NEurope
darthbane2k

Nintendo, Wasting Opportunities? Just what are they doing??

I have already discussed in a previous thread how I am unhappy with Nintendo for allowing the US and Japanese public to testdrive Wii, but not us Brits.Fortunately I played with wii over 6 hours at a press event, but members of the public have not been so fortunate. Playing really is believing, which is why Nintendo MUST let the public try Wii NOW.

So today I went to the GAME ON event in the science museum London.This is is exhibition about the history of video gaming, you can play hands on with consoles/games from past to present. Oh, and did I mention that this event was sponsored by NINTENDO??!!

Anyway, you walk your way though the end and reach a 'future of video gaming' section - what was there? Freaking guitar hero and rockstar table tennis. Not a mention of the wii at all, not a dummy wii behind a glass cabinet, not even a freaking video showing games and the wiimote. As I played my way through the various classic arcade machines and consoles, I must have heard aloud a dozen times from a dozen different people "wheres the Wii?", I eventually asked a member of staff why Wii wasnt there, their response? "we tried to ask Nintendo to display the Wii but they declined".

Wii is released DECEMBER 8th, just over a month away, yet most of the general public dont know what the hell it is, what to expect. They know all about Playstation 3 and Xbox360 though.

Just WHAT is Nintendo playing at?

Fortunately I'm able to test Wii on november the 4th :p But this is like my only chance of testing it before it's released. But it really sucks if you can't test the thing a month or two before the release.

They need to get play booths in ALL major stores... NOW! We're six weeks away from launch and I'm not sure if many members of the general public have even heard of Wii.

GAME in the White Rose Centre, Leeds is doing really well in promoting it. I think its because it will be their major Christmas seller. This guy that works there was behind the counter taking preorders, and spending about 5 minutes with each person demonstrating motions and saying that anyone can pick up and play, you swing to play tennis and use a sword in Zelda, link up the DS for demos and connectivity, and was going on and doing a fantastic job. That guy should work at Nintendo Europe, he's really helpful and is promoting the Wii more than Nintendo themselves.

GAME in the White Rose Centre, Leeds is doing really well in promoting it. I think its because it will be their major Christmas seller. This guy that works there was behind the counter taking preorders, and spending about 5 minutes with each person demonstrating motions and saying that anyone can pick up and play, you swing to play tennis and use a sword in Zelda, link up the DS for demos and connectivity, and was going on and doing a fantastic job. That guy should work at Nintendo Europe, he's really helpful and is promoting the Wii more than Nintendo themselves.

No, they'd just drag him down with them.

I would care what you're saying if it was less than 30 days before the system launches.

But it isn't.

The press has been giving it a decent amount of coverage, and the PS3 has been getting a bad press from the nationals and gaming magazines (except Official PlayStation magazine no doubt)

I wouldn't expect pods to turn up for another 2-3 weeks.. and I think that's entirely reasonable.

Quit whinging (how ironic I hear you cry ShadowV7 and co) because it's too early.. after Halloween for god's sake.

i really don't want to play the wii before it comes out in the UK, that would spoil it all for me, i want my first play of the wii to be right here in my bedroom.

i really don't want to play the wii before it comes out in the UK, that would spoil it all for me, i want my first play of the wii to be right here in my bedroom.

Its not a matter of 'spoiling' things, its a matter of promoting the product, getting the general public (who dont frequent gaming sites) interested in it, letting people sample it, showing them its potential, its capabilities. Nintendo simply cannot sit back idolly and assume that wii will sell itself without any promotion.

The event I mentioned was an IDEAL opportunity.It was sponsored by Nintendo themselves, and in the future of video gaming section - no wii.Not even a video showing the wiimote (like the ones on the website), according to the exhibition, the future of gaming didnt involve nintendo, only xbox360. Once again, did I mention that Nintendo SPONSORED the event??!!

Do Tesco advertise a product before it's in the supermarket?

Do they say by one get one free next week on Pepsi? Nah

Marketing early removes the hype.. you have to hit consumers in the rush.. the Christmas shopping lights aren't up yet.. they go up 2nd week of November where I live.

Christmas shopping hasn't started.. it will do after Halloween (a big holiday for people buying food and crap)

They aren't missing oppurtunities really.. your point that not many people know about it yet is valid.. they don't need to yet.

In 2 weeks when people start Christmas shopping properly, and hype starts in the press, on the TV and radio.

When the lights go up and adverts start rolling on TV, that's when to hit them with the console.

Do Tesco advertise a product before it's in the supermarket?

Do they say by one get one free next week on Pepsi? Nah

Marketing early removes the hype.. you have to hit consumers in the rush.. the Christmas shopping lights aren't up yet.. they go up 2nd week of November where I live.

Christmas shopping hasn't started.. it will do after Halloween (a big holiday for people buying food and crap)

They aren't missing oppurtunities really.. your point that not many people know about it yet is valid.. they don't need to yet.

In 2 weeks when people start Christmas shopping properly, and hype starts in the press, on the TV and radio.

When the lights go up and adverts start rolling on TV, that's when to hit them with the console.

I dont really understand your examples (eg tescos, etc). the Wii is a hardware product, it is technology - not a loaf of bread. If you want to convience the public to buy this over christmas, you must show them what exactly it is and what it does BEFORE the busy shopping period begins.

Like I said, many gamers at the Game On event were asking about Wii.

The organisers said they wanted wii there, yet Nintendo themselves declined.

There is an increasing buzz about PS3, simply because Sony has started the hype already.

Many people do not know what wii is, what it has to offer etc.. if nintendo dont start the hype until december 8th, that leaves them with only 17 days to convinence the general public to put wii on their christmas lists.

Now what nintendo are currently doing in japan (tv adverts, tours in tokyo), THATS what should be happening here.Remember wii doesnt even get released in japan until december too.

Nobody said that Nintendo would start promotions on December 8th.

But if people see Wii on TV now, they will go into the store asking for it and they can't get it.

If they see it on TV in 3 weeks, they will be able to go into the store, play a copy.. and place a pre-order based on that experience.

Also demos take time to make, compile and press.

Shopping used to be done a week before Christmas.. nowadays it slips into November. It's still October.. what's the point in getting it out before the busy period starts..? Only losers do their shopping in October/November.

I'm doing mine in December.

Tesco sells technology, I was merely using it as an example. To sum up, the idea that people want to play the Wii a month in advance is obvious from the point of internet geeks.

But average joe has a short attention span, shops late november early december. This is when adverts will roll, when shops will get displays and units.. and when the majority of pre-orders will be made.

Nobody said that Nintendo would start promotions on December 8th.

But if people see Wii on TV now, they will go into the store asking for it and they can't get it.

If they see it on TV in 3 weeks, they will be able to go into the store, play a copy.. and place a pre-order based on that experience.

Also demos take time to make, compile and press.

Shopping used to be done a week before Christmas.. nowadays it slips into November. It's still October.. what's the point in getting it out before the busy period starts..? Only losers do their shopping in October/November.

I'm doing mine in December.

Tesco sells technology, I was merely using it as an example. To sum up, the idea that people want to play the Wii a month in advance is obvious from the point of internet geeks.

But average joe has a short attention span, shops late november early december. This is when adverts will roll, when shops will get displays and units.. and when the majority of pre-orders will be made.

They could slightly modify the E3 demos.

It makes no difference to me, but it will make a major difference to the success of the console at Launch. If no one's heard of it, or are scared by the 'weird' controls because they haven't smapled them sales will be hurt. Nintendo needs to promote this and show people why it's the way forward...

I don't really get how demo kiosks will work anyway. Game stores are hardly the optimal place to try out such a unique piece of hardware. I think possibly letting someone create a Mii of themself and then letting them have a go at a Wii Sports game would work quite well and the Mii creation would definately get a laugh out of groups.

I've seen Wii flyers around, in Portuguese. I can scan one if you want.

Go on, i want to see.

I dont really understand your examples (eg tescos, etc). the Wii is a hardware product, it is technology - not a loaf of bread.

OK then, have you ever seen PC World advertise their latest laptop special offer before you can actually buy it?

I've seen Wii flyers around, in Portuguese. I can scan one if you want.

So did I. Infact, Blue_Ninja0 has one at home, he kisses it before sleeping.

Give it time. Nintendo has always been Europe's unrequited love. They dont place as much emphasis on this market, so it makes sense for them to start with the other 2.

OK then, have you ever seen PC World advertise their latest laptop special offer before you can actually buy it?

You're just being ignorant now.

The laptop market is saturated and forever changing. There are tons of different models and people tend to choose at the time they want to buy. Video games consoles are different, there are only three main companies in the market - you are damn niave if you dont think people are considering their christmas purchases now, especially kids planning what to ask their mummys and daddies to get them.

Nintendo NEED to let people know that wii exists and what it does, and I cannot understand why you would disagree with this.

Marketing is the key, otherwise we will have another Gamecube on our hands. Sony messed up by delaying the PS3 launch in Europe. Nintendo shoul exploit this.

If I hadnt already sampled wii, I would be damn frustrated by now

Darthbane, he isnt being ignorant, he's just stating an opinion. But Patch, the Wii isnt a special offer, the Wii is a console. Are you saying advertising shouldnt start until it has came out? That would be a very good marketing plan, you want it known and experienced before the launch day, it worked for DS, it will work for wii.

Saying that, Wii advertising will begin next month, well it should. As for demo units, most shops wont bother. Lack of space wont really be suited for games that require motion.

You're just being ignorant now.

Now now, let's keep things civilised shall we?

All I'm trying to do is provide a precedent for which to compare Nintendo's situation. If you can provide me with a similar non-VG example where pre-release marketing occurred and, more to the point, was successful (though this is somewhat hard to prove) then yes, Nintendo could be said to be short-sighted.

Point taken about the laptops. How about this then:

Have you seen any adverts for Windows Vista yet? There are only a handful of companies making OSes, and Vista is supposed to be released Q4 2006.

Are you saying advertising shouldnt start until it has came out?

I know nothing about advertising, so I won't answer that! ;)

I'm saying there's no point in bashing Nintendo for lack of pre-release advertising if there is no proof that it's actually beneficial. It's probably beneficial if it is common practise in the business world to do this, but it isn't.