NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Cubez

Rev controller protected?

What I'm wondering is if the Revolution controller is protected with patents so that the competitors Sony and Microdik can't make some kind of clones with similar technology. Does anyone know?

I really hope so, hate for nintendo to put all the work in and sony to just copy it. microsoft wont, they are to generic and will just see this as gimmiky. Sony we just copy whoevers making the most money. And if they do copy I'm guessing they'll wait until they see if nintys gamble pays off with the general public.

I expect they are beavering away at their own versions at this very minute. If Revolution takes off, they'll have to copy to compete. Hopefully Nintendo will get this out sooner than expected to prevent them having a big run up to copy, and get games out at the same time as the Rev launch

Hmm they should have the most important technology of the Rev controller patented because if everybody just copies things then you could just as well wait and see what the other makes and then create a improved clone. That would be very unfair.

the patents will already have been filed if they have protected it, im sure that once you've revealed something to the public your not allowed to patent it. Im guesing they have, but its easy enought to get round a patent. Lets just hope sony and microsoft choose not to copy for at least a while.

Perrin Kaplin was asked by IGN last week about protecting the controller ideas and tech, she confirmed that Nintendo were going all out to do so, they just need to be both specific and generic enough in their applications to make it hard for competitors to copy.

Nintendo have probably got this surrounded in enough copyright protetcion to build a life-size paper mache' version of the Tiatanic, but I reckon Sony and Microsoft will find ways to copy some of it. As odd as it is, the Revolution controller has some undisputably brilliant ideas going for it. The pointing system is obviously great, and the port for additional pieces of controller hardware is quite exciting. Game developers could theoretically build their own control systems. I refuse to believe Nintendo's rivals aren't at least going to want to get a sniff of the action. Looks pretty damn sexy too, much better then Sony's early iteration of the PS3 controller. Blurgh. :woops:

I doubt they'd be able to come up with the INSANE ideas Nintendo will, although that may be fanboyism talking. I can't see the new Grand Theft Auto or Halo game using that control method, somehow.

I can't see either Microsoft or Sony copying to be honest.

This is Nintendo working its magic, no one else could pull it off as well

Sign in to follow this