NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Stocka

Rumour: Revolution to be $99

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/

The latest Nintendo Revolution rumor to hit the web is a doozie… “Nintendo may be aiming for a $99 launch price.†Yeah, it’s a dirty rumor, but could it be done? Doing so would put the Revolution in a league of its own, practically excusing it from the next-gen battle—it simply wouldn’t be competing with the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 if it were wearing a $99 price tag.

We’re likely going to see a lot of these rumors popping up in the coming months. Some suggest that rumors like this might be motivated by a desire to discourage prospective Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 buyers. Needless to say, we should take this rumor—and the ones to follow—with a grain of salt.

Update: it’s also important to remember that Nintendo doesn’t sell its consoles at a loss. If a $99 Revolution is a real possibility, we can expect the system to be only a fraction as powerful as the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360.

Sounds like bullshit to me, no chance of happening. But hey its a rumour so why not post it :heh:

Or, to take a hold of the industry once again they are willing to sell thri console at a loss knowing that tey'll make up for it with sftware sales.

They cold be taking a risk, but maybe feel they need to have one last shot...

Or, alternatively the rumour could be abolsute bollocks!!

Probably bollocks in my honest opinion. Although as a rumour, it bears an uncanny resemblance to this movie:

23700-large.jpg

Bunch of nerds design a holographic touch-sensitive PC for $99.

No chance that the Revolution will be only 99$ without having Nintendo to pay the major part of the bill. Moreover I think that IF the console would retail for 99$ without a loss for Nintendo it would be heavily underpowered and important aspects of console gaming would need to be cut off. In my point of view Nintendo should aim for a 200$ price tag and maybe accept to lose 50$ per console to deliever a cheap but yet powerfull and sophisticated entertainment device. Before I forget I think many customers (mostly casual gamers) would think that the console is less good because of the cheap price which would result in a very poor reputation among the public.

No chance that the Revolution will be only 99$ without having Nintendo to pay the major part of the bill. Moreover I think that IF the console would retail for 99$ without a loss for Nintendo it would be heavily underpowered and important aspects of console gaming would need to be cut off. In my point of view Nintendo should aim for a 200$ price tag and maybe accept to lose 50$ per console to deliever a cheap but yet powerfull and sophisticated entertainment device. Before I forget I think many customers (mostly casual gamers) would think that the console is less good because of the cheap price which would result in a very poor reputation among the public.

I agree with youu and hope this is what they do.

$99? Yeah right. I honestly don't see this happening. Stick another 100 dollars on there. Now your talking more sense. I'm expecting the Revo to be cheaper then competition, but not that cheap. GBMicros are priced around there aren't they? A machine costing $200, maybe a little more, would be enough to provide decent graphical performance while remaining significantly cheaper then the competition. Unless Nintendo have stumbled across some crazy new manufacturing technique to keep costs down, like reserecting the actual undead hordes to work in their factory as zombie slaves, this simply isn't, ever, going to happen.

It'd be cool if they could sell it at a profit for $100, and solf it at $200. Have price cuts now and again, every 6 months or so. It'd rock!

$99 price tag would hurt them more than help. Only the hardcore Nintendo fans would buy the rev if the GFX were a lot worse compared to the other two. It will probably be at $99, but not at least 2 or 3 years.

It's going to have a GameCube-level specification anyway, so it's understandable.

Well, we don't know anything about specs yet, but I'm fully expecting the Revo to considerably more powerful then the GC, maybe a little way shy of the 360. I reckon such a machine would be perfectly possible at around $200/-odd. Maybe about $250 tops (round about £140 - still £70 cheaper then the basic 360 unit). It not having a hard-drive or needing to fulfill HD support should make it more then possible for Nintendo to sell a decent machine at a relatively good price and still make a profit.

$99 would just be stupid :D most people are ready to pay more so why sell it for $99. I doubt they would sell it for less than the starting price of the ds.

$99 is sar too less, and wouldnt work in Nintendo's favor, but instead will show the console is much far underpowered, underdeveloped and no multimedia facilities to the public.

hahaha

this has to be thee worst rumour ever. 299$s seems a lot more plausable.

300$ is too much.maybe we ca see it at 200$.they said it would be cheaper than the others so we must believe in it.and DS was also really cheap for a new console, so they know what are doing:)

What I really hope is that the games wiil cost less than the GC ones

I doubt it'll be anywhere near as much as $300 (although that wouldn't be at all bad) - Possibly $200, definitly no-more then $250. And if I'm wrong, I will personally eat my entire games collection. You think I'm joking. don't you?

lol

I dunno why I put a 2 in front of the two 9's, I was supposed to put the number 1 there :P

I'm more than positive that the Revolution will launch under 200$s USD.

A new next-gen console improved graphics, gameplay, with online, download capability and DVD for £99? not very likely, after about 1 1/2 years maybe but not at release no way, that isn't even enough to get proper earnings with

It's going to have a GameCube-level specification anyway, so it's understandable.

Heh. Your quite wrong there mate.

It's going to have the same sort of specs as the Xbox360 with just a few small modications on the chip - a little bit less power basically, but not too much. It'll be more how the console is built.

Again, most publishers don't fully drag the most out of a console for years after the release. And by then we'll have the next generation.

:);)

IF they can make a profit at $99 why sell at that price nintendo should sell at $199+ to make more profit pre machine

if this turns out to be true of course

Ha! $99? Expect $199 at launch (a traditional Ninty console price in the USA) at least. It'll be $99 if it fails and ends up in clearance sales though.

Bah, sounds like bullocks to me, more likely it will launch with a pricetag of 199 bucks, or 249. If they sold it at 99, it could draw away alot of next-gen gamers (since it couldn't have good enough graphics, and wouldn't be seen as a next gen machine by many) and it could potentially compete with their own portable consoles.

Sign in to follow this