NEurope
scubahood

Should the veil be banned?

This seems to be the hot topic in the news at the moment I want to try and get a real discussion going on here but guys try and keep it clean.

Anyway my opinion is that in public I do believe it should be banned. In this current day and age where we are so security aware you need to be able to identify someone. Not only that but I do find it uncomfortable at work when serving someone at work wearing one as all you can see is eyes no facial espression and it comes across as an evil look to me.

Theres a few of my opinions whats everyone elses?

Yes. It could be a trap.

edit: wait, i should take back my remarks, i did get a PM from a SOMEONE telling me to read the quran etc etc

I agree, they should be taken off. For security measures and seeing as people covering their faces could be dangerous in some situations. Also, I think that the Muslim reaction to the teacher being sacked for refusing to take it off is just stupid. This person is supposed to be teaching English where you need to listen carefully to what words are being said, but the children complained that her voice was muffled. Exactly right, take it off.

Hell no. What would be the point? If people want to express or indentify themselves with their religous background by waring a veil, how is that hurting anyone? Leave them be I say.

It's an individual choice. Noone has any right to disallow it, but at the same time, I think it's fucking stupid, it has nothing to do with religion, I would know, most of my family are Muslim.

Hell no. What would be the point? If people want to express or indentify themselves with their religous background by waring a veil, how is that hurting anyone? Leave them be I say.

Its all down to security I would like to express myself by wearing a baseball cap but I am not aloud to in many places so they can see my face better they should do the same.

Secondly there is no need for them to cover their faces in this country women have equal rights they should free themselves from it

I don't like them who wear them :( they scare me. Reminds me of terrorists etc.

Anyway at some places Christians are being told to take there crosses off around they're necks. So I think it should work both ways really.

Its all down to security I would like to express myself by wearing a baseball cap but I am not aloud to in many places so they can see my face better they should do the same.

Secondly there is no need for them to cover their faces in this country women have equal rights they should free themselves from it

Don't you think though that persecuting the sincerely held beliefs of an entire section of British society is a somewhat disproportinate response to a minor security risk?

I think that in certain places it should. I.e. Anywhere you're not allowed bike helmets/anywhere with high security etc etc etc.

And in schools, everyone else has to abide by rules, these shouldnt be allowed to be bent.

Don't you think though that persecuting the sincerely held beliefs of an entire section of British society is a somewhat disproportinate response to a minor security risk?

No security risk is minor.

I think banning the veil is close minded. Security reasons? Anyone can wear a mask in Halloween, a big coat that can hide bombs, etc... That's no excuse. If someone chooses to wear a veil, it's thei choice and no one else's.

I have a bad feeling about this thread...

My Opinion? I can't have one, I don't know nearly enough about this topic to say anything.

I think banning the veil is close minded. Security reasons? Anyone can wear a mask in Halloween, a big coat that can hide bombs, etc... That's no excuse. If someone chooses to wear a veil, it's thei choice and no one else's.

Don't go giving them ideas...Plus...when the hell are you going to wear a halloween mask in a bank/in class/at work (well, most places) etc etc??

I say yes. People say you should let them because you should 'respect their beliefs' and such, but saying that, their beliefs are no more important than mine. So if I and say ten thousand others believed in a certain religion and that meant me walking around with a paper bag over my head with just holes cut out for me eyes as I felt that was my duty, i'm sure that wouldn't be allowed.

I'm surprised that they're trying to get the veils banned, it would be very controlling and unfair on the Muslims that have always worn one, it's very different to not being able to wear a cap or hoody.

Then again I personally hate the veils, they make me uncomfortable and I disagree with women having to wear them infront of men. It just shows they're not equal.

I read an article in the paper which said Muslims have to wear head scarves as part of their religion but the veils aren't a requirement. In that case I would much prefer if they did take off the veils.

So really I'm undecided, I think it would be unfair to ban them, but I wish they didn't exist :hmm:

I say yes. People say you should let them because you should 'respect their beliefs' and such, but saying that, their beliefs are no more important than mine. So if I and say ten thousand others believed in a certain religion and that meant me walking around with a paper bag over my head with just holes cut out for me eyes as I felt that was my duty, i'm sure that wouldn't be allowed.

Exactly.

I think the Christian & Atheist is far more discriminated against than most people realise.

(And if you're a white male, even more so)

This one muslim was on the news saying that she doesan't wear it for her religion, she just wears it to make people listen to what shes saying and not judging her by her face.

GRRRRRRRRRRR

The veil should not be banned. If you have a problem with it then deal with it because it's YOUR problem. It's part of their religion.

Although in the recent case about the teacher wearing the veil...

Well. She was a junior school teacher. Kids would NEED to see her mouth to be able to be successful in English. When you learn to speak english and other languages, you copy other people's mouth movements to produce different sounds. Most of our communication is done not verbally but through body movements including facial expressions. For children so young where they are still learning how to perfect communication, a teacher wearing a face covering veil is completely unacceptable.

The veil should not be banned. If you have a problem with it then deal with it because it's YOUR problem. It's part of their religion.

It's also extremist muslim and other religion beliefs that the Western world should all die and whatnot.

Then again I personally hate the veils, they make me uncomfortable and I disagree with women having to wear them infront of men. It just shows they're not equal.

I read an article in the paper which said Muslims have to wear head scarves as part of their religion but the veils aren't a requirement. In that case I would much prefer if they did take off the veils.

It's all a load of balls. Women have to do no such thing, but it's become something indoctrinated into every young girl, so by the time they're fully grown, they don't feel right without it.

A lot of muslims believe in female circumcision aswell, even though there is nothing remotely to do with the religion that says it should be done. People believe what they want to.

It's part of their religion.

No. No it's not.

It shouldn't be banned, but in some circumstances they shouldn't be allowed to wear it, that primary school for instance. As BGS said, the children need to be able to see their teacher if they want to have the best opportunity to learn as possible and if the teacher will refuse to take it off she shouldn't be allowed to teach. End of story as far as I'm concerned.

like the MP said if im talkin to someone i want to see there face.

id prefer to see it banned

Also with the school story, it would be hard for the children to trust a teacher when they can only see her eyes. It's unfair on them for her to wear it whilst teaching.

It does sound like the teacher was mis-informed when she took the job though, possibly because the interviewer had different views to the head master.

But then again, do you see the persons face when you talk to them on the phone, on MSN or even on these forums? No, you don't. This is all in the way of conversation btw; I hate the veil.