NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Serebii

Hi Def. TVs - 37 or higher? Which to get? Help Me

Hey all

I'm going to be buyin a new tv before December 8th (wonder why) since my current one takes about an hour to turn on whenever i need it on. I figured i may as well go for an HD one (plus you can't really find non-HD ones nowadays)

However i'm getting pretty stumped inl oooking up models so from your experience...what make/model should I get

I'm looking for at least 37", preferably 40 or 42 with Excellent Standard Definition quality as I don't have much HD stuff yet and 480p compatibility among the rest (for the Wii) and preferably LCD

Can you lot suggest ones that you have which look good in Standard Def for DVDs and yer Gamecube?

Cheers

Just wondering, how come you would perfer LCD to Plasma?

I'm not exactly a guru when it comes to television talk but as I intend to get an HD TV sometime, from what i've witnessed plasmas seem superior. The most impressive HD TY I have seen running is a Pioneer 42" HD Plasma, and is what I intend to buy if I win £2000 for coming top in one month in a fantasy football :heh:

Well i forgot to say I dont wanna spend over £1,500

But in my experience and research, Plasmas have less of a lifespan than LCDs and they're more of a power pig.

Plus there'#s this whole burning into the screen issue

For the price your looking to pay and what you want I'd say you couldn't do much better than the latest range of Panasonic Plasmas. They're a couple of hundred under your budget, look good, excellent in both SD and HD and pretty much top of the range.

Lifespan/image burn really isn't as much of an issue as people make out, I'd absolutely go for a plasma if I were you.

Maybe, but I dunno about Plasma, they're still powersuckers :/

Anyone know iof the Sharp Aquos ones are any good?

I have to say the power thing is one thing I've never really looked at. Is it really such a big difference as to make it something you'd base a decision on?

Oh I totally agree, when you can afford a £1500 TV I'd have thought its not such a massive problem though.

Off Topic, are you at bournemouth uni or is that your home? Just noticed its set as your location.

Really?

I saw a cool LG one in Currys.digital the other day, although its Standard Def. output left something to be desired

Any particular models?

Regarding power consumption:

POWER CONSUMPTION

Because LCDs use florescent backlighting to produce images, they require substantially less power to operate than plasmas do. LCD TVs consume about half the power that plasma displays consume. The reason: Plasmas use a lot of electricity to light each and every pixel you see on a screen - even the dark ones. Though plasma manufacturers have improved voltage consumption requirements a plasma TV will consume around a third more power for the same size display.

http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/

Samsung or Pansonic LCD's.

Nothing else, trust me.

:shock: How can you leave Sharp out? They're the industry leaders when it comes to LCD!

Well I was thinking of a Sharp Aquos but the shops didnt have a big enough on :s

Ok, I apologise for Double Posting

Are the LE40R73BD Samsung Models any good?

Saw one in the shop today and it looked pretty ace and saw some SD trailers running through component and it looks fairly good

Checked and it only does up to 720p but thats all I really need atm for my Wii and then my 360 next year

Sign in to follow this