video<RGB<Component/VGA<DVI/HDMI

Also note that if the component on the PAL Wii software will not output progressive scan(480p) there wont be a hell of a lot of difference between RGB and component.

EDIT:

RGB can actual go up to 576i (not sure on the exact number) which is PAL resolution, 480i is NTSC.

RGB is a component video standard that is capable of up to 1080p, although is usually not supported by devices. It is only restricted by those wank Scart sockets in Europe which prevent it from achieving anything more than 576i.

However, proper component cables also carry a luminance, and are coded YPbPr.

But you are right on the software front, if it doesn't support it, it won't be outputted, and so not a great deal of difference between the two. However, it has been confirmed that PAL Wii units will be capable of 480p at least.

Nope, VGA by definition is only capable of 480p. Its maximum resolution is 480 horizontal lines.

Once you start getting larger resolutions, you have xVGA or xGA. They are different.

True, but you a VGA cable is capable of more than VGA resolution. Otherwise a PC monitor wouldn't work.

I have connected my PC to my computer through a VGA running at around 720P. And my PC monitor is VGA and runs at 1280*1024.

As to which one is better, it depends on your TV, but since there is no official VGA cable as of yet, I would stick with component. Of course if you don't have an HDTV then you will want RGB.

Sign in to follow this