NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Stocka

Plasma v LCD [HD]

From what i've witnessed Plasma HDTVs are the most impressive, but then I also hear so much good stuff about LCDs, Samsung in particular. Could you guys please help explain to me which is ...well generally better, and why etc.

And bear in mind i'm thinking of HDTVs around 40"

Go with LCD mate, they are fading plasmas out now, LCD is better because they dont get as hot, last longer and also dont "screen burn" as easy.

Go with LCD mate, they are fading plasmas out now, LCD is better because they dont get as hot, last longer and also dont "screen burn" as easy.

What he said... and we can both vouch for LCD's cos we both have one... Samsung's!

The problem is with Standard Definition though...LCD and Plasma have a habit of showing every fault, less-so with LCD. Depends on the size of the screen and distance really

*is buying a Samsung LCD this weekend...probably gonna go 32", maybe 37"*

I'd go with Plasma for the simple fact they tend to give you a much better picture. This will especially be the case with SD content, LCD screens bring any imperfections out much more so that a plasma will.

I look forward to the day I can relegate my LCD to a bedroom TV and get a decent plasma in the lounge.

Not at all, I've never seen an LCD come close to a Plasma for SD quality.

Yea but whats the point in buying a HD-TV if your gonna be chossy over what looks better in SD-TV?

Well as the vast majority of content is still SD I'd say its a valid thing to consider. If we're basing a desicion purely on HD quality then plasma still comes out on top anyway.

This actually changes me thought patterns regarding the TV

Damn you will :p

Well you'll thank me in the long run. I still stand by my reccomendation in your original thread. The latest Panasonic plasmas are within your price bracket and for the money you just won't get better.

Dixons Link

Even with the lovely looking stand its not too expensive, I paid more for my 32" Pansonic LCD less than a year ago godamnit.

Here Stocka, get a LCD it really is the best choice, even if plasma is slightly better there fading them out anyways so its stupid buying one.

Here Stocka, get a LCD it really is the best choice, even if plasma is slightly better there fading them out anyways so its stupid buying one.

What on earth kind of argument is this? If plasmas were being faded out why would it make any difference whatsoever to a buying desicion right now? Its not as if once shops don't sell plasmas all other plasmas stop working. I don't really understand where you've got the notion that plasmas are being faded out anyway, as far as I can see they're still a big part of TV development.

IMO both are very close, but Plasma wins on value for money.

Lets compare the 2 top of the range models, the Panasonic TH-42PX60 Plasma and the Philips 42PF9831 LCD (they seem to be the 2 highest scoring in reviews). I would put them both about equal in terms of picture quality, the Panasonic has been prased for the sharpness of the picture and the way it pulls off dark colours, the Philips for its ambient lighting technology. The major difference is price, the Panasonic is £800-£1000 cheaper.

Sign in to follow this