NEurope
Tellyn

Virtual Console - All you need to know

From this week, i am NE's retro reviewer. Which means every time a VC game comes out i do a mini review. Best bit? 9000 free VC points a month baby :).

From this week, i am NE's retro reviewer. Which means every time a VC game comes out i do a mini review. Best bit? 9000 free VC points a month baby :).

:nono:

Grrr. :P

That's pretty awesome, not a bad job at all.

I don't know whether to be jealous for the few great games, or be glad that I don't have to touch the rest of them.

You don't have to browse through 40 pages.Tellys done a good job of listing them on the very first page.

Wow, Do I feel like a dork now :heh:

Damn, There are areound 10 VC games that I'll download instantly when I get a Wii. (Yep, still haven't got one :(. But I probably will in march)

A question. How many VC games can you have on your console? I heard something about that they're stored in channels (which imo is pretty dang stupid) and they are limited..

Thx!

Just bought super mario world - tried to buy Kid Icarus but its not on the shop channel . . . how odd

Just bought super mario world - tried to buy Kid Icarus but its not on the shop channel . . . how odd

You need a US Wii for Kid Icarus ATM.

Does anyone know if I have a nintendo usb connector down stairs would it connect my wii to the internet upstairs.

Does anyone know if I have a nintendo usb connector down stairs would it connect my wii to the internet upstairs.

Chances are it won't... The USB Connector sucks if you are to use with Wii in my opinion. You should give it a permanent connection, either wireless or the ethernet adapter.

Could you please do them in video form ala Angry Nintendo Nerd?

I was hoping enough years had passed that i wouldnt remember much about LttP but i whizzed through it in no time

Chances are it won't... The USB Connector sucks if you are to use with Wii in my opinion. You should give it a permanent connection, either wireless or the ethernet adapter.

well where do I get an ethernet adapter for it.

Zelda - Let me go find a thread I made before. I was having problems with my Wii connector so I did some "modifying" which increased the power of it. It now works for me through 3 walls at 3 bars, so perhaps it will help you. No guarantees, and I do need to take it out regularly to stop it overheating.

Edit: This post

It's not a bad life, really, is it?

Oh, and ZeldaFreak mate, had exactly the same problem. Try tapping it in on google.

OK, let me go clean on the "little birdie" matter.

Even though I got the VC releases right on the last few weeks, I don't know any Nintendo insider.

The truth is, I am one of a few people who figured out the URL naming scheme for the VC resource files inside the Wii Shop Channel server. I wrote a Python script to allow me to explore that scheme in order to find new files as soon as they are uploaded into the server. A little URL hacking, I like to call it.

Yep, this script is the "birdie". I made the "birdie" story up so that people wouldn't ask me to give them the script. If too many people try to do this at the same time, there is the risk of overloading the Nintendo Wii Shop Channel server. So, please don't ask me for the script.

In the last few weeks, Nintendo seems to have discovered that people have been using these tactics to discover which games will be released on the VC. They have been using some cute tricks in order to prevent people from doing this, such as uploading bogus screenshots or delaying uploading until the last possible moment. Nevertheless, they still have to upload and test the server files before making them available, and I am able to see them in this period.

There's even the possibility that they put all the resource files for a game in the server, and don't release the game anyway. So, from now on, I'll just tell you people about the files I discover in the server, as soon as I discover them, and from then on, you can speculate all that you want about the releases for the week based on that information.

So, what did "birdie" find this week?

The ROM files for the european version of the following games have been uploaded to the Wii Shop Channel server:

- Kirby's Adventure (NES)

- Excitebike (NES)

- R-Type III (SNES) [This was already in the server last week, but ended up not being released. Maybe this week?]

- New Adventure Island (Turbografx)

So, you can count on at least some of these games being released this week.

Screenshot files for these games haven't been uploaded to the server yet. The presence of the screenshot files is an almost certain sign that the games will be released on that week. I will inform you all when I find the screenshot files for any of these games.

You sneaky little devil ;)

Well done in your work up untill now,must be cool being sort of in the server.

I shall stil patiently wait for Alttp,though poor Europe still doesn't have it.I;m fairly confident we'll have it a week on friday.

Clever clever!

I was able to find out what games were on the server at launch using that 'user agent changer' for Firefox and some URL guessing. But that is something a bit special :)

Excitebike? R-Type III? Those are like 2 of my favourite games ever.

Bring on Thursday night!

well little birdie turns out to be nothing more than a clever cheeky little monkey, playing around with some code hehe.

explains why you couldn't find out for sure the last couple of weeks.

Say was Kid Icarus ever released in europe?

US-only so far, was only released on Monday. I'm sure, anyway (unless we had it before last Friday).

I have the PC up in my bedroom here and my Wii is downstairs in the living room below. I can usually get connected with the USB connector with this setup though, on occasions, I just can't get any signal. However, other times the signal is displayed as full. I would say give it a go anyway if you don't have any other solutions.

US-only so far, was only released on Monday. I'm sure, anyway (unless we had it before last Friday).

I meant the original nes game, not the VC version, or did you meant that also.

I meant the original nes game, not the VC version, or did you meant that also.

Ah,sorry. Thought you meant the VC version. The original one was released in Europe