NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
marcel

what ethernet sort are you going with?

Streaming videos over Wifi isn't ideal, but for online games it shouldn't be too bad. I'll go wireless me thinks... since my PC hosting the wifi and my Wii will be around a foot away from each other.

I have a bit of a love hate relationship with wireless. My TV and consoles sit right next to my wireless router which is plugged into my 10meg NTL connection, so its easier to use RJ45 (wired) with my consoles. My PC is in another room and that goes wireless and I have no end of problems with that. It can sit online for days no problem and then go off online, normally when my neighbours power on their wireless router. I have been through 2 wireless routers, both as tempremental as each other.

I have hooked my DS upto the router wirelessly and its fine. I will try the Wii wireless and see how it fairs but if I have issues I'll just get the usb ethernet adapter and use that instead.

In a way I'm glad they put wireless in as standard and ethernet as a option. Consoles arent always near your router so wireless is the best option with wired being a good second choice.

Streaming videos over Wifi isn't ideal, but for online games it shouldn't be too bad. I'll go wireless me thinks... since my PC hosting the wifi and my Wii will be around a foot away from each other.

How do you do that? A Software AP?

I'll go wireless. MAC filtering and WEP will be more than enough.

Probability of:

Someone stoping by your house

X

his intentions being to connect to your network

X

be skilled enough to bypass WEP

X

be skilled enough to bypass MAC filtering

X

his intentions to be to harm your PC somehow

X

you not noticing

=ridiculous

Originally, I was going to go ethernet going on the advise of a computer techy friend who mentioned that gaming tends to drop out with Wifi. But if there isn't that much data being sent anyway... well, probably Wifi all the way!

But... seeing as I'm moving house soon, it will probably depend on locations of Wii, wireless router... other stuff.

WiFi. Might motivate me to hook up my wireless router again but then I might do what I did with the DS - Try online out when I first get it, play a multiplayer game for 10 minutes and never bother again...

Wifi,

The only thing between my Wii and the Wireless Router will be my iMac so I doubt I'll see much difference than if I were to use a cable, and if I did I could easily move the router to te other side of my iMac, giving the router and Wii a completely 100% clear transmission path.

I don't think we'll see WPA support, I'm guessing Nintendo would probably implement an almost exact replica of the DS's wireless setup, otherwise they would need to order different chipsets etc. This of it like how they used the same d-pad in the GBA and GC, saves money because they're the same part.

Unless has it been confirmed that they're using 802.11g? If so then just chuck that entire paragraph in the bin!! :grin:

the problem with it only supporting wep is that it lowers the standard for the rest of your network (a VERY valid point). This is why I do not play my DS online from home. If the wii does not support wpa then I will be getting a cat5 adapter... just had some of the house wired for it anyway :p

i only realy use wireless for my ds and so far that seems to work okay (no drop outs), Wireless G is plently fast enough to stream movies, music and play games my only concern with wifi is latency which does not really effect my setup anyway since it's only a few meters away.

Sign in to follow this