NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
CoolFunkMan

Songs you find depressing?

Bassicaly I need to research into depression for a project at uni. However, I've decided to take this on from a different angle - by looking at depressing songs and decyphering them. I'm hoping to get an idea of thier meaning and how that relates to depression in society today.

Plus it makes for an intersting topic! :heh: So, what songs do you find depressing and why?

*Oh, and before anyone says; I'm not trying to say music promotes depression/suicide, but makes people aware of these issues. Just thought I'd clear that up incase anyone got the wrong idea and I offended them.*

I think this is something that will vary a lot from person to person, as we all give a different meaning to songs, or we associate them with certain things. Like something bad happened in your life in a time period when you were listening a lot to a certain song; that song will then most likely remind you of that bad event every time you hear it again.

But yeah, if you want a list of songs I find depressing, I'll give you one. Though I noticed it's often the other way around, that when I'm feeling down or depressed, I listen to these songs cause they go well with my mood or something. Yeah...

The Veils with "Lavinia"

Stereophonics with "I miss you now"

Massive Attack with "Teardrop"

Arid with "Little things of venom"

Coldplay with "Beautiful world"

Absynthe Minded with "My heroics, part one"

Muse with "Muscle Museum" (I think it's because of the video clip, with all those people crying...)

Leela James with "Don't speak" (cover from a No Doubt song)

Muse with "Unintended"

Lamb with "Gabriel"

Moby with "Why does my heart feel so bad?" (this one just sorta speaks for itself, I think, with the title and stuff...)

I'm sure there's a ton more I have, but I think this list will do for now. ='D

I think this is something that will vary a lot from person to person, as we all give a different meaning to songs, or we associate them with certain things. Like something bad happened in your life in a time period when you were listening a lot to a certain song; that song will then most likely remind you of that bad event every time you hear it again.

That's a reason why I wanted other people's responses - because everyone has something personal to them, which various songs could link to. Thanks for the list too, deffo a great starting point.

That's a reason why I wanted other people's responses - because everyone has something personal to them, which various songs could link to. Thanks for the list too, deffo a great starting point.

I tried to give a reason to each song as to why I find them depressing, but I found that a lot of it is just related to past experiences and the like, so giving a specific reason for each song is kind of difficult.

I tried to give a reason to each song as to why I find them depressing, but I found that a lot of it is just related to past experiences and the like, so giving a specific reason for each song is kind of difficult.

I'm not expecting people to give exact reasons for why they find them depressing, it's understandable why most people won't be able to. If you have trouble with trying to explain why don't worry about it, the list is a huge help anyway. Thanks again for that.

I cant think of anything depressing... theres always the likes of Coldplay and James Blunt I suppose...

I just wanted to say that I dont find Muscle Museum nor Unintended depressing, Eenuh!

Blink 182 - Adam's Song, Stay Together for The Kids, I Miss You.

Coldplay - The Scientist

nothing more depressing than suicide is painless.

i mean'this game of life is hard to play.im going to lose it anyway'

wow.....just wow

The song in this video is the most depressing song I have ever heard. Depressing lyrics to a relatively upbeat tune make for a very eerie piece of music.

For reference, a minute or so into this clip is when it's played. Pretty fucked up and upsetting imagery.

Slade- Merry Christmas.

And Winter by Josh Raiden. It was used in the Svrubs episode My Screw Up to great effect :(

Lets see now, not many songs I really find depressing really. I don't like listening to music which makes me feel bad, I can do that job myself. :heh:

Radiohead- Fitter, happier: Just seems to point out the annoying mediocrity of general life, luckily it's followed by Electioneering which cheers me up again.

Electric Soft Parade- Bruxellisation: Kind of personal one, reminds me of a break up.

Gorkey's Zygotic Mynci- How I long: Nostalgia combined with longing for times past.

Jonathon Richman- Plea for tenderness: Just a really honest open song about longing for someone.

Leftfield- Swords: For reasons I really don't quite understand

Joy Division- Insight: Again not really sure why this more then some of their other songs.

Eels- It's a motherfucker: Lost love again... hmmm, I'm noticing a pattern.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds- The weeping song: The clues in the title, but it also gets me fired up with venomous anger at depressiveness with the line "but I wont be weeping long"

I don't know if depressing is the write word but The Wind Beneath by wings - because it was played at my mums funeral, and the lyrics I would usually just sing along to suddenly had loads of meaning.

The most depressing song I can think of is Rhianna (sp?) singing Unfaithful. Absolute tripe and how that slagbag can make money from singing about she goes behind her fellas back and sleeps with someone else. Guess why I find it depressing :P

Well the songs I find depressing are;

Coldplay - The Scientist

Radiohead - Fake Plastic Trees

Radiohead - Let Down

Mew - She Came Home for Christmas

Evanescence - You

Evanescence - Good Enough

Evanescence - Hello

Evanescence - Imaginary

Evanescence - Farther Away

Athlete - Trading Air

Athlete - Wires

Hope Of The States - Black Dollar Bills

Hope Of The States - The Church Choir

Johnny Cash - Hurt

Muse - Unintended

Blink182 - I Miss You

Nirvana - Something In The Way

Foo Fighters - Walking After You

Foo Fighters - Everlong

Kings Of Leon - Milk

Oasis - Sunday Morning Call

Libertines - Words

Libertines - Walking Away

Libertines - My Heart Will Go On

Stereophonics - I'm Alright (You Gotta Go There To Come Back)

Whao, that's a long list :P

I definitely agree with "Athlete - Wires"

Does the theme tune from Heartbeat count aswell? That has to be one of the most depressing pieces of music ever, as soon as you hear that you know the weekends over and it's back to work in the morning!

Fields of Gold by Eva Cassidy makes me a little teary, especially when you consider her circumstances.

Bob Dylan - If you see her say hello.

Always feel really sad having heard that song. It's basically about having split up with someone, but the music is really sad and the lyrics just click with something in me. Dunno what. Maybe my sensitive side :wtf:

[edit]

-OR-

Johnny Cash - Hurt

Quite a few mentioned already that I may have said including some Radiohead and Muse. Alot of the muse stuff really is depressing as im sure you will well know. The Wall in general is pretty depressing when given the meaning i suppose and The Great Gig in The Sky and Us and Them can be depressing songs. Also is it untitled 1 by keane - i seem to recall that being pretty sad.

Placebo - Lazarus. A new b-side I only heard today. "So bored of being alive"

Edit: And OK, the other b-side, "UNEEDMEMORETHANINEEDU". Distorted vocals, the title is all you can make out. Powerful.

Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah

QFT.

The orchestrated music of Final Fantasy 7 gets me pretty down sometimes, only because the music actually means something to me, it makes me sad.

Coldplay

All of the songs I've heard by them are too mellow and depressing.

Sign in to follow this