NEurope
Tellyn

Virtual Console - All you need to know

No its all about the fridge! THE FRIDGE!!!

This man is right. Everything is about the fridge.

Well you can use your SD card but it takes a while to copy over,not to sure if the save files do or not. Haven't tried it yet actually. Might soon since I have a 1 gig SD Card.

So I booted up Shining in the Darkness last night and let me tell you I forgot how hardcore this game is.

I spent a good hour just hanging by the entrance by the first dungeon just getting into random battles so I could level my my character as he is pretty weak to start off with. Also I forgot how much of a maze the dungeons are. Being a first-person RPG you have to try and remember where you have been as most the walls look the same, getting lost is pretty easy in the game :)

I remember my brother playing this back in the glory days and he had to draw his own map, kinda of like what you had to do with the first Zelda game. Luckly for me this is the internet age and I can happily download a map via gamefaqs ( on doing it now ) : peace:

Overall im well happy with the purchase and see that I will get many hours gameplay of this beauty. I love playing games that take you back to your childhood, oh happy days.

Heres a vid of the gameplay, love the battle music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsebwVibEEM

Thanks for the impressions, HoT. It has been near the top of my wish list for a while now - I've kept putting it off because I can still clearly remember the levelling-up and mapmaking needed.

I've been playing Landstalker (by the same people) recently and the art design and a few of the sound effects and music arrangements take me back to SitD.

You've made my mind up to definitely get it.

You've made my mind up to definitely get it.

Good to hear someone else is picking this up!

Played on it a bit more today but have yet to finish the first dungeon as im still just levelling up. My character is level 8 now and I managed to get some cash together to upgrade some of my armour so methinks I will tackle the 1st boss tomorrow.

I cant wait to get my companions as its a nightmare trying to fend of 3 enemies at once when your by yourself.

Hmm, sounds like you're enjoying it, but it sounds like a bit of a grind too and I'm not sure I could be bothered with that type of game right at the moment. Having said that, if you keep posting about it... and then Patch does too, it'll brainwash me into impulse downloading it sooner rather than later! :

Just when you mention being on your own for periods of RPGs, Breath of Fire II had a difficult opening section because of this very reason. Speaking of which, its been a while since I fired that one up, these game worlds don't save themselves now do they.

Yeah your right about it being one big grinding session. To be honest I think most of the game is like that.

I probably wouldnt recommend this game to anyone who hasnt either played it when they were younger or hasnt played Shining The Holy Ark ( its spiritual sequel on the Saturn and awesome game to boot ) as its a pretty hard game that only a few will love.

I can imagine people buying it who have never heard of it before and giving up after 5 mins play. I said beore and I'll say it again this game is really old skool, hardcore RPGing :)

I can imagine people buying it who have never heard of it before and giving up after 5 mins play. I said before and I'll say it again this game is really old skool, hardcore RPGing :)

I agree - people who haven't played it before will wonder what point there is in spending two hours making it round the fifth bend on the first floor. The exploration curve starts off almost vertical, but it does get a lot better later. You can almost clear a whole floor in one visit later on.

It's hard to describe the appeal - the cartoon graphics, music and sound effects are very absorbing, even if the gameplay is extremely shallow. And the feeling of satisfaction when you make it to the second floor is immense (Ooooo, the walls are different colours!) ;)

I agree - people who haven't played it before will wonder what point there is in spending two hours making it round the fifth bend on the first floor. The exploration curve starts off almost vertical, but it does get a lot better later. You can almost clear a whole floor in one visit later on.

It's hard to describe the appeal - the cartoon graphics, music and sound effects are very absorbing, even if the gameplay is extremely shallow. And the feeling of satisfaction when you make it to the second floor is immense (Ooooo, the walls are different colours!) ;)

True on all accounts!

Im going start its own topic off even if im the only one posting in it :)

Im going start its own topic off even if im the only one posting in it :)

There'll be at least two people.

Just when you mention being on your own for periods of RPGs, Breath of Fire II had a difficult opening section because of this very reason. Speaking of which, its been a while since I fired that one up, these game worlds don't save themselves now do they.

How far did you get in that game? Were you playing the SNES or GBA version? My GBA game froze at the section where you're the monkey dude (it's been a while since I played it) in the castle, all on your own - just after fighting several battles while falling off a tower. Ages after a save point. Put me right off an otherwise quality game.

This week is:

Mega Man 2 - Nes, 500 points.

Top Hunter - NeoGeo, 900 points.

I got Mega Man 2.

Patch, in Breath of Fire 2, I got to the second continent but not too far into it after that. Its been quality up til that point but sometimes I don't feel like playing a grinding game like that and so I haven't played it in a while- but I definitely will go back to it. Like you mentioned there, I've think I suffered some untimely deaths already but I've just had to grit my teeth and get on with it. I downloaded it on the VC in the summer, get it now you've finished Landstalker and inspire me to get back to it!

Glad to see another Megaman game is up especially number 2 as its regarded as the best one on the NES.

Luckly I have them all and the X games on the Cube ( imported the US collection games ) so I dont have to fill my Wiis memory with them.

I downloaded it on the VC in the summer, get it now you've finished Landstalker and inspire me to get back to it!

I didn't know it was available on the VC. In that case, consider it er . . . considered. When I have a few less games to play, I'll probably get it and start over as I've forgotten what on earth was going on, storywise.

I too was hoping for Double Trouble as usual, I'm sure its just a matter of time... but I've been telling myself that since DKC 2 went up. I got Megaman 2 to go with Megaman 1 that I got earlier this year when it went up- I wasn't too worried about it filling my fridge seeing as its a Nes game. :heh:

I didn't know it was available on the VC. In that case, consider it er . . . considered. When I have a few less games to play, I'll probably get it and start over as I've forgotten what on earth was going on, storywise.

Yeah, take your time, er, considering it and I'll see about clearing a few other games outta the way in the meantime. I'm not entirely sure whats going on storywise myself anymore, but I can remember roughly where I left the game so atleast, until my memory fails me, I know what to do next. However what comes after that is anyones guess.

Lol, Im pining for DKC3! Im sure itll be soon, eh.

Your not the only one mate. DKC3 would make my day as it really is a Christmas game for me seeing as I played it constantly the Year/Christmas it came out.

Stop toying with us Nintendo!!!!

Anyone else got Shining Force then? Its a pretty class game. It blends RPG and SRPG in a way that makes this unique from other games like Fire Emblem which I thought it would reflect alot more. You walk around towns, talk to people and buy stuff like in any RPG then you have the battles like in SRPGs. The battles take place on the main map, in the towns, in circus tents... basically anywhere you can visit out of battle and walk around. Pretty cool!

I'm still gettin used to the controls- when talkin to people or opening a chest or "checking" a bookcase or something, you don't just press the button and it happens automatically. No, you have to choose "talk" to speak to someone (obviously!) or you select "search" to open a chest, check a bookcase etc. Also, in battle, its not turnbased in the sense that your squad, the Shining Force, make all their moves and then all the enemies take their turn. No siree, it seems to work based on the speed stats of all characters on the battlefield. Meaning that its still turn based, but everyone on the field get to move in the order according to their stats. Hope you understand what I mean!

I will pick it up once I have done Shining in the Darkness and join you in some strategy RPGing.

Two great bits of news now.

Firstly the US is getting Monster Lair which was an awesome little game on the Megadrive which brings back many a memory for me. I remember borrowing it off a mate of mine when I was a kid but I think it was an import as he had hacked away bits oft he cartridge if I remember correctly.

Lastly is this...

http://gonintendo.com/?p=31648

Needless to say that Darksnowman and ReZourceman will join me in getting giddy as a school girl!

ITS COMING!!!!

*clicks above link*

(geddit, link... Hero-of-Time... Link...!)

At long last: Double Trouble cometh! Anyone know how long it generally takes for games to launch on the VC after they get rated? If this could appear basically this week, then that would be perfect. Or what if its uploaded on Christmas day? Ok, I'm getting carried away now- like a little school girl as predicted.

Shining Force is like a normal RPG but instead of random battles when you walk around, there are scripted SRPG battles. Its not like Fire Emblem where you just go chapter to chapter with nothing but dialogue in between.

Cheers H-O-T, written an article up on the main site. It's good news indeed, my prediction is that we'll see it on the 21st as one of the last games before Christmas.

Wwwwwhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

Waitta minute....

elfdude89 Says:

December 15th, 2007 at 3:42 am

meh…

HEATHEN! *Beats to death*