NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Heaven

Subtitles

Ok guys, I wrote this letter for IGN but they never answered me...assholes. I will send it again and again!:mad:

Here it is: What's your opinion?

Dear IGN ;

I'm not writing this letter for any advice or information for a videogame. It's about a problem that's killing me since I bought the truly- awesome game called Resident Evil 4 for Gamecube. You may understand what I mean. I'm writing this letter for the serious lack of subtitles in videogames.

Even the most important-the most wanted games may have not subtitles. I'm not meaning translations in spanish or french or italic or I-don't-know-what-the-hell other language. I mean the most common language in the world. English (not Chinese). This may not be a serious problem for you which your mother tongue is english yet I'm sure that you never understood 100% the dialogues (without the subtitles beneath) in a whole game or movie. But what about us Europeans? (okay.there are the Asians too but they don't care that much) The French,the Greek,the Norways and the Dutch people? Ok- you may answer me that that's why the translations in other languages are. This may be true but translation in Greek? Come on now...! Yet most of us -gamers or not- prefer to listen the dialogues or the advice given in a videogame in the language they were made to be. Not crappy translations in Spanish or Italic (Yeah.Most of them are crap). Furthermore subtitles are necessary for the deaf or hearing impaired people (I belong to this team).

This problem growned bigger in the generation of videogames that's about to die; it will grow even more in the generation that just begun. I'm afraid my fears will come true. My final question is : Why? Europe is a big market. That's what I had to tell you. Please answer me. I need to learn the answer and i'm sure a lot members on this site would like to learn.

Thank you

PaDem

By the way...sorry for my bad english. I did the best I could!

Why send it to IGN? Why not the makers of the game.

i bet they would have better answers for that question

Maybe if you write it in English they'll reply, because I have no idea what you're trying to say...

Maybe if you write it in English they'll reply, because I have no idea what you're trying to say...

Don't be a prick!

Heaven is simply stating that many popular games, like Resi 4, do not have subtitles for the hearing impaired/deaf. Which is the category Heaven falls into. Plus, Heaven is from Greece, which means his mother tongue is not English so he finds it even harder to understand what people say, what with their accents and everything. And he's worried it will carry on into the next gen games. Causing more trouble for people with hearing problems.

I don't have hearing problems so I can't really say anything about this matter. But if it really is becoming a problem then perhaps something should be done about it.

What a productive comment. Back under your bridge, please.

I don't have any kind of hearing impairment, but even I'd like subtitles to be mandatory. Take Splinter Cell: Double Agent for instance: throughout the entire game I could barely hear a word of the dialogue as the voiceovers were consistently drowned out by other noise. But no option to change the audio balance, no subtitles, nothing. It's the same for GRAW as well: I've no idea what the story was.

Subtitles are such a basic thing to include I don't see how anyone can justify their absence, especially in games with lots of background dialogue.

IGN are not game-making in their influence in the video-game world, why are you raising the issue with them? They're journalists like the ones working on N-E, except getting paid for it. They might write back to you and say "yes... I agree", but there's nothing they can do about it.

I'd suggest writing to Nintendo :)

Ok, I'm sending it to Nintendo and Capcom... thanks.

Nintendo and Capcom should be worried...I'M COMING!! TEH BOOM!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! SUPER! YOU ARE AWESOME ! OH MY GOD!!!

fuck you

[..]

But what about us Europeans? (okay.there are the Asians too but they don't care that much) The French,the Greek,the Norways and the Dutch people?

[..]

Please, leave us out of this, we don't need subs. :P

Seriously though, most of us really don't need subs, but I agree it's allways a nice option to have. I usually don't use them, but there are sometimes situations where they can be usefull: dialogue where accents and slang are involved (Irish for example), or dialogue with a lot of technical terms. Or in Star Trek, when they speak Klingon (allways fun to see! :D), or in music shows, to read the lyrics. Anyway, I can do without them most of the time, but still, captions for the hearing impaired would be a nice gesture to the ehh, hearing impared. Personnally I don't care much though.. I haven't played RE 4 yet, but I doubt there's some complex dialogue (or am I mistaking?).

I've never had this problem with games as of yet, but at least with movies, I've had to turn subtitles on just because of the way an actor had said a line that didn't come out clearly enough. So I would agree an option to turn subs on or off would be nice.

Yeah, I agree with Heaven that subtitles in games should be an option. Not just for the hearing impaired, but just for all those people who are not used to hearing/speaking English.

I know I've had (and still have) quite some problems with understanding certain words and sentences (this is usually just in movies, cause I don't really have that many games with voices, but I bet it's the same). It's really bad when the characters get crazy accents too (and I'm sorry to say it, but British English for me is a lot harder to understand than American English). Subtitles would be really handy then. Just to make sure you can understand -everything- they're saying, not just every other word.

But yes, send an email to the game developers, not IGN. IGN won't care much about it to begin with, I think. Plus it's just nothing they can do anything about.

I think I should point out that I can't remember not understanding the dialogues in a game, so I don't need subtitles, but if other people need them, then they should be there.

To be honest, I think they shold leave the spoken language as whatever it was originally, then add subtitles in whatever language.

Sorry to hear about your hearing problem (pun not intended).

Are you deaf, or just impaired?

As I have said before, (almost) nobody is completely deaf... pretty much everyone has some hearing, unless they actually don't have cochlears or have brain damage.

Just impaired. I can hear but lower than you

oh and i loooooove music!

(and I'm sorry to say it, but British English for me is a lot harder to understand than American English).

Don't be sorry. It's true. That's what makes our country: the different accents. I love having a Birmingham accent. It's great :grin:

Usually I don't have any need for them, but remember the problems I had in Killer7 and GTA:SA (this one had subs, but still).

You must be a 'tard then, because apart from the odd spelling or punctuation mistake I understood it okay.

Weird how lack of a commar or whatever will completely throw people of a lesser brain capacity.

i like subs.Even when watching movies.Sometimes you can mishear things.i never noticed that resi evil 4 never had any mind.The situation will improve though because Most movies have them and from what i have seen the gaming industry is mimicking the movie all the time

Don't be sorry. It's true. That's what makes our country: the different accents. I love having a Birmingham accent. It's great :grin:

Well that should depend on how strong it is.:heh: A very strong BirminGham accent has to be one of the most annoying. (Much like some whiney American ones)

Well that should depend on how strong it is.:heh: A very strong Birmingham accent has to be one of the most annoying. (Much like some whiney American ones)

It's not too strong, but it is noticeable. The strongest accents are in the Black Country area.

I agree. Games should have sutitles. I often read subtitles even when they speak english. It's sometimes hard to understand them.

Have you recieved a reply from nintendo and/or capcom yet?

I agree. Games should have sutitles. I often read subtitles even when they speak english. It's sometimes hard to understand them.

Have you recieved a reply from nintendo and/or capcom yet?

*sigh* not yet....

Games should use them over voice acting, it makes the experience more imaginitive.. I hated having to put a voice onto Barrett and Tifa in Advent Children.

Also, kids can't read that well these days.. it will only help them improve.

I say ditch voice acting for subtitles for ever.

Ok Capcom answered me

They said that they are really sorry and that they will delay the Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles to 2010 just for the subtitles! Ok,great! :grin:

just kidding lol

Sign in to follow this