NEurope
Zombie_Fan

I don’t need 5.1 in the Wii. What about you?

(Please excuse my bad grammar)

At first when I heard that there would be no 5.1 for the Wii, I was a little upset. I quickly got over the issue because I think Pro Logic 2 is a good substitute (Resident Evil 4 sounds great in Pro Logic 2). It seems to me that some people are forgetting about the speaker in the Wiimote. I look at the Wiimote speaker as an extension of surround sound. For people that don’t own a surround sound system, they will get a taste of surround sound with the Wiimote speaker. You will be able to hear Link’s sword cut through the air, you will hear your gun click when it’s empty in Red Steel, as if you where really swinging a sword and using a gun. Hopefully other developers will use the speaker function. Even though 5.1 is great to have in a game console. I don’t think the lack of 5.1 will really hurt the sales of the Wii. Then again I might be wrong.

Do you guys think the Wiimote speaker, and Pro Logic 2 can be a good substitute for 5.1? I think it is.

i dont need anything the wii hasnt got. However, if the wii has it, I definately need it 100% !

5.1 or any surround for that matter doesn't enhance the gameplay the slightest bit for me. I mean, if you really need good sound then use headphones. It will give you better 'surround' than the real surround crap if you ask me.

I have a 6.1 surround sound speaker set and a Audigy sound card on my PC. To get the best experience out of games I use headphones. Even with stereo set in the games I am able to pinpoint the enemys location in most games as opposed to my surround speakers.

The only thing I like my surround speakers for is watching movies.

I can't afford a (good-ish) surround sound kit, so I'm just using my TV's speakers which I'm perfectly happy with right now.

I'm stuck with HiFi speakers, and a rubbish TV card that can't even do 60Hz.

Nobody needs it, but the support of Pro Logic II over optical out is juvenile.

When you compare a HD TV to a surround sound system.. the latter is extremely accesible.

Bang for your buck surround sound offers a superb immersive experience on the cheap.. and wouldn't be an unreasonable expectation of an average consumer.

HD TV however is expensive and not much of an improvement.. so fair play to Nintendo for not supporting it.

I can't say I need surround sound, but when you look at how much space it takes on a disc.. the development costs.

It would have been nice.

Pro Logic 2 will be ancient. It probably will work well, but in.. lets say 2-3 years, when the REALLY new generation games comes for , lets say PS3, DPL2 will be tame in comparison..

I got a "45 widescreen and 5.1 dts sound system, of course I'd like my Wii to use that, cause Wii is the only 'next-gen' console I'll get..

This is a real bummer by Nintendo. First no HD, I can understand this, But on the even next generation, it'll be standard, but when Nintendo skips on the sound too.. damn.. Really, when you think about it: Worse picture quality, tamer sound quality AND much much weaker graphics (but I don't really care about this, just brought it up for some critisism).

I'll still buy Wii on the launch and I'll probably love it. But Nintendo thinks they know too much about the general people, which they obviously dont. "The gamers don't want this, the gamers dont want that" - Well, face it Nintendo, dont be so fucking cheap.

It's sad that Nintendo have chosen to leave out both HD and 5.1, we can all say oh well, we don't NEED them. But they both enhance the playing experience and are thus better to have than not to have!

To be honest I couldn't care less about HD and Dolby. HD doesn't really enhance your experience, it makes it look slightly better. Anyone here think Zelda on the GC sounded fantastic? Then you'll enjoy it without all the new-fangled functions.

my 5.1 system is broke so i don't need it for my Wii :heh:

I'd certainly like 5.1 if I had a suitable set of speakers. I don't even have a decent set of spekaers to make the most of Dolby 2. Probably not likely to have one until Wii 2! I do think that quality sound can actually make a bigger improvment then higher quality graphics. Though the type of market the Wii looks set to appeal to probably aren't that bothered.

I couldn't care less for 5.1 sound. The only moment I actually noticed it was on during film, was when th dolby logo appeared and tested your speakers. But the general publich likes to look at the specs. When they're next to each other, the Wii's list is far shorter and will look less powerfull (wich, it is). Sadly enough, when I look at specs, I want the most if I buy a computer (well, if I buy my mac). HD and Dolby 5.1 would have being to lines closer to the PS3 and XBOX360's specs, just for the sake of having those two little letters...

Well tbh, its obvious that about 5 years down the line, Nintendo will release the sequel to the Wii (Wii 2 or Wii HD) that will give it HD and improve from 5.1. I just think that atm, it's not really important to include them.

I dont have surround sound and have never used anything that the TV's bog-standard speakers and I dont feel like I'm missing out on a thing. If its brought down the price by not using it then thats absolutely fine by me.

...well I like to hear the bullets in MGS (GCN) behind me. Pro Logic is enough. I hope it has Pro Logic IIx.

And Pro Logic can do real 5 channels surround.

I dont have surround sound and have never used anything that the TV's bog-standard speakers and I dont feel like I'm missing out on a thing. If its brought down the price by not using it then thats absolutely fine by me.

Same here...I still seem to get a slight 'surroundy' effect to a certain degree from the left n right so...

I have a kick ass 5.1 system and love to use it when watching movies. However I CANNOT stand having it on (its fairly powerful) when watching regular TV, even though my sky+ box has optical out. The same applies when im gaming, if the 5.1 is on, it'll give me a headache. I will not miss the omission of 5.1 output from wii.

I don't really care about surround sound, I've always just used the TV speakers, and when I did once use surround sound, it made me feel kind of disorientated and confused.

I've never used surround sound. I dont see the point, i feel immersed enough enjoying playing that game, not listening to it.

erm wii does have 5.1 it allso has 7.1

pro logic 2 true pro logic 2 i.e a signal mixed in pro logic to supports 5.1 it clearly shows that in dolby.coms pro logic 2 diagram

wii allso supports pro logic 2x witch is a advanced pro logic 2 supporting both 6.1 and 7.1 surround sound clearly demonstrated on dolby.com

pro logic 2/pro logic 2x 643d sound channels via a custom dsp sound processor

xbox 360 dolby digital 5.1 64 3d sound channels via the cpu no sound processor its a waste of cpu power and allso heavily compressed WMA sound witch is tiny

wii does support 5.1

gamecube allso supported 5.1/7.1 all pro logic 2 gamecube games supported 5.1

rogue sqodren 3 supported 7.1 pro logic 2x

PLEASE GET YOUR RESEACH DONE ON SOUND FORMATS AND SOUND HARDWARE WII MATCHES PS3/360 IN SOUND CHANNELS ALL 3 SUPPORT 643D SOUND CHANNELS

WII DOES IT ON A SOUND PROCESSOR

PS3/360 DO IT ON THE CPU

YET ANOTHER REASON YOU CARNT DIRECTLY COMPARE CPUS

WERE ON GODS GREEN EARTH DID YOU PEOPLE GET THE IDEA WII DIDNT DO REALTIME SURROUND SOUND AS WELL AS DVD QOALITY RECORDED SOUND ALL PROCESSED THROUGH A CUSTOM DIGITAL SOUND PROCESSOR JUST LIKE GAMECUBE DID :p

Nintendo's done a bad job on sound IMO. I mean, Cube sound was decent but it wasn't that hard to make 5.1 sound at least an option for developers. Dolby 5.1 beats the Pro Logic II experience any day. Despite all power and development efficiency arguments, I think Nintendo were cheap not to add it.