NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
markcullinane

PAL Wii: S-Video Compatible?

Does anyone know if the PAL Wii will be S-Video compatible? I know the PAL GameCube had the port, but the feature was disabled as we already have RGB scart, I'm trying to find out if the PAL Wii will actually output an S-Video picture though. I know NoE aren't releasing a cable, but they are in America.

I know what the alternatives are, but for the set-up I'm going to have I need S-Video...

THe feature is disabled in GC? I don't think so, I think you can output with S-video. I hope Wii's compatible though, since the're not releasing VGA cables.

THe feature is disabled in GC? I don't think so, I think you can output with S-video. I hope Wii's compatible though, since the're not releasing VGA cables.

Yes it is. You can't get s-video out from a PAL GC. Some third parties manufactured the cables, but there wasn't much use for them as they didn't work with the GC.

But I bought one and used it for my N64.

Have no fear Marcus. The likelyness of S-Video being supported is very high now that is has been confirmed that PAL Wii units will output in 480p.

is S video better than composite? just they are my only two options as scart socket that doesn't work.

is S video better than composite? just they are my only two options as scart socket that doesn't work.

composite<s-video<RGB<component/VGA (?)

If it outputs composite it outputs s-video. Technicaly composite is s-video with two cables connected through a capacitator.

composite<s-video<RGB<component/VGA (?)

thats the kinda order i thought it went in. tv also has a vga slot for PC's so if (i know its a big if at the mo) one does appear that would be the best?

Coax<Composite<S-video<Component/RGB<VGA<DVI

Coaxial, composite (RCA), S-video and component are all analogue, VGA and DVI are both digital.

Coaxial, composite (RCA), S-video and component are all analogue, VGA and DVI are both digital.

so therefore better? right best hunt down a vga cable :nono:

I'm pretty certain VGA is analogue too. Also component is significantly better than RGB as it's high def.

I'm pretty certain VGA is analogue too. Also component is significantly better than RGB as it's high def.

Sorry, you're right, VGA is analogue. Component and RGB are the same. Component refers to the three colour components of a video image, and are thus RGB for red, blue, green.

VGA also has a maximum resolution of 480p, therefore;

Coax<Composite<S-video<VGA<Component/RGB<DVI

As component and RGB can support up to 1080p, so far.

RGB Can't even do 480p, RGB can only go up to 480i.

Coax<Composite<S-Video<RGB<Component/VGA<DVI/HDMI

Also note that if the component on the PAL Wii software will not output progressive scan(480p) there wont be a hell of a lot of difference between RGB and component.

EDIT:

RGB can actual go up to 576i (not sure on the exact number) which is PAL resolution, 480i is NTSC.

If it outputs composite it outputs s-video. Technicaly composite is s-video with two cables connected through a capacitator.

No. But yes it's easy to convert s-video source to composite with the capacitor mod. The problem with the PAL gamecube is that it doesn't output s-video, only composite or RGB.

VGA also has a maximum resolution of 480p, therefore;

VGA can output at any resolution in theory. It can certainly handle 1080p.

I'm hoping PAL software is capable of 480p. It doesn't really make sense for it not too, especially since it's a built in setting for the Wii menu.

s-video is useful for running through a tv tuner. Wii on my laptop screen - horay (software based tuners arnt as laggy as those of olde)

No. But yes it's easy to convert s-video source to composite with the capacitor mod. The problem with the PAL gamecube is that it doesn't output s-video, only composite or RGB.
Modern stuff yes. Even C64DTV outputs S-Video. Atari ST has a composite out, and RF out, and RGB out. European Gamecubes output composite and S-video! Why shouldn't it??? My gamecube came with a composite cable, as all others! I have a gamecube S-video cable, and a RGB cable. Do you want me to connect all that to my osciloscope to confirm?

I havnt been invlovled in this discussion cos i dont know what the differences are.

So which one will eventually be better for Wii, Component or VGA?

I'd have thought VGA cos I've got one for my pc to my tv. And it looks mighty fine. Lol, i have my VGA taken up by pc and Component taken up by 360, theres no room for Wii...

Theres no confirmation of a VGA lead for the Wii at present. I'd reccomend getting the component lead and some form of component switch.

There's a component switch by js technology that's about £50 which I've only heard good things about.

And one sold by lik-sang for £15 that I've heard mixed reviews, of loss of quality and simply faulty.

The js technology one has the advantage of being able to switch automatically, whereas the lik-sang one is a manual switch.

I use a manual scart switch for my gc at present, because most times I want to play the GC I have to get up at switch it on anyway or change game. An automatic switch would probably be better for the Wii as the on/off button is on the remote and with the Virtual Console and Channels your less likely to be getting up to change games anyway.

looks like a VGA to me.

Plus theres an official component at that link i just put up, so if anything ill go official.

Correct it does look like a VGA cable, but it's a D-Cable. I can't post links yet but do a search on wikipedia for "D4 video connector" for an example of what one looks like. It's a popular connection in japan on the same par as component.

Even if you get the official Component lead you'll still need a component switch so you wont have to keep swapping between your 360 and your Wii.

google component-to-VGA boxes and I find a cheap and conveniten way to connect the wii to a monitor. HorarrA

Sign in to follow this