NEurope
flameboy

Mario Party 8

I personally find "nitwit" more offensive, as it suggests that you have the wit of a nit.

I think they have more to worry about than the word "spastic".

You guys should check out some of the mini game explanations. Some of them have a really bad translation. Some text is translated like it was done with an online service that translated it from Japanese to English.

I remember playing the game when my friend stood up and said " OMG, what dirty japanese/english translation is this ", then we both read it again and shook our heads from left to right :D

What Social says is correct, the translation is appauling...in the battle mode the MC announcer (can't remember the characters full name as he really annoys me) comes across as a Yoda impersonator "indeed mini-game you play" :indeed: However it's quite amusing when there are a few of you playing drunk :)

I've got no intention of buying this game. But i am annoyed at it being recalled because of one very simple reason, which can be summarised in this question:

Nintendo, why the fuck did it take over a month after the US release to be brought out in europe? It obviously wasnt for translation purposes as you didnt bother, so... why?

If they are going to delay games for "localization", they should at least try to localize it to keep up the lie. Don't you think?

Although maybe this is the proof that they need months and months to localize games. Trauma Centre, and paper mario, anyone?

Nintendo, why the fuck did it take over a month after the US release to be brought out in europe? It obviously wasnt for translation purposes as you didnt bother, so... why?

They would have had to have translated it to the other European languages too...

Fed up of being held back by other European countries. They should just speak English already damn it.

;503022]They would have had to have translated it to the other European languages too...

quite correct.

The UK is part of europe... but they obviously didnt actually bother to 'translate' it for the UK.

If we just get the US version of games' date=' why do we have [i']any[/i] delay?

quite correct.

The UK is part of europe... but they obviously didnt actually bother to 'translate' it for the UK.

If we just get the US version of games, why do we have any delay?

Because they still add French, Dutch, Spanish and the rest...

Its not like they change the box from saying NTSC to PAL and ship it over here.

;503048]Because they still add French' date=' Dutch, Spanish and the rest...

Its not like they change the box from saying NTSC to PAL and ship it over here.[/quote']

I know that the euro discs have french, spanish, german, italian etc (i think they frequently leave out dutch for some reason). I am aware that the delay is because of these languages. That is not my point

My point - maybe i should have stated it more bluntly earlier to avoid confusion - is: If we in UK have to wait for the other languages to be added for our region, then why arent we in the UK also given the benefit of localization when everyone else gets a full-blown translation? Surely if the game is held up while all the languages are translated, then maybe we should also feel some benefit too?

Then again, there's over 30 languages in Europe. The effort used to change the dialect in the American English version could be used to translate into another language instead.

It's not like the swiss receive their special version of german/french/italian either.

Of course the UK market is a much larger one, but the non-german/french/italian mainland european market is probably still bigger and they really don't care if Mario says cahn't or kehnt (how do you write that phonetically? lol).

;503048]Because they still add French' date=' Dutch, Spanish and the rest...

Its not like they change the box from saying NTSC to PAL and ship it over here.[/quote']

They wouldn't need to add French! The Canadian version would already have that in each game, so thats techinically already there. :smile:

they leave out dutch be coarse we are smart enough to learn English. and if you ask me they can leave out all the others to. just give us Japanese and English. and for the people who cant read or understand it give them the trance lated version when its done but in the mean while the rest of the world can enjoy the game in english

Most people speak English and are taught it in schools now anyway don't they?

They wouldn't need to add French! The Canadian version would already have that in each game, so thats techinically already there. :smile:

Fine. Spanish. Dutch. German and I think another. Still not a five minute job.

Most people speak English and are taught it in schools now anyway don't they?

We're all taught French or German in schools. Would you say you use it often?

Why be made to have an English version if its not you're first language. Lets not forget English is a minority primary language to most of Europe. Its a bit unfair that we expect the rest of Europe to speak our language becasue we're impatient/selfish.

;503767"]Why be made to have an English version if its not you're first language. Lets not forget English is a minority primary language to most of Europe. Its a bit unfair that we expect the rest of Europe to speak our language becasue we're impatient/selfish.

Why can't games get treated like other media. e.g. books?

Why can't games get treated like other media. e.g. books?

Books are a more popular and more reputable and part of a bigger industry (maybe less grossing, but when you consider the amount of books vs the amount of games...)

I just spotted Mario Party 8 in my local Tesco, all sealed in the security boxes, no sign of a recall there.

Now i want it -_-...But the spastic edition.

I would buy it in Malta if I could find it...If I knew it wasn't incredibly overpriced.

;503767"]Fine. Spanish. Dutch. German and I think another. Still not a five minute job.

We're all taught French or German in schools. Would you say you use it often?

Why be made to have an English version if its not you're first language. Lets not forget English is a minority primary language to most of Europe. Its a bit unfair that we expect the rest of Europe to speak our language becasue we're impatient/selfish.

I was only saying...

Also i wasn't implying that i expect the rest of Europe to speak English and English only in a horrible manner, like you obviously thought, i was only stating that alot of European countries speak and are taught English, which is very good and that releasing a English only version may not be a huge problem, of course i was wrong.

EDIT: Anyway, the Argos i work at got some in today and it stated 'Withdrawn from sale' so we wasn't allowed to sell it (obviously).

Just played my first game of Mario Party 8 and I have to say I enjoyed it.

Also at what H-o-T mentioned earlier about the mini-games at the end of the round,I just done a quick single player,10 rounds and I done a mini-game at the end of everyround and it saved automatically aswell.I like the Candy aspect aswell,brings up more tactics to do.Obviously I won my first game with 5 stars.Also I used a candy and teleported to where Luigi was (right behind a star) and nabbed it.Felt good.

Are you still have the problem H-o-T? Maybe it's the settings or something.

Just played my first game of Mario Party 8 and I have to say I enjoyed it.

Also at what H-o-T mentioned earlier about the mini-games at the end of the round,I just done a quick single player,10 rounds and I done a mini-game at the end of everyround and it saved automatically aswell.I like the Candy aspect aswell,brings up more tactics to do.Obviously I won my first game with 5 stars.Also I used a candy and teleported to where Luigi was (right behind a star) and nabbed it.Felt good.

Are you still have the problem H-o-T? Maybe it's the settings or something.

It wasnt in party mode its where you face off a random character 1 on 1 with a task such as first to 50 coins, first to get a star etc.

It wasnt in party mode its where you face off a random character 1 on 1 with a task such as first to 50 coins, first to get a star etc.

Ah right I get you now.My bad : peace:

Have you seen the whole "spastic" thing yet?

I havent touched the game in ages, cant bring myself around to play it as its too slow. Plus Paper Mario is getting all my Wii time :)

I havent touched the game in ages, cant bring myself around to play it as its too slow. Plus Paper Mario is getting all my Wii time :)

I've mostly been on Paper Mario and Resi 4,take up all my Wii time :heh:

I'm about halfway through Paper Mario now.

I see the recall went well.

Mario Party 8 is at number 5 in the UK charts for week ending 14 July.