NEurope
Tellyn

Virtual Console - All you need to know

Ok i just noticed something that seems really inconsistant to me.

On my channels menu i got "Super Mario Bros." and "Super Mario Bros 2(:The Lost Levels) next to each other.... i was meaning to select SMB2 but hit SMB by mistake, so i just press "plus" to get to where i want to be.

Then i noticed the year of release on both seems weird (you know it's displayed top left corner).

According to what i see here, Nintendo released Super Mario Bros in 1987 but they released Super Mario Bros 2(Lost Levels) in 1986.... how does a sequel come out before the first game? (ignoring prequels and Star Wars and such of course)

Ok i just noticed something that seems really inconsistant to me.

On my channels menu i got "Super Mario Bros." and "Super Mario Bros 2(:The Lost Levels) next to each other.... i was meaning to select SMB2 but hit SMB by mistake, so i just press "plus" to get to where i want to be.

Then i noticed the year of release on both seems weird (you know it's displayed top left corner).

According to what i see here, Nintendo released Super Mario Bros in 1987 but they released Super Mario Bros 2(Lost Levels) in 1986.... how does a sequel come out before the first game? (ignoring prequels and Star Wars and such of course)

The '87 date is for when SMB was released in Europe. Lost Levels' date is from the Japanese release, as it was never released in Europe.

The '87 date is for when SMB was released in Europe. Lost Levels' date is from the Japanese release, as it was never released in Europe.

Oh right, i didn't realize Japan had both 1 and 2 before we even got 1 (and technically only got 2 last week, talk about a long delay...not counting All Stars of course, but that wasn't the "origianl" version)

I see the americans are getting Streets of Rage 3 on Monday, I will snap that up as its the only one I havent played. I imagine that we will get it on the Megadrive Friday in the 1st week of October.

After downloading the Lost Level's, I remembered this cheat/tip I used during the SNES day's to get a lot of lives! Haven't had a chance to try it out again yet, has anyone else done so yet?

In World 1-1:

1. Hit the 2nd solid block for the Mushroom. Bump the Mushroom over the last block without hitting the koopa troopa.

2. Grab the Mushroom to become Super Mario. Go back and break the first block and then break the third block. The koopa troopa should be walking back and forth on the fourth block.

3. Jump up to stand on the second block. Break the blocks directly above you and the blocks to the left and right.

4. Make a small jump onto the Koopa. Mario should bounce up and down on the shell and will eventually begin to rack up 1-Ups.

Out of interest, are any of the Contra games on VC? I really want to get some and soon!

Also, Streets of Rage III for America! NICE! That said, it wasn't as good as II. Infact, no side scrolling beat-em up will ever be as good.

Yep' date=' under the label Super Probotector. The name was changed in Europe.[/quote']

I thought Super Probotector was the SNES one? The I really want to play is the NES one...

I thought Super Probotector was the SNES one? The I really want to play is the NES one...

The second NES one (Probotector II) was released on the American VC on 27th August. It's not on the European VC though.

I really hope Nintendo releases an update soon to add more "pages" to the console's menu (I only have 3 slots left), not to mention they need to do something about the storage capability of the console.

Just downloaded Mario's Picross. Awesome game. Should keep me busy until the DS games arrive.

This week's releases (courtesy of darksnowman)

Neo Geo

Fatal Fury: King of Fighters

MegaDrive

Streets of Rage 3

Golden Axe 3

Landstalker

Super Thunder Blade

whata line up, virtual console is sooooo much better than xbox marketplace and teh psn shop, thanks nintendo :)

This week's releases (courtesy of darksnowman)

Neo Geo

Fatal Fury: King of Fighters

MegaDrive

Streets of Rage 3

Golden Axe 3

Landstalker

Super Thunder Blade

Lol, 900 points for the NeoGeo gear by the way and the usual 800 for the Mega Drive games. Landstalker any use is it? Can't say I'm interested in any of the others that have gone up this weekend.

Lol, 900 points for the NeoGeo gear by the way and the usual 800 for the Mega Drive games. Landstalker any use is it? Can't say I'm interested in any of the others that have gone up this weekend.

I would recommend Landstalker if you're into action RPGs. The game is absolutely massive with a gorgeous use of colour and some clever dungeons. It's like a cross between Zelda and Equinox. And it's pretty hard too.

From - Virtual Console archive

After many long, long months, the time has finally arrived for Europeans: The legendary Super Metroid is now available on VC! In the third Metroid game, Samus travels back to Zebes to dispose of the Space Pirates once and for all. It's one of her longest and greatest adventures ever, and if you haven't played the game before, you honestly owe it to yourself to experience it, as it is often classed among the top games in Nintendo's history. Also, this is the 150th game on the European VC!

Second today is another game that America's had for a fair while - Probotector II (Known as Super C America, the C obviously being for Contra). The second game in the series has the robots going against a bunch of aliens in what is basically more of the same as the original game. If you found the first game too hard, rejoice, as the second game is quite a bit easier. It's not that much easier that it's no challenge at all, though.

When we though this week couldn't get any better for game-related stuff....NoE give us Super Metroid.