NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
CompSci

Rev = the next gen platfrom for FPS's?

Well... FPS will probably be awsome on "rev" but that dosent meen developers will publish most of the great FPS for it :/

Hope ninty really get some good 3rd party support, and cross platform games take advantage of the controller. If they do and they get some good publicity by the media saying the best is revolution, hopefully more people will give the rev a chance.

But do we need new FPS's to prove the value of the new controller, when there will be so much more to get out of the existing 'cube ones, running on the "Revolution". Coming from a PC gaming background I still find the controller a pain for Timesplitters et al., but I think it would be like playing new games running them with the new controller.

And of course the same should be true for Waverace/Rogue Squadron/Pilotwings...

And once the developer's see how much fun we are having with the "old" games, the opportunity will be obvious and they will follow.

Cheers

Mike

I still think the new controller would be pretty bad for FPS's or would atleast take some serious getting used to...

I still think the new controller would be pretty bad for FPS's or would atleast take some serious getting used to...

Seriously, what is it that you don't get? It's perfect. It's like actually holding a gun. What's better than that?

IGN got to play a modded version of Metroid Prime 2 using the Rev controller, and said it was brilliant. They removed the lock on feature, as the new controller is so precise that it isn't necessary. I need to find a link, it's on IGN somewhere. Can anyone else post it? Anyway, my imagining is that it could also add the aspect of different control methods for each weapon. For example, you could cock it backward to reload when you're controlling a shotgun.

'Anyway, my imagining is that it could also add the aspect of different control methods for each weapon. For example, you could cock it backward to reload when you're controlling a shotgun.'

Isn't pointing and shooting enough? I think stuff like that could complicate things, as this controller is made for non-gamers as well, so having so many different methods for different weapons, when people might not even know about them would make the whole thing more complex imo.

The controller is perfect for nearly every situation I can think of. It feels like it has broken boundaries, like control has burst out of the old controllers. The old controllers will never feel as good again.

1st person shooters are going to be awesome on Revolution. I always dreamt of a lightgun type controller that allows you to control where you look too. This is it. This is perfect.

You are confusing two different types of games here. First, the light gun type games, where you point at the screen and shoot with the controller (as stated it will probably need an addon the shape of a gun). The other are the proper FPS games where the controller will be used for the look/aim function (with the pointer of the gun ALWAYS centered). This is one of the few cases that the "return to neutral position" the stick provides is not required.

However we are talking about moving the entire thing on nothing but air. This automatically makes it hard for people without a steady hand to play games like CounterStrike, where precision is VITAL to the gameplay. Console FPS like HALO usually make it easier to hit the target compared to their PC counterparts, a bit like cheating if you want. However i don't think this will change with this new way of control. The brilliance of the mouse is that it is fixed in one dimention moving to 2, which is PERFECT for the 2 dimentions needed for FPS games. Having something moving in 3 directions will only make it much harder to play if all 3 dimentions are used (ex moving is incorporated as well) and it will require an insane amount of steadiness from the player. If only 2 of them are used, the hand will get tired by holding it for too long (half of the hand needs to be moving, the wrist is not enough for the up/down look).

Lots of questions to be answered and what needs to be found is exactly how precise this thing is and for how long can a player be that precise.

CommanderSP

I hope so, it's perfect for it, developers just need to be smart and develop for Rev. Same goes for DS

I gotta agree with what CommanderSP has to say, on the most part. I do however still believe it will be infinitely better than using a bog standard controller which is what the other consoles will be using, thus (hopefully) leading to loads of great FPS's!

Haven't we had this conversation before? About twice I might recall. Well despite that I'll still comment. Yes I believe this can become the platform to play your FPS on. What I would love is to take my Rev. plus a couple of controllers over to a mate's house. Probably a mate who's got an Xbox 360 and Halo 3. So we play that for a bit, then I whip out my Rev. with whatever cool FPS it has (hopefully Halo beater) and then say "hey try this on for size." I could totally screw up the opinions of a Halo fanboy. That would be hilarious! What I think is great about the new controller, is it not only makes playing FPS new and different, but it makes playing every FPS new and different from another. There are so many different ways you could play this kind of game with this controller. I don't want the first Revolution FPS to set the standard way to play like Turok did on the N64. I'd rather that each developer try their own method. This is going to keep gameplay more enjoyable. One thing I mentioned on another thread is perhaps include the ability to decide how to play the game for yourself.

Nintendo are the most experienced company in the industry. They have the perfect configuration for FPS gaming (among others). I can't see why they don't sit down, put their heads together and create the most ultimate shooter with gorgeous graphics, they have the genius to do it without a doubt. A killer FPS at launch would instantly sell the machine!

I can see the Revolution improving all genres, but 1st person shooters will undoubtedly improve ten fold. Looking at this it already makes the existing controller seem limited.

Rather than pressing and pointing with buttons and an analogue stick, now you just move your hand like real life.

I think the reason why 1st person games (forget shooters, how about a medieval game with sword fights, bows and arrows and axes, even holding the reigns of a horse) will be the most successful is the first thought that comes to mind is virtual reality with this console. With a 1st person view and your actions translating to onscreen movement the immersion into the game environment is the most exciting.

I'm sue that Rev will be awesome for FPS and Metroid style games.

I wonder what Zoonami are working on?

The controller may be precise, but that doesn't mean it has to be over sensitive. In order to combat shaky hands, they could lower the sensitivity of the movememnt, requiring a slightly large movement to move the aim. The movement would not be tiny, like with a mouse, can could be extremely accurate without being sporadic.

What I would love is to take my Rev. plus a couple of controllers over to a mate's house. Probably a mate who's got an Xbox 360 and Halo 3. So we play that for a bit, then I whip out my Rev. with whatever cool FPS it has (hopefully Halo beater) and then say "hey try this on for size." I could totally screw up the opinions of a Halo fanboy. That would be hilarious!

But what if Halo 3 is absolutely fantastic with awesome Xbox Live support and the Rev controller ends up as nothing but a gimmick?

Would the opinions of a Nintendo fanboy be screwed up?

I think...

Rev = the (true) next gen platform. FULL STOP!!

Xbox360/PS3 = this gen and a half

But yeah, FPS have the potential to be truely amazing

IMO Nintendo must have made the controller with the FPS in mind, because the controller is perfect for playing an FPS.

Well, we won't actually know how it'll work with FPS's until we get our hands on it. The potential is there, but we don't know if it will be recognised or not.

Thinking about it tho, nothing beats an arcade shooter. They have always been more fun for me than a console shooter (with the exception of goldeneye and PD). I wanna see what this controller can do first before i finally judge it tho. :)

Sign in to follow this