NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
ReZourceman

Rare Games Question, Virtual Console.

Are we going to be seeing DKC,DKC2 and DKC3 on the Wii VC?

Please dear lord dont make me cry....

Are we going to be seeing DKC,DKC2 and DKC3 on the Wii VC?

Please dear lord dont make me cry....

I cant see why not... yeah Rare made the games but im sure Nintendo owns the rights to them.

I cant see why not... yeah Rare made the games but im sure Nintendo owns the rights to them.

Correct! Nintendo OWNS those games even though Rare made them. They will be there. Its a shame about Goldeneye and Perfect Dark though:horse:

Donkey Kong is pretty much certain that it's possible, don't forget Nintendo brought the games to the Game Boy Advance, even though at the time Rare was already property of Microsoft. However, Rare gave permission for those, so if Microsoft denies permission, don't expect them...

Nintendo owns rights to Donkey Kong as a franchise, not the games that were not developed by them.

Correct! Nintendo OWNS those games even though Rare made them. They will be there. Its a shame about Goldeneye and Perfect Dark though:horse:

Goldeneye is possible if Nintendo and Activision make a deal about Bond license. Rare was only developer* for the game, and they don't have publishing rights for it.

* Perfect Dark and few other later Rare games are different, as Rare both developed and published these games.

Donkey Kong is pretty much certain that it's possible, don't forget Nintendo brought the games to the Game Boy Advance, even though at the time Rare was already property of Microsoft. However, Rare gave permission for those, so if Microsoft denies permission, don't expect them....

Rare never had any rights to DKC series, and Nintendo could have ported them to GBA without Rare. But Microsoft just decided for some reason that it would allow Rare to do games for Nintendo's handheld devices, and Rare approached Nintendo about DCK ports.

Nintendo own all of the games made by Rare that were published by Nintendo themselves. Nintendo also own the DK license, and Rare/Microsoft own the license their self-made Characters.

So, this means that all Rare games using Nintendo characters will be fine. DK64 tho...it uses some Rare-made characters, but presuming they come under the "DK" license, it should be fine. Remember, Nintendo sold Rare completely so they still could own all Donkey Kong related stuff (Microsoft wanted Rare to make GameCube and Xbox games originally....Nintend weren't keen on Donkey Kong on a Microsoft console)

GoldenEye...well, I don't think Rare actually owns anything to do with the game. Nintendo own the game code, and Activision (and partly EA still) own the bond license.

Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini and Banjo-Kazooie are problems, tho. However...Microsoft don't really have anything to lose by letting Nintendo put them on the VC. Only things they will do is generate profit for Microsoft and gain hype for future games.

edit: Because of this, Rare could never put, say, Banjo-Kazooie as an "unlockable" game in the next Banjo game, or port it in any way without creating the whole game from scratch again.

If I paint something and sell it, than that person is not allowed to copy nit either. If I write something for a magazine and sell it to the magazine, the magazine can't publish it anywhere they want. The code is developed by rare, and is in that way property of Rare. Ever noticed the © Nintendo/Rare in the start screen? It means Rare has something to do with it. It's really the characters that are Nintendo's property. But I can be wrong, but I thought it was like I said. Prove me wrong. No really, prove me wrong, because I want to know now.

So there is hope for Goldeneye? Nintendo - if you love us at all you will make this happen. Goldeneye was amazing, I just wish my N64 controllers still worked :(

Rare games won't get published on VC. Donkey Kong Country belongs to Nintendo though.

That said, seeing the GBA ports of those games I don't think we'll see them on VC anytime soon.

So there is hope for Goldeneye? Nintendo - if you love us at all you will make this happen. Goldeneye was amazing, I just wish my N64 controllers still worked :(

Nintendo did closed marketing survey during this year's march where they asked questions like "what price range you would prefer", "would you be interested in renting games" etc. One question was "What games you would like to see in VC", and it had large list of different Nintendo games. Goldeneye was on that list, but none of the more recent Rare games wasn't. Interestingly enough Donkey Kong Country 3 wasn't on that list either, but most logical explanation is that Nintendo wants to wait releasing games that recently got GBA port.

Nintendo did closed marketing survey during this year's march where they asked questions like "what price range you would prefer", "would you be interested in renting games" etc. One question was "What games you would like to see in VC", and it had large list of different Nintendo games. Goldeneye was on that list, but none of the more recent Rare games wasn't. Interestingly enough Donkey Kong Country 3 wasn't on that list either, but most logical explanation is that Nintendo wants to wait releasing games that recently got GBA port.

If DKC3 never makes it to VC, I will cry.

I need that game.

Its not the same on GBA, by a long shot. Thanks for all the (somewhat clashing) information though guys!

Its not the same on GBA, by a long shot. Thanks for all the (somewhat clashing) information though guys!

The best thing to say is:

The situation is a bloody mess.

If DKC3 never makes it to VC, I will cry.

I need that game.

The GBA version was an inexcusable mess. DKC 3 was, is and will remain my second most favourite game of all time. Nothing I have played has ever come close as a platformer for me.

Plus, as a Native American, the "Northern Kremisphere" theme with the pine forests and mountains really called out to my tribal memory. *sigh*

yea i hope DKC3 does make it as i only played it on the PC and it was a strange method of playing but the game did seem great so will like the chance to play the game properly

The GBA version was an inexcusable mess. DKC 3 was, is and will remain my second most favourite game of all time. Nothing I have played has ever come close as a platformer for me.

Plus, as a Native American, the "Northern Kremisphere" theme with the pine forests and mountains really called out to my tribal memory. *sigh*

Word. I didnt buy the GBA game or play it, because I knew it couldnt compare.

DKC2 and DKC3 are still like....top 5 EASILY of my favourite games. I LOVE them both, so freaking much. The music (Bramble levels theme from DKC2 is currently my message tone) the levels, moves, characters, graphics. Best 2D platformers without question.

It would be a real shame if Banjo never came to the VC.

i never liked DK3.I mean it was good but felt childish compared to the darker Dkc2.2 had the best music and all.

I agree that DKC 2 had a far darker tone, but graphically and gameplay wise, DKC 3 was just a little bit cleverer in its overall execution. The option to explore the map was great as opposed to being shepherded around all the time, plus there was so much more personality to the game -at least from my point of view.

Don't get me wrong, DKC 2 still makes the top ten (particularly for the aforementioned Bramble Blast levels) as it was an incredibly good game, but for overall entertainment value, DKC 3 pips it neatly to the post.

There is a possibility Nintendo will cut a deal with Microsoft to allow the games to be released if there is enough revenue to warrant it.

Microsoft would be saying no to free money, and considering there is no life in the old games.. it would do Microsoft no harm.

In fact putting the old Banjo games on Nintendo WiFi would probably increase sales of the new 360 version of Banjo that Rare is working on.

That's what they did with Metal Gear.. release the originals for the Cube.. get some Nintendorks hooked to the story and get them to buy a 360 and the new one.

Microsoft would be saying no to free money, and considering there is no life in the old games.. it would do Microsoft no harm.

Well Nintendo is just about to prove that there is life and money in old games with the Virtual Console....

I think releasing the Banjo games on Live Arcade makes much more sense than getting them released on Virtual Console; Xbox players are used to play Halo and games like Gears of War, but Banjo-Kazooie games are not known to them (mostly). So if they get the chance to check these incredible games out before Banjo-Threeie (admit it Rare, that's the title), it could boost sales for the game. Makes sense in a business-way.

I think releasing the Banjo games on Live Arcade makes much more sense than getting them released on Virtual Console

The thing is, Rare will probably have to re-make half of the engine, plus they will need permission from the publishers (Nintendo) of the game to do it.

Sign in to follow this