NEurope
Tellyn

Virtual Console - All you need to know

Have you considered following things:

1) With current pace, Nintendo will release over 200 games during 2007, and over 1000 after five years. There isn't really that many great videogames around, so it just natural that the pace is slower. And what comes to current NES titles, Donkey Kong, Baseball, Tennis and Golf are few of the most best selling NES titles, only surpassed by Super Mario Bros.

2) If Nintendo had released, say, about 300 titles at same time, it would seriously hurt sales of most titles because they would simply go unnoticed. 3rd parties especially would suffer during the process. This is extremely important as Nintendo is trying to prove that 3rd parties that their games can sell on Wii (that's was also why WarioWare and Metroid Prime 3 were pushed farther on release scheducle).

3) You can easily gather more money by releasing titles in small batches. Why is that? Simply because customers pay more attention to latest titles when there is only few of them. They are more prone to do impulse purchases and buy titles that they would otherwise never buy.

Points well taken but theres are glaring flaws.

Say i want the US version of Castlevania IV (and i do). They may release it next week or 5 years from now. No one knows. By then i might have lost interest and theres goes a potential sale. That also cuts 4 years off Castlevania IV's ''shelf life,'' is that fair to Konami?

3 VC games a week? Thats pathetic, no matter the reason. I and probably the majority of Wii owners were expecting at least two or three games for EACH classic system per week

And finally, i want to embrace the VC and play these games legitimately but at this rate theyre almost begging me to use ROMS and emulators on my computer instead.

Points well taken but theres are glaring flaws.

Say i want the US version of Castlevania IV (and i do). They may release it next week or 5 years from now. No one knows. By then i might have lost interest and theres goes a potential sale. That also cuts 4 years off Castlevania IV's ''shelf life,'' is that fair to Konami?

Here is something to consider about shelf life. Sure, Konami could release their major hitters as one of the first titles, but would that be wise? No, because VC hasn't reached saturation point yet. Customer base is around 100 000, and when more titles come out, mysterious "Title X" is simply forgotten. Not because it's shitty game, but because there is more titles that draw attention away from it.

Let's go two years forward. Let's assume that there would be around million potential customers. Konami puts out mysterious "Title X", and suddenly, it gets whole spotlight for whole week. All of those 1 000 000 potential customers see it. Instead of simply being "another game on the list", it is star of the week. There will be more positive buzz around and many customers who wouldn't otherwise never be interested about it, will buy game just for sake of being "new".

Of course, game will be forgotten pretty soon, turning into "yet another game on the list". Still game has probably sold better during that first week than it would have sold if it had been on VC from day one. Timing is always important, and first week has always been most important saleswise*. Some games do have "legs" (like Final Fantasy, Super Mario Bros or Brain Training), but most titles don't simply have enough mainstream appeal for this.

Thought I'd use the VC, but I can't be bothered. Although this thread has made me play Gunstar heros on my PC again with a psx pad.

A good virtual console game would be Zombies Ate My Neighbours imo.

Bollocks, noticed you can put points on with a credit card and buckled, more out of curiosity than anything else. Got Sonic, mostly for my girlfriend and cos you can play it with the wii remote.

Is it my memory or is it slower than I remember it?

EDIT: Just booted it up in an emulator and, for me at least, it's MUCH slower on the Wii. Even the music's in slow mo. Also, it seems like if there's too many sound effects going on at once you lose some of them. Like if I stand under a waterfall there's some crappy white noise I don't remember from the original but if I jump and collect a ring at the same time, it cuts out till those sound effects are finished. There's been times when notes have gone missing from certain instruments in the slowmo music as well.

I know the pal version was slower, but I played that as a kid and I'm sure it wasn't THIS slow.

What an utter heap of shit, especially for about a fiver. I think I'll just play my retro games on PC emulators thank you.

EDIT2: I think I know why I notice it being so slow - I played the GG version much more than the MD version as a kid cos I had a GameGear and only played on the MD version at a friends house. So I'm used to playing that version at full speed with full speed music.

I know the pal version was slower, but I played that as a kid and I'm sure it wasn't THIS slow.

It was. GameGear version (which pretty much sucked, as it was based on SMS version) was much faster. At least all 50hz titles weren't slower than their NTSC counterparts due optimization.

Just played Gunstar Heroe for the first time ever! IT ROCKS! I downloaded Ristar by a mistake...oh well, won't make that mistake again!

Does anyone remember Mischief Makers on the N64? I would absolutly love to see that on the VC, anyone else? It was also made my Treasure, and I don't think it got a good reception, but over time it grew on me and I effing loved it! I really hope it comes out!

Does anyone remember Mischief Makers on the N64? I would absolutly love to see that on the VC, anyone else? It was also made my Treasure, and I don't think it got a good reception, but over time it grew on me and I effing loved it! I really hope it comes out!

Won't happen. Soon after Mischief Makers was released, Enix and Treasure started to argue how profits should be divided between two parties. They never came to solution that would have suited both companies, so they decided to pull Mischief Makers completely from the market*. Even today whole issue is still unsolved, and Treasure won't even talk about it with Square-Enix.

* That's why the game is so goddamn rare these days.

Well my girlfriend said it's exactly as she remembers it (And after watching her going in all the secret areas etc I guess she played it a lot!)

Won't happen. Soon after Mischief Makers was released, Enix and Treasure started to argue how profits should be divided between two parties. They never came to solution that would have suited both companies, so they decided to pull Mischief Makers completely from the market*. Even today whole issue is still unsolved, and Treasure won't even talk about it with Square-Enix.

* That's why the game is so goddamn rare these days.

Wow! Thanks for the info, thats a f%$king shame...:cry: I can always hope/pray...:santa::cry:

Is there anything known if (and maybe also when?) the following games will get released on the Virtual Console:

Super Mario All Stars

Super Mario Worls

Yoshi's Island

AND

Lufia (maybe even Japanese Lufia 1 because ours was Lufia 2 in Japan)

knowing Nintendo, All-Stars will be broken down and sold seperately. Yoshi's Island is getting re-released on the DS so dont expect the VC game anytime soon.

knowing Nintendo, All-Stars will be broken down and sold seperately. Yoshi's Island is getting re-released on the DS so dont expect the VC game anytime soon.

No, it's a SEQUEL on the DS. It was on the GBA, but I'm not sure about VC.

I am most interested in All Stars and Super Mario World...

P.S.: Breaking All Stars into parts would mean that they need to sell the NES games but they had not the graphic of Super Mario All Stars and for SNES there was only the whole thing (All Stars). So they will need to sell it as whole but probably they will release the NES-Games before (in parts) and afterwards release the whole thing...

Looks like Streetfighter 2 was closer than expected. The yanks get it christmas day along with Super Castlevania and Mario Bros.

Mario Bros. or Super Mario Bros.?

What exactly are you asking? Mario Bros is that shitty arcade one that they tacked onto the super mario advance games where you run around a single screen jumping at the floor to flip turtles. Super Mario Bros. is the platform game, which rocks.

Super Mario Bros and R-TYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We get ToeJam and Earl tomorrow and R-Type next week but we havent a sniff of SF2, hopefully it will be in the first game batch come new year.

Tomorrow .... hmm how about right now.... yep all the new games go up on a thursday night at 11 in the uk. Anyway im considering getting Toe Jam and Earl as i havent played it for years!

Ah btw.: Is there any sign of a firmware update to save (not copy) and play VC-Games from SD-Cards ? Would be kinda nice otherwise it could be that I might need to copy and delete things (later) from SD-Card to Wii-Console and vice versa to play things I want to play...

P.S.: Can you store your savegames on SD-Card? I believe one game asked me where to store the data so this should be possible..?

What exactly are you asking? Mario Bros is that shitty arcade one that they tacked onto the super mario advance games where you run around a single screen jumping at the floor to flip turtles. Super Mario Bros. is the platform game, which rocks.

Hero-of-Time said the yanks (Americans?) will get Mario Bros. soon, so I asked if he meaned Mario Bros. or Super Mario Bros. because that stupid Mario Bros. game is already available here in Europe, although nobody is interested in THAT game :)

Something more:

Will any Final Fantasy titles come out (if: when approximately) for the VC ?

I'm getting a 2000 points card for christmas but as tempted as I am to download a game there really isn't one in particular I want, I think i'll wait. The main thing I was excited about for the VC was games like Earthbound,Super Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger but looks like we might not even get them :(

Ghost Zero, it'll be easy for NIntendo to break up the code of All Stars, and what i'd image we'll see is NES versions released first, with the option to 'upgrade' to All Stars versions at a later date (for maybe 100 points).

Woop Nintendo VIP stars for buying VC titles, i got golden axe and it has added it to my VIP account, i didn't know it did that nifty :)