NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Nintendork

Soundtracks to games on the disc..

Just found out that if you pop the PlayStation disc WipeOut into your CD player.. skip to the next track you get the entire soundtrack in great quality.

Hardly anything written about these discs on the internet.

Anyone know any other games that do this? Google has got nothing on this so called 'RedBook' format.

I am hoping Gran Turismo does.. not sure if this will work for DVD based systems, but certainly could for Saturn and other PlayStation games.

If you see WipeOut in a bargain bin I recommend getting it solely for the soundtrack.

Time Crisis 1 on the PS1 is the only one that springs to mind at the moment.

TY, I will be picking up a copy of Jet Set from my Cash converters.. should be much cheaper than the £20 or so it is for one of the OST's of eBay. PRO.

or just include a free CD Sooundtrack-would save me so much money/downloading

RedBook is hard to pirate, that's why they didn't have a problem with giving it away as an extra.

TY, I will be picking up a copy of Jet Set from my Cash converters.. should be much cheaper than the £20 or so it is for one of the OST's of eBay. PRO.

Don't know if it'll work on a regular CD player, but it does on the DCs CD player option.

Wipeout 3 does, as does the Tekken series, those were the only ones I tried out way back when.

Half Life and Doom for the PC do this. The Half Life soundtrack rocks. I swear theres a song in that that is used in Buffy in fact I think theres a whole episode of Buffy that has Half Life references.

Carmageddon 2 had some iron maiden on it. Just a few songs though. Quake 2 has some kind of metal on the disk also.

I heard that if you put the Shenmue discs in a cd player you get each of the characters warning not to put the discs in a cd player. Bit late for that I think.

I thought you could play the music from most PS1 games as long as they are platinum? I also thought it was common knowledge! :woops:

Well PS1 games were just CD-R's so all of them should work tbh, Im not sure about DC, as they used there own type of disk, forgotten what it was called.

Had a go with a few others, Cool Boarders and Destruction Derby do- unfortunately both of these soundtracks are shite.

Gonna see if I get any love from the Final Fantasy discs later.

Loads of odl-skool PC games do. It was becausew they play the in-game soundtrack FROM the CD.

I think it might be so because it allows to use high quality music in games. Back when mp3's weren't around. And the hard drive space was a bit limited. And I'm not sure how the cpu's back then would have performed if they had to decode mp3's as well as run the game. Nowadays that's not so big a deal.

all the older ps1 games do it.like rayman,street racer.loaded.Anyone know why they stopped it?

DVDs use a finer laser that yo' average CD player can't detect.. it just comes up as a mish mash of undetectable crap.

That's why a DVD holds more data on a same sized disc.. because the bumps and flat spots are so much smaller.

I heard you can drill a 1mm hole in a CD and it won't skip because the data lines are so big.

Sign in to follow this