NEurope
Tellyn

Virtual Console - All you need to know

In Q1 not very high.

And I see Aussie pit up Mykes findings on his website which got posted at Gonintendo.

In Q1 not very high.

And I see Aussie pit up Mykes findings on his website which got posted at Gonintendo.

Very cheeky that Aussie didn't put the source of it all down.

I have now updated my post and added in the source of this info

PS: i have asked Kevin at gonintendo to add Myke Greywolf as the source of this info

MARCH 2

Australia

Sega Mega Drive

streetsofrage-1.jpg. swordofvermilion.jpg

Europe

Sega Mega Drive

streetsofrage-1.jpg. swordofvermilion.jpg. thestoryofthor.jpg

The Story of Thor has yet to be added to the Australian OFLC

TurboGrafx-16

chewmanfu.jpg

N-Europe - Forums member

Myke Greywolf

Those Sega Genesis boxarts look really ugly compared to that mega drive shot. The prospect of Streets of Rage being out this week is just too much. :o

Thanks for the nod, Aussie - I'd just like to point out that I'm not particularly fond of these findings being posted as proof of impending release this week. I did that in the beginning with the whole "little birdie" thing, but that was before Nintendo noticed people were doing this and started getting sneaky with their server uploads. The facts are: these ROMs are in the server, but there is no way to know if they will actually be released this week.

Going into a little more technical detail, for your information:

Just like all the games for other Nintendo systems (*), each VC game has a 4-letter code. This code includes:

- The original system (first letter):

--- F: NES (Famicom)

--- J: SNES

--- M: Megadrive

--- N: Nintendo 64

--- P: Turbografx (PC Engine)

--- H: Wii downloads (such as Opera and the Everyone Votes Channel)

- A unique 2-letter code that identifies the game within the games for that system. For VC games, it appears to have been assigned in alphabetical order from AA, going all the way to AZ, then A1-A9, then BA-BZ, and so on.

- The region the release refers to:

--- E: NTSC (Americas)

--- J: NTSC (Japan)

--- P: PAL (Europe and Oceania)

For instance:

--- FAGP: Super Mario Bros., PAL version

--- JAGJ: Fire Emblem: Monshou no Nazo, Japanese version

--- MAQE: Streets of Rage, American version

These 4-letter codes are embedded (in encoded form) in the URL's for all web server resources pertaining to that particular game - both the ROM files and the screenshots and web pages used while browsing the Wii Shop Channel.

So, I've said that there are still no screenshots for the ROMs I found this week. And I can download the ROMs, but since they're all encrypted, there is no way I can tell which game they belong to just by looking at their contents. So, how can I say so surely which games are these?

Whenever I find a PAL-version ROM, I take a note of the 4-letter code for it, and replace the final "P" for "E" or "J". Then I look in the server for screenshots of the american/japanese versions of the game. If these screenshots are present, I'll most likely be able to identify the game. If not, then I can't identify it. That's why, last week, I couldn't tell right away that the N64 game was Ocarina of Time: it hadn't been released in any other territories, so there were no screenshots. All I had was the 4-letter code that told me it was a N64 game, so I posted "unidentified N64 game".

As I said before, if Nintendo uploads the screenshots, it's an almost sure sign that the game will be released in that same week. If I see the PAL-version screenshots, I'll go ahead and say "this game will be released this week" with a straight face, since I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't put the screenshots in the server unless they were ready to release it (although they might still want to postpone it for other reasons - it's a small risk). Nowadays, they're only uploading the screenshots on Thursday afternoons. Last week, I hadn't the chance to snoop the server around that time, otherwise I would have said "all the games I listed before will be released tonight, but Chew Man Fu probably won't, since I still can't find a screenshot for it".

In other words, I advise all of you not to take these lists as sure releases for the week until I (or someone else with the means to do it) announce that the screenshots are up. Until then, it's just a list of games that will eventually be released (and probably soon), but not obligatorily that same week.

All in all, it's not an exact science. ;)

(*) To find the 4-letter code for your Wii, GameCube, GBA and DS games, look on the back side of the game box, near the bar code. For instance, in this cover, we can see that the 4-letter code for the PAL version of F-Zero GX is GFZP. Try to catch'em all!

Screenshots are now up for:

- Sword of Vermilion (Megadrive)

- Bio-Hazard Battle (Megadrive)

- Streets of Rage (Megadrive)

- Chew Man Fu (Turbografx)

Here they are:

fffd000210e35c37rz5.pngfffd000110e91f44de7.png

fffd000210e4837bmf1.pngfffd000110e877c2fu8.png

fffd000210e51692ad6.pngfffd000110e7d99atg3.png

fffd000210e6197for9.pngfffd000110e76bb7bx4.png

Therefore, these will probably be tonight's releases on the european VC.

I'm gonna wait and see what Sword of Vermillions like from Jordans review then see if it's worth downloading.

Thanks for the pics birdie!

From an interview with Square Enix's Vice President Hiromichi Tanaka on February 8th.

AR: It seems to be…the Chrono series seems to have a huge following across the Internet. People are always asking about Chrono Trigger, maybe it will appear on the Virtual Console for the Wii…?

HT: It’s a 50-50 possibility – we’re not sure yet. It contains a really difficult problem of copyright issues, such as Akira Toriyama’s artwork. We’re discussing with Nintendo, but haven’t really come to any conclusion.

LS: Do you think that, again given the original Final Fantasy games were on the Famicom, that they could equally be released on the Wii on the Virtual Console?

HT: *Laughs* It’s also difficult…

LS: It seems like something that would be ideal for the Japanese audience, rather than us, but…

HT: Since it’s 20 years old the game, we are sort of looking for the data. *Laughter*

LS: Ah!

HT: Because in those days there were no networks, we had to keep them on floppy disks – five inch versions *more laughter* We’ll have to look for them.

AR: It’s Final Fantasy’s 20th Anniversary this year and there’s been an announcement about Final Fantasy I and II coming on the PSP. But will there be anything for Nintendo systems considering Final Fantasy started on the Nintendo Entertainment System?

HT: We can’t go into details at the moment *laughter* But it’s the 20th Anniversary so we are considering different types of games on different platforms, so please look forward to a future announcement.

http://www.cubed3.com/news/6783

Thanks for the heads up on the VC games, i've only played one of those games so it should be interesting.

Thanks for the list.

Well, another week of nothing for me, and Super Mario World so far is a complete dissapointment...

I just want A Link To The Past.

I just want A Link To The Past.

Ah,another member to join the club.

Welcome to my world ;)

Although I never expected it this week,I think we will get it a week from now.

Yai. Streets of Rage. Will invest in that later on tonight! I wonder if we will get Final Fight from Capcom on the VC too?

Yai. Streets of Rage. Will invest in that later on tonight! I wonder if we will get Final Fight from Capcom on the VC too?

Oh god i hope so! :D

What would be the chances of Star Fox 2 cropping up on the VC sometime?

If you mean Lylat Wars then yes, they are working on it for 2007. Damn that game is awesome.

If you mean Lylat Wars then yes, they are working on it for 2007. Damn that game is awesome.

I mean the SNES game, that was finished but never released.

I loved that game, Haggar ruled with his spinning closeline attack.

I mean the SNES game, that was finished but never released.

Yeah, it crossed my mind. I just thought that game was, like, a showcase or summit.

Finished Kirby today (well, beat the end boss, only got the game 75% finished apparently); fun game. Now to wait for another VC game to come up that'll be able to entertain me. =3

Dunno if its been posted:

SEGA Mega Drive: (800 Wii Points)

Sword of Vermillion™ (1 player)

Bio Hazard Battle™ (1-2 players)

Streets of Rage™ (1-2 players)

TurboGrafx: (600 Wii Points)

Chew-Man-Fu™ (1-2 players)

Out tonight.

I ony have 100 points, gonna get me some points for Streets of Rage.