NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
mcj metroid

Was the n64 controller a success?

I think not anyway.i thought the controller was a joke.Yes i know it introduced anologue and eventually rumble but does the controller stand the test of time........no i would think.

whats your opinion on the n64 controller?

The answer is yes.

But also no....It couldn't stop Sony stealing Nintendo's ideas. The same with the Gamecube controller (of which Big N aren't keeping the awesome shoulders. Argh!!)

In my opinion the n64 was the greatest system ever. It has Nintendo and Rare's finest work to date, the sheer number of now classic games is astounding. Sales wise, 30 million + is a fair success, a failure if you compare it to the playstation.

The only thing about the controller that doesnt really stand the test of time so well is the 3D stick, well mine are all loose after so much play anyway. Apart from that I think it was a great design, not that the Cube or Snes and all are bad. The N64 one was great for the games on it: A, B and the four C buttons, they were used to their full devastating effect in Duke Nukem and ISS.

I don't think Nintendo realised that unlike some Japanese people that may or may not have lived in vague proximity of Hiroshima, most of us don't actually have 3 hands...

The D-Pad kinda sucked a bit too...All my analog sticks broke...It was a bit clumsy...

I'd say yes! It was a fantastic and comfortable controller at the time!

The Z trigger was awesome and the analogue was great!

It's not as comfortable using it now, but that's because of the Wavebird!!

I think its the best design out of all of Nintendo's console, although the analouge sticks on my controllers are loose too :(

I think it's been the best controler so far.

I really hate the Cube controller.

Overall I really like the design of the N64 controller, even though de left handle is rare used, and not used at all in the games I have.

I do agree the analogue stick on the Cube controller is much better.. It's more fluid, and I reckon far more resilient.. I recently played OoT and PD again, and the stick was all worn out. After a bit of cleaning, it was somewhat ok.. Also the Dpad is better (but that doesn't make it great), but that one's rarely used on both controllers, at least as an active navigation button.

But the Z, the L & R, are far better on the N64 controller. Those are triggers, they're faster and much more responsive. I'm glad the analogue function is gone, it really messed up controls in the games where it's used.. Starfox 64 and Starfox Assault is a good comparison. Personally I prefer the C-buttons over the C-stick. For navigation in FPS games, but also as buttons. The C-stick can't really be used effectively as extra buttons, it's good for some quick selection, like the visors in Metroid. I guess it's better when it's used for actual camera control, but personnaly I don't care much about more camera control, I never had many issues with that in N64 games.

This is all in relation to 3D games by the way.. When it comes to 2D games, I like the NES and GBA Micro Dpads the best. The NES controller may not be the most ergonomical controller, I really like the response..

Anyway, the Wiimote is on its way, and I'm looking forward to it! And on a final sidenote, I'm also very curious how the retro controller compares to the Cube controller, but I have a feeling I'll like it.

The n64 control stick was too loose and hurt my thumb after continuous use.

The cube controller is perfect IMO, smaller, tighter, more comfortable and conpacted those 4 ugly yellow c buttons into a sexy small c stick.

N64 Pad - Brilliant usage when brand new, good dpad aswell as analogue stick. Only downside was the wearing out of the analogue stick. Nicely placed trigger aswell.

GCN Pad - Good usage overall, but the dpad was a bit small which is okay for Resident Evil games but bordering on the 'shite' side for beat 'em ups. Holding this pad felt more comfortable than the N64 pad.

Overall: N64 pad: 8/10, GCN pad: 8.1/10

But I still prefer using the N64 pad which is weird since I graded the GCN one higher, but we live in a weird world with weird logic so I don't really give a shit.

I love it, thought it was weird at first but it felt so right! I've heard this thing about the analogue sticks wearing down quite a bit recently, although I've never experienced it in my controllers myself, nor have people I've asked. It sets standards too, which Nintendo seems to be good for doing.

The N64 pad is stilll to this day the best pad ever made. very comfortable with all the buttons in easily accessible places. You always felt you were in control

I think it was a total success, paved the way for what we see now. I also think if I had to choose any one Nintendo system to play for the rest of my life, it would probably be the N64

I thought the N64 controller was great too. The analogue stick (and Nintendo thumb) were the only downsides of it and that was only because it was the first analogue stick like that. Going back to the controller it doesn't feel as good as it used to. The triggers were great.

I think the controller was a great one. Only thing i didn't really like was the type of analogue stick they went for. The design and button placement was great. Perfect for FPS games, which is why Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were that extra bit awesome.

Playing shooters on the Gamecube just wasn't the same.

Great controller, but the "tripod" design was confusing at first. Also, the control stick should've been a bit more durable. The GC controller is better in my opinion.

I thought the N64 pad was absolutely brilliant.. but after playing so much, the analogue sticks make it quite difficult to play games now.. but when it was in my hands playing Goldeneye way back in 1999 the controller was immense..

Looking back on it, it doesn't stand the test of time. But then, that's mainly down to the analogue stick. Had they gone for a different analogue stick type, and maybe a different d-pad texture, it would be eternal. :)

Nevertheless, i love it. It's one of my favourite pads.

The n64 controller is still the best controller i feel for FPS, that is maybe until i'm swinging a wiimote around.

I mean the original ps controller was horrible for it, ps2 and gamecubes analouge sticks are way to sensitive and fiddly for FPS to the point your running around with auto aim constantly.

At the time aswell it was the best controller for 3d adventure games which seemed to be the fashion for late 90s games. Super mario, zelda, banjo-kazooie etc. wouldn't have been as succesful as they were if it wasn't for the analogue stick which in itself makes the controller quite revolutionary.

The d pad was pretty pointless though. I can imagine if that segment of the controller was hacked off it might actually have looked quite funky because to be honest aesthetically it is the hunchback of retro gaming controllers.

I think the controller was a great one. Only thing i didn't really like was the type of analogue stick they went for. The design and button placement was great. Perfect for FPS games, which is why Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were that extra bit awesome.

Playing shooters on the Gamecube just wasn't the same.

Agreed, but neither of mine work anymore :( the analogue sticks just ended up clogged up with dust, plastic wear, sweat and dead skin as the 'ball' att he joint was too small. But there has never been such a good FPS controller.

Basically the best games that were released for the Nintendo 64 were platformers and fps. The pad is ideal for these kinds of games. When you have a pad with a great design such as the N64 one and a game made just to suit the pad then you are onto a massive winner. Can the same be said for any Xobx or Playstation pads/games?

It had lots of great games, so to me, yes it was a success. Not to mention it revolutionized the industry.

It was awesome, i personally think they got the idea for the Z button on the Wii Controller from this. But it's my favourite controller on any console, 1 behind the Wiimote (i hope)

The gamecube controller feels more comfortable but the N64 controller was just brilliant. I mean it looked like a space ship! The z-trigger was great, full on left handed too! The D-pad kicks the teeny tiny ass of the gamecube's d-pad by a fair margin too.

I'm on my third controller due to the anologue sticks wearing down, but in all fairness, no body had attempted it before, nintendo were slightly in the dark.

It changed gaming in terms of analogue-ness, every home console since has utilised/stolen the idea. Encouraging new game ideas and changing old ones, somewhat similar to what the Wii remote will likely do too...

I can't fault the n64 controller.

Sign in to follow this