NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
demonmike04

Possible Wii Killer

http://gonintendo.com/?p=7097

To be launched in the 3rd quatre of 2007, this little motion sensoring device does exactly what Wii can, and is cheaper and apparently doesnt require a sensor bar (Not sure how this works).

Why is it a possible Wii killer? The fact the company making this is aiming at next-gen consoles, therefore leaving a major selling point of the Wii obselete.

From what i've read in that article, I'd say it wont kill Wii. But, it does have potential, and from the picture it seems its a little device aiming at immitating Wii sports.

If they were to improve upon this, the Wii controls wont be as special.

Thoughts?

They certainly talk big, but do they actually work? Also they seem awfully specific - a pool cue and bowling ball?

http://gonintendo.com/?p=7097

To be launched in the 3rd quatre of 2007, this little motion sensoring device does exactly what Wii can, and is cheaper and apparently doesnt require a sensor bar (Not sure how this works).

Why is it a possible Wii killer? The fact the company making this is aiming at next-gen consoles, therefore leaving a major selling point of the Wii obselete.

From what i've read in that article, I'd say it wont kill Wii. But, it does have potential, and from the picture it seems its a little device aiming at immitating Wii sports.

If they were to improve upon this, the Wii controls wont be as special.

Thoughts?

Hmm. Looks shite. Anyway why would 3rd partys risk developing games for these when they have a multi million selling console already out and has a good reputation (considering everything goes to plan for Nintendo).

In2games. Go to hell!

Yeah from the looks of that 3D render, their going to launch multiple little batons to use. Which is a huge disadvantage as the Wii just requires the Wiimote and Nunchuck.

I don't think it poses a threat to the Wiimote. It may be good for sports games but I'll doubt it will be good to use in FPS because it doesn't know where it's pointing at exactly. After all it can't because there's no sensor on the TV.

And if I understand it right, it's meant for the PC so it won't be a big threat to the Wii.

For instance there were similar things to EyeToy for the PC but they didn't take off. And even if it worked exactly like the Wiimote I doubt many PC gamers would like to convert from mouse to a remote.

The two strongest PC genres FPS and RTS are perfect with mouse controls.

They might aswell all be the same thing!

There's no point them developing a range of them to look like the actual piece of equipment, because you aren't actually going to use it like that!

You're not going to rest that golf club on the floor when it's the size of a pencil!

Looks rubbish to me!

There's no way they could be a Wii killer when they can only be used for the sports genres anyway!

It's not as though it's coupled with a complete control setup like the Wii-mote and Nunchuck allow for! allowing for use in FPS, 3rd Person Adventures, RPG's etc... etc...

I dont think Nintendo have anything to worry about personally. How often have add ons for consoles made them wipe out the competition hmmmm lets think

1) Mega CD - nope.

2) N64 expansion pak - no.

3) Mega drive 32x - na.

4) SNES - super scope - no game support.

5) Bongas for cube - worked with 4 games (was cool though but hardly something you could use with every game!).

probably loads more but cant be arsed to think of them!

Anyway my point is they may very well release an item like this for other next gen consoles but how many games will actually use it? it's a double edged sword really if no games support it - it won't sell and if doesn't sell they won't make games for it.

Basically for a new next gen controller to work it would have to come with the console hence the Wii wins - games have been developed for it from the start.

:bowdown:

I don't think it poses a threat to the Wiimote. It may be good for sports games but I'll doubt it will be good to use in FPS because it doesn't know where it's pointing at exactly. After all it can't because there's no sensor on the TV.

Thats what I was thinking, but I guess thats just GoNintendo stating bullcrap again. Also, all next-gen consoles have USB ports I think, so it can be used for next-gen, its not just designed for PC.

There's no way they could be a Wii killer when they can only be used for the sports genres anyway!

It's not as though it's coupled with a complete control setup like the Wii-mote and Nunchuck allow for! allowing for use in FPS, 3rd Person Adventures, RPG's etc... etc...

It wont be used for just sports games, but thats just what they decided using as an example in the 3D render. If this does take off, many games for the Wii will be able to be ported over, but it'd be rather difficult.

It wont be used for just sports games, but thats just what they decided using as an example in the 3D render. If this does take off, many games for the Wii will be able to be ported over, but it'd be rather difficult.
Well at the moment all other control they incorporate is a D-pad! so they wouldn't allow for much else!

If they wanted to use it for other genres; they'd have to develop it alot further than that and implement numerous other buttons and attachments to get it anywhere near the complete control setup Nintendo has developed!

And that will cost them money!

Well at the moment all other control they incorporate is a D-pad! so they wouldn't allow for much else!

If they wanted to use it for other genres; they'd have to develop it alot further than that and implement numerous other buttons and attachments to get it anywhere near the complete control setup Nintendo has developed!

And that will cost them money!

Valid points, but the fact nothing more is known about the device means anything could be implimented into it.

Will probably work with one or 2 games then disappear into obscurity - I dont think Nintendo will lose any sleep over it. : peace:

i haven't even bothered looking at the article but it is something I genuinely believe will happen. When the Wii is massively popular every body will be chomping at the bit to emulate Nintendo. It's a matter of time before we get other new controllers. Will any of them be better than the Wii controls, no I doubt it but they will take something away from the Wii's massive selling point.

Let's start with the PS3 joypad for example. It could be used for controls similar to Sonic and Excite Truck.

So they're hoping developers making games for the Wii will port them over to Xbox 360/PS3? That'd require the game to be upscaled, controls changed, faith in the consumer to buy ANOTHER controller for this game, and faith in the developer to actually bother with trying to sell a motion sensing game to a console audience who bought that particular console because they didn't want motion sensing control in thier games. Well, fair to say they have some obstacles ahead but i'd rather have the Wiimote and nunchuck. Looks too damn cool.

Well, I must say, Nintendo really should've seen this one coming. Focusing solely on the Wii-mote and neglecting real technoligical jumps could backfire.

This has happened to Nintendo before, Shoulder buttons, analogue control, analogue buttons, rumble paks. All these things went on to be adopted as industry standards and although Nintendo pioneered them, they soon went on to lose that advantage.

If Nintendo do lose the 'Wii-mote advantage' as the other consoles develop similar controllers, then Nintendo will basically be left with an out of date console.

How much is this controller going to be? And are people going to want to buy another controller that can only control certain games?

If I had an Xbox 360 I wouldn't buy this anyway. The whole point in me wanting an Xbox 360 is so I can have different games that wouldn't be possible on Wii (more traditional games).

The thing is. No third (or first) party will support unofficial 3rd party devices. Meaning that it is already doomed to fail.

Reasons:

1) These accessories are likely to cause damage due to their size. And the bowling ball one....how can you not play without throwing it (the Wii Remote has a wrist strap to prevent chucking).

2) No developer will want the success of their product to be dependent on another company's product. For this reason, virtually no games will support it.

3) No Wii game so far would work on that controller. Meaning it won't help with ports either.

Got to admit it, that looks bettter than the wii. In fact wii looks flawed now. We're doomed!

If they release games on this, they are bound to break Nintendo patents somehow. This could spell out a potent competitor, although a third-party expansion would never be a true 'killer'.

There's one scenario some of you have ignored: whilst everyone is going on about either MS or Sony buying them up, what if Nintendo got in first and bought the company? The claim for this system is that it doesn't have the one limitation that the Nintendo system has, which is having to be pointed towards the sensor bar to allow for 3D positioning. Think about it, Nintendo could buy the rights to this tech and then use it in Wii2, which would be the more powerful system to match/exceed the performance of the PS3.

There's one scenario some of you have ignored: whilst everyone is going on about either MS or Sony buying them up, what if Nintendo got in first and bought the company? The claim for this system is that it doesn't have the one limitation that the Nintendo system has, which is having to be pointed towards the sensor bar to allow for 3D positioning. Think about it, Nintendo could buy the rights to this tech and then use it in Wii2, which would be the more powerful system to match/exceed the performance of the PS3.

Lets not even start talking about a 'Wii2' we still don't even know whether Wii will fly or die, so talking about it successor is very premature.

If it is true that this system doesn't have to be pointed at a sensor bar then this is great, and is an improvement over Wii, which is genuinely worrying as Wii is yet to be released and it's already been bested, now in bith terms of graphics and controller technology.

Sign in to follow this