NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
mcj metroid

scariest games!

As a kid or even present day.Don't be ashamed to admit if there is any game out there that make you absolutely shit your brains out.

As a kid:resident evil 2

present day: project zero.....well sometimes unintensionally hilarious.I think one comment was'hmm i found a key,i wonder if it will open a door'

by the way try keep it serious before we get GENJI 2 because of GIANT ENEMY CRABS!

Yeah alright why not. Project Zero definitely deserves a mention, as does R.E.make and RE4, which were terryfying at points (the village the first time through, or the initial Hunter encounter). But the scariest games i've played are the Metroid Prime games, just because they are so emmersive and atmospheric, you're more 'in character' than in any other game, and thus when those cloaked space pirates are circling around samus, your visor steamed up, its very hard to distance yourself from the action.

I'd have to say REmake...and as a close second...Forbidden Siren...that game gave me nightmares...man, why are games so much more scary than movies...??

games will be more scary than films eventually.Think of it like....You ARE the character.But i havent played much good console ones besides project zero.Resident evil 4 is one of the best games ever but was not frightening one bit

the greatest scare I have ever gotten out of a game was in Resident evil II.

There was a corridor which you had to rund through a few times.. at one point you were used to running down that corridor and didnt expect anything and suddeltly arms shot in through the boarded up windows and grabbed you..i think i aged 5 years in that instant

silent hill number 1?hmm don't know about that.Honstly resi evil remake wasnt that frightening.

I reckon Eternal Darkness way scarey...The bit of the bath is the obvious bit :heh:

Majora's Mask had a perfect amount of creepyness surrounding it too :)

Resi 1-3, Eternal Darkness and FEAR are all brilliantly pant-wetting stuff.

Resident Evil REmake, awesome, there was one bit when a Zombie popped through a window in a corridor I thougth I'd cleared, I was only back traking too, totally didn't expect it, made me jump! Plus at the time, this was probably the nicest lookimng game I'd ever seen, it was amazing and had loads of extra bits the original lacked. It was totally superb, defo one of my favorite Gamecube games.

I am quite easily scared to be frank. Resi 1 on the ps1 still freaks me out. But scary games and horror movies are still awesome.

Gamespy : The Scariest Moments in Gaming

11. DOOM's Pinky Demon Surprise (id software, PC)

Witnessed by: Li C. Kuo

Sure, nowadays the graphics in the original Doom don't look especially terrifying (unless you have an unreasonable fear of pixels), but back then the immersion factor of id's first-person shooter was unmatched. You really felt like you were a stranded, lone marine fighting for his life, and when you were in those narrow corridors and the lights went out you just knew that something wicked was coming your way.

First you'd hear the distant growling and grunting, and then it'd get closer, and then you'd turn around to find a pinky demon gnawing your face off. Marines are made of stern stuff, but more than a few gamers jumped when one of these large fleshy baddies snuck up on you to take a bite out of your soft and tasty flesh.

10. Footsteps in Alone in the Dark (Infogrames, PC)

Another oldie, Alone in the Dark from Infogrames is considered to be the first true 3D survival-horror game. As the original Edward Carnby or Emily Hartwood you'll find yourself trapped in the haunted house complete with monsters, ghosts, spirits, zombies, and other monstrosities.

The soundtrack and sound effects added a lot to the simplistic polygonal graphics in this creepy game. Eerie music, quick bursts from an off-tone violin, and creaking floorboards made for some early psychological terror. At many points in the game you'd be walking down a creaky hall and be convinced that you hear a second step of footsteps. You'd stop and listen and hear nothing. Was it all in your head? Is the game getting to you? It definitely got to me.

9. Fleeing Your Hotel Room in Call of Cthulu The Dark Corners of the Earth (Dreamcatcher, PC)

Witnessed by: Allen "Delsyn" Rausch

The horror of H.P. Lovecraft's stories isn't really about monsters or blood or violence (although all these things make their appearances in his stories). At its core, Lovecraftian horror is all about helplessness. It's the knowledge that under the surface "normality" of the world is a reality more hideous than the human brain can imagine that humans would be helpless against should it deign to notice them.

Call of Cthulu: The Dark Corners of the Earth, a videogame amalgamation of two of Lovecraft's best stories, brilliantly captures this feeling in one iconic sequence. It takes place when main character Jack Walters is forced to spend the night in the hotel in Innsmouth. After a few hours of restless slumber, Walters's awakened by a telepathic warning that the residents of Innsmouth are about to storm into his hotel room to do very bad things to him with a variety of sharp objects.

The sequence that follows is insane as the player regains control of Walters and is forced to flee for his life from the outraged townsfolk. Since Walters doesn't have any weapons, the player has to run through a series of rooms and keep locking the doors behind him in order to gain a few precious seconds on his pursuers. Pushing a chest of drawers out of the way ever-so-slowly in order to unblock a door and praying you have enough time even as you hear the door behind you being chopped down by an ax is one of the pinnacle moments of videogame induced fear.

8. Zombie Dobermans in Resident Evil (Capcom, PS)

This may be one of the cheaper scares on our list, but that doesn't make it any less effective. It's a classic scene, you've just begun your exploration of the mansion in the first Resident Evil and as you walk down a narrow hallway you pass a window. Just as you do a zombified Doberman leaps through the glass with the full intention of chewing on your tasty flesh.

This moment scared its share of unprepared gamers, and more than a few of us fell victim to these vicious four-legged zombies. Since then variations of this surprise were recreated in the sequels, one of the most memorable of which was the licker which smashes through a one-way mirror in an interrogation room. Still, the original was the most shocking because it was unexpected. Expect gamers to continue talking about this classic scare for many years to come.

7. Entering Janice Polito's Office in System Shock 2 (EA, PC)

There are plenty of terrifying moments in System Shock 2 (every time the ship's alarm goes off and summons zombies from all over the level is a good one) but even so, this moment in the game stands out. System Shock 2 begins with the player waking up from cryogenic slumber aboard a starship where something has gone horribly wrong. Most of the crew is dead, those who aren't have been… changed and hideous aliens who call themselves The Many are invading the ship.

The only survivors seem to the player and one other crew member, Dr. Janice Polito, who communicates with the player from her office where she's been trapped by the aliens. After a couple of hours, however, the player may start to realize that something's wrong. Dr. Polito isn't acting like someone who's desperate to be rescued. She's showing flashes of irrational rage and she's awfully nasty to the person who she's supposed to be working with. It's isn't until the player finally reaches Dr. Polito's office that the reason for this becomes clear. Dr. Polito's dead. She has been since the game started. The...thing…that's been masquerading as her greets the player with a laugh and reveals some terrifying truths about who she is, who The Many are and what's really been going on. That's the moment when, as bad as things looked before they got to Dr. Polito's office, the reality is infinitely worse.

6. Playing as Ashley in Resident Evil 4 (Capcom, GameCube/PS2)

Yes, zombie infestations can be scary, but if you're walking around with a 12 gauge shotgun, a 9mm pistol, and a knife big enough to make Crocodile Dundee feel a touch of envy, your fear factor is going to be a bit lower. This is why I've always liked the Resident Evil series, with my favorite being Resident Evil 4. While the game was moody, it never really scared me, thanks to my trusty boomstick and the basic principle of metal meeting propulsion.

However, this all changes when you find yourself playing the young, petite, and completely defenseless Ashley later in the game. You must safely guide Ashley through dark corridors past creepy monks and avoid walking suits of armor determined to cut her into bite-sized pieces. It was definitely a relief when I made it through this section and got to return to playing as the very heavily-armed Leon.

5. The Haunted School in Silent Hill (Konami, PS)

Witnessed by: Gerald Villoria

I've played every Resident Evil game since Resident Evil 2, and have yet to be frightened as much as during my original experience with Silent Hill. If Resident Evil is the Night of the Living Dead of video games, then Silent Hill is our Jacob's Ladder. The moment that defines the original game for many people is the first visit to Midwich Elementary, and the encounter with the shadowy children of that cursed school.

While there were plenty of things that could kill you in the game, nothing was as frightening as these squeaking, crying little horrors, even if they were completely harmless. While 'scary children' are being overused in films these days, Silent Hill captured the frightening imagery perfectly, and it's still hard to get their creepy little voices out of our heads.

4 The Bathtub Scene in Eternal Darkness (Nintendo, GameCube)

This is the only moment that ever caused me to stop playing a game and just go to bed. I remember it vividly. I was in my apartment in West LA and had decided to dedicate the night to playing through as much of Eternal Darkness as possible. Eventually I ended up in an upstairs bathroom. I figured this was a relatively safe area. The bathroom was nice and clean and completely unlike the ones in Resident Evil. The bathtub was empty and there was no sign anything horrendous could possibly happen here. Just out of curiosity I decided to walk up to the bathtub to see if I could interact with it. The second I did an image of Alex, the main character, dead in a bathtub filled with blood. To really hammer home the impact of this shocking visual was a woman's scream which pierced the silence.

I remember jumping in my seat, and then just standing up. I gazed at the screen for a while, then walked over to the GameCube, turned it off, turned off my TV, turned out the lights, and crawled into bed. It was only 10PM but I decided to just wrap myself in my blankets and go to sleep.

3. The Ocean House Hotel in Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines (Activision, PC)

In a game about vampires, it's ironic that the scariest moments in the game involve ghosts. The Ocean House Hotel is a piece of property owned by one of the vampires of Santa Monica. Unfortunately, it's also being haunted by the spirit of a murdered woman and her two children along with the ghost of her husband -- he's the nutbar who killed them and then set the hotel on fire. The player's job is to put the spirits to rest so that the vampire's construction crew will return and finish tearing the place down.

The Ocean House is filled with every haunted house cliché you can imagine. Lights flicker on and off as you approach them. A chandelier nearly drops on you as you walk in the front door, "Get Out!" written in blood suddenly appears on a wall, a screaming woman in a nightdress runs down the hall, and when you turn the corner, there's nobody there! About the time you're halfway through the level a female voice suddenly whispers in your ear, "He's coming." You'll be ready to just shut off the computer and huddle in the corner clutching a crucifix.

2. Meeting Alma in F.E.A.R. (Vivendi Games, PC)

Few games have unnerved me as much as last year's hit first-person shooter, F.E.A.R., thanks to a creepy little girl named Alma and her uncanny ability to show up at all the wrong times. While it's true that the image of the little dead girl with dark hair is getting old, F.E.A.R. was one of the first games to capture the unease of films like The Ring and incorporate it into an action game.

There were many times when you'd round a corner or turn around to find the Alma look at you with her dead eyes. These moments were combined with the screeching audio cues and eerie music to create a genuine feeling of dread and fear. If I had to pick any one moment to stand out from all the others, it would be the scene where you run into Alma while running crawling through some air ducts. You creep over a declining portion of the ducts just in time to see Alma crab-walk sideways straight towards you. I didn't sleep well that night.

1. Being Chased in Fatal Frame 2 (Konami, PS2)

Witnessed by: Justin Speer

The initial hours you spend with your first Fatal Frame title are likely to be the most terrifying game experience of your life. For me the game was Fatal Frame II. I managed to deal with the horror of the woman in a box, the repulsiveness of woman with a broken neck, and the terror of the badly mutilated limbo woman, but when I reached the Kurosawa Great Hall I believe my eyes were actually watering when the screen got all scratchy and grainy, corpses suddenly covered the floor.

I heard the sinister sound of little girl laughter. Suddenly this absolutely wrong looking massive thing with this hideously terrifying no-face let out this unholy-sounding, distorted scream and proceeded to chase my poor girl down, phasing through walls as I stumbled from one camera angle to the other looking for the freaking door. After thirty seconds or so the ungodly thing finally caught up with me and murdered my poor Mio with a single touch. I was playing an early beta version of the game for a magazine preview and I swear to Christ that this was different (meaning way freaking scarier) from the same scene in the final release. It's true I tell you!

When I was a wee one, Ocarina of Time was pretty f'ing scary, especially the Dodongo Cavern >.<

Now, it would have to be Resi 4. It wasn't scary in the same way as OOT when I was younger, it wasn't shock horror or the music, it was the sheer panic of it. For example, in the beggining, when you're in the village, and you're being chased by the zombies, you enter a house, and you push a bookcase on the door, but suddenly, the zombies smash open the windows. You kill the zombies and cover the windows with some more bookcases. Before you know it, they're grabbing ladders and entering via the top floor, you push the ladder down, cover the other windows, and then you realise theres no escape...

See what I mean?

The original doom on the Snes, for reasons mainly given in that posted YouTube video for Alien vs. predator.. Turn a corner low health, theres one of THESE running straight at you. And it was sitting waiting, silent.

doom%5B1%5D1.jpg

As a kid, play that Thomas the Tank racing game alone scared me. I guess it was when the Fat Controller came up with the scary music waggling his finger, and when I noticed I was tangled up in wires and couldn't get out. Childhood trauma.

Hmm. An older one for me would be Obliterator on the ST and Amiga. Throw onto an alien-infested spaceship with only a weak pistol to start with, and every time you die, the game cuts to a screen with your frozen skeleton floating above the surface of the moon.

Oh, and definitely AVP 2 as the Marine: you go into the complex and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING happens for a very long time. The you turn the security system ON and all hell breaks loose. Pant wetting stuff.

I know Kurt R has already said Majoras Mask but,

Versing "They" in the ranch was really scary for me.

The whole mood and music was perfect. But then again, i really hate alien related things in general.

Nevertheless, a scary moment i'll always remember.

...And yes i'm a wuss compared to all you guys

Sign in to follow this